AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
My Heart to Fear - Lost Between Brilliance and... Album Cover

My Heart to Fear - Lost Between Brilliance and...

Reviewed by
My Heart to FearLost Between Brilliance and Insanity EP
Record Label: Solid State Records
Release Date: November 30th, 2012
A few weeks ago, I went to the mall, and went into the store Hot Topic. Before anyone calls me a “scene kid,” despite it being almost 2013, there was a time when there was good music in that store, and there still is. I actually picked up the new No Bragging Rights record along with an EP by the band My Heart to Fear, who are a recent signee to Solid State Records, which is/was home to bands like August Burns Red, Underoath, and Norma Jean, to name a few. I had never heard of this band before until I saw a copy of it, but I had a feeling they were metalcore or post-hardcore. Nonetheless, I decided to pick it up, because I had hopes that it would be good, and everything in the store was buy one, get one 50% off, so I thought I may as well pick it up. I came home and put it on my iTunes and was quite impressed with it. The only downside, however, is that this band really doesn’t anything new or thinks outside the box, really. Regardless of that, though, there are hints of potential, and I like hints. There are some very awesome parts on this 17-minute EP, and I think that’s why I like it, because it’s not too short, but not too long, either. It’s great for bands to start out with EPs, because then they can transition into a full length. This is the perfect band for that, because there are some generic moments on here, but compared with the glimpses of potential, it’s worth overlooking.

The EP starts off with “Blood Money,” and this what I meant by generic; the first couple of tracks took a few listens for me to get used to their sound. I’m too crazy about vocalist Trevor Pool. His scream is unique, certainly, but it takes some time getting used to. Regardless, his scream is very unique and not awful, by no means. His clean vocals are just rather generic, though. They’re not awful, but nothing spectacular, either. Thankfully, he uses his cleans quite sparingly. One thing I do like is the instrumentation; actual “metal” guitar riffs take control instead of “chug-chug” breakdowns, and that’s what I like about this EP and this band so much. There are some breakdowns but they are quite fun and interesting. The band describes itself as fantasy and theatrical on their Facebook page, which is true, to some degree. They do have some theatrical elements in these five tracks, usually coming in the form of synth/keys. The first two tracks“Blood Money” and “Life Under the Stairs” is a pair of great tracks, but they’re rather weak, in terms of the last three. Third track, “Legends Never Die” starts off with a cool synth riff by Taylor Pool and then it explodes into a very heavy affair. This is when the musicianship and instrumentation start getting a lot more interesting and some of the generic elements begin to fade. The only problem is, every song does sound quite similar. While they’re not terrible, it’s just, there’s not too much variety. That’s not to say it’s generic, because it’s certainly possible to be unique yet still suffer from every song sounding quite alike. In the end, it’s quite forgivable, because this is only 17 minutes, so it’s not a full length. If it were a full length, I’d have more problems, but it’s not that bad. The last two tracks are enjoyable as well, and there are some very interesting guitar riffs by Dale Upright, and Jay Graham, in both songs, so they’re not awful. In fact, the EP ends on a nice note with “The Witching Hour.” In the end, this is a very nice EP for a band who’s got quite a bit of potential. I can’t wait to see what these guys put out next, because I’m sure it’ll be great.

Recommended If You Like August Burns Red, Underoath, Norma Jean, I The Breather, Stick to Your Guns, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Blood Money
2. Life Under the Stairs
3. Legends Never Die
4. Dear Mr. White
5. The Witching Hour

My Heart to Fear is:
Trevor Pool – Lead vocals
Dale Upright – Lead Guitar / Back Vocals
Jay Graham – Rhythm Guitar
Taylor Pool – Bass / Synths / Back Vocals
Luke Brady – Drums / Back Vocals

www.facebook.com/myhearttofear
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
06:47 PM on 01/29/13
barkjon
belle and me
User Info.
Ripping off My Heart To Joy's name all day erryday

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles