AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Broadway Calls - 1.31.13

Broadway Calls - 1.31.13

Interviewed by
Broadway Calls - 1.31.13Broadway Calls is gearing up to release Comfort/Distraction on February 5 through No Sleep and we got on the phone with vocalist/guitarist Ty Vaughn to discuss the band's latest release and more:

It's getting to be almost four years since Good News, Bad Views came out. Any particular reason for the longer break?

Sort of yeah, we decided fairly early on that we didn’t want to feel rushed writing this record like we did with the last record. I feel like Good News, Bad Views had a really rough writing process, we were only writing that one for a couple months and we really don’t write very fast. We decided to take our time with this one and we wanted to make a record that had no filler songs in our opinion. We just tried to make every song as good as it could possibly be.

When did you start writing?

We started writing back in 2010, right after Adam joined the band. In 2011 we sort of decided we should put out some music and tour so we released the Toxic Kids EP and then after that we still kept writing. We just kept going until March 2012 because that’s when we had the studio time booked.

What motivated you to go back to the Blasting Room?

Bill is kind of like family to us now and he was very supportive of us on our last record. We just kind of clicked. He was really helpful and really excited about making another record with us and we felt the same about him. It wasn’t a hard decision and we didn’t really have anyone else in mind either.

Can you talk a little bit about making the transition from SideOneDummy to No Sleep?

Basically what happened was we were writing the record and we knew we wanted to schedule the recording for March. We thought we were making the record for SideOneDummy and we were sending them demos and getting positive feedback from everybody at the label. Then they waited until the last minute to tell us they weren’t going to make the record. It was really confusing and strange and we had to figure out basically within 24 hours whether we would cancel the recording session, which would mean not getting in for awhile because the Blasting Room is booked up for months at a time. We decided to just go for it and pay for it ourselves. After we were finished we sent it to No Sleep and they were really excited about it. I think they’re a great label and we wouldn’t have sent them the record if we weren’t into what they were doing. They decided to work with us and it’s been awesome so far.

How would you personally say this record varies from Good News, Bad Views?

We wanted to make it a little more varied and we wanted to make sure every song on the record was something that we’d want to play live. After we made the record and started practicing for this tour we realized that was what we made so that was cool. There’s a lot of songs on Good Views that we’ve never played live, at least half the record I think. With this one I think we’ll end up playing most of them, if not all of them.

So you don’t have fun playing those songs live or is there more to it?

I don’t know, we get a better reaction from the crowd with the songs from our first record. You kind of just realize what songs people paying to see you live want to hear. It’s about the crowd and those are the ones that are fun to play. There’s some that might be cool to listen to, but they’re not really fun to play, so we just want to stick to the ones we have fun with.

What’s your favourite song on the new record?

I really like “Lucky Lighter,” I think that’s a little bit different for us. But I’d have to say my favourite is “Surrounded by Ghosts” because that’s a song I listen to and think ‘That’s exactly what Broadway Calls sounds like to me.’ I think it’s a good representation of what we are as a band and also it came together really quickly when we wrote it. I remember the practice for that song, it was really easy and there was no struggle about it at all. It felt right.

I noticed the line Comfort/Distraction in “Open Letter” and I was wondering why you pulled it out as the title?

Yeah, that’s basically what the song is, it’s an open letter. It’s a song to the kids that listen to bands and take the lyrics and the ideas behind the songs and can connect with it to their own lives. I’ve personally heard songs before that have made me think about situations in a totally different way that I probably wouldn’t have before. That song is sort of a tribute to the whole idea that music can do that, it can be a comfort or a distraction. That’s really all I try to do when I write songs and hopefully they can connect the song to their lives in some way too. It’s kind of hard to explain, but it’s a fairly basic idea, the idea of enjoying music on a superficial level and a deeper emotional level as well.

I asked readers to submit some questions and we’re going to get into those now. Which song is the hardest for you to play emotionally?

There’s certain songs we wrote a long time ago that I don’t really feel any emotional connection with anymore and that’s kind of a different but related thing. A song like “Fuck You Seattle,” I have fun playing it and I like the melody, but I have no emotional connection with the lyrics anymore. I kind of feel silly singing those lyrics sometimes because I think they’re pretty juvenile and that they’re written from the point of video of a guy who really didn’t know what he’s talking about when he wrote it. It’s a fun song to play, but I just can’t connect with it anymore. When we play it live we hope other people have a connection and that’s a reason to keep playing it too.

Any bands you haven't toured with yet, but want to in the future?

Yeah absolutely, I’d love to tour with Against Me!, they’re one of my favourite bands. We did Warped Tour together, but that’s not a real tour when it comes down to it. I’d love to tour with the Bronx, we don’t really fit together very well, but it would be fun to watch them every night and they were on Warped Tour as well. As for smaller bands, there’s so many. I’d love to do an extended tour with The Sidekicks and Cheap Girls.

Did you ever consider adding another fourth member?

We tried that twice. When we first started the band we were a three piece, then Josh’s brother joined right after we recorded the Call the Medic... EP and he played guitar on our first record. But he never toured before and realized touring wasn’t for him so he left the band and we had another guy for a tour and a half and that didn’t work out at all. Since then we’ve just decided to keep it simple as a three piece because it works for us. Basically the only reason we would have another guitar player is so I could be lazier as a guitar player. Our songs are pretty simple and while there can be two guitar parts we have figured out how to make it work live.

What are your thoughts on Kickstarter?

In emergency situations, if we had several months of touring lined up and our van died then possibly. But I don’t know if I’d ever use it to make a record or anything like that, I think it’s best to be saved for emergency situations.

What's next for Broadway Calls in 2013?

We’ll be touring as long as we can on the record and try to go to as many places in the world that we’ve never been before. We’ve never been to Australia, New Zealand, far eastern Europe or South America. We’re going to Mexico for the first time next month and then Europe. We’re just trying to travel basically and that’s one of the best parts of being in a band. I would never be able to afford going to Japan or Europe on my own so this is the way we can do it.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
09:23 AM on 01/31/13
NoScene NoHerd
User Info.
nice to see they're still at it
09:48 AM on 01/31/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
nice to see they're still at it
Same! The new record has some really awesome songs on it.
10:43 AM on 01/31/13
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.
I'm bummed that there's a chunk of Good Views I'll never hear live, haha. Great interview though.
10:47 AM on 01/31/13
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Cool, new record is soli. Excited to see them for the first time since 2010 on Monday
11:53 AM on 01/31/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I'm bummed that there's a chunk of Good Views I'll never hear live, haha. Great interview though.

Thanks! And yeah, I was a bit surprised to hear that. Although I'm not really familiar with what they play live either, it's been a few years since I saw them open for The Flatliners.
01:51 PM on 01/31/13
billcom6
AP Addict
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
A little let down you didn't ask him my question about how they now feel about having a that song about literally crying when Obama won the 2008 election.
01:55 PM on 01/31/13
saddr weirdr
User Info.
A little let down you didn't ask him my question about how they now feel about having a that song about literally crying when Obama won the 2008 election.
They never play that song at shows. I wonder why. I really do.
02:01 PM on 01/31/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.

Sorry, but it's because I already asked them about "Election Night" three years ago:

"Yeah, “Election Night” is a true story. We were in Florida after the Fest and our van broke down once again. We had to get a new starter and we had a long drive that day so we had to cancel the show that night. So skipping that show we’d drive from Florida to Richmond, Virginia to make the next show. That night driving we were listening to radio all night listening to the election coverage. We were all blown away by what was happening and really hopeful and excited. I’ve gotten a lot of crap for that song too because people are like ‘Oh, it’s an Obama love song’ and it’s not an Obama love song. It’s a song about how we were feeling that night and how everyone we knew was feeling with the same hope and excitement. We didn’t think it was actually going to change the world completely, but it was the best thing that could have happened that day."

And I really didn't see the need to bring it up again. I don't see the controversy surrounding that song and even though I'm Canadian I think it's a really, really good thing that Obama beat McCain in that election. And I also think it's an incredibly good thing that Romney didn't win a few months ago.
02:03 PM on 01/31/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
They never play that song at shows. I wonder why. I really do.
Probably because so many people complained to them about that song, even though there's absolutely nothing wrong with that song.
02:08 PM on 01/31/13
saddr weirdr
User Info.
Probably because so many people complained to them about that song, even though there's absolutely nothing wrong with that song.
I was joking, haha. Nothing wrong with the song, but it's cheesy as hell.
02:53 PM on 01/31/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I was joking, haha. Nothing wrong with the song, but it's cheesy as hell.
Alright, I almost never pick up sarcasm on the Internet, haha. I personally think they've written some cheesier lines, but that's just me.
09:28 PM on 01/31/13
billcom6
AP Addict
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sorry, but it's because I already asked them about "Election Night" three years ago:

"Yeah, “Election Night” is a true story. We were in Florida after the Fest and our van broke down once again. We had to get a new starter and we had a long drive that day so we had to cancel the show that night. So skipping that show we’d drive from Florida to Richmond, Virginia to make the next show. That night driving we were listening to radio all night listening to the election coverage. We were all blown away by what was happening and really hopeful and excited. I’ve gotten a lot of crap for that song too because people are like ‘Oh, it’s an Obama love song’ and it’s not an Obama love song. It’s a song about how we were feeling that night and how everyone we knew was feeling with the same hope and excitement. We didn’t think it was actually going to change the world completely, but it was the best thing that could have happened that day."

And I really didn't see the need to bring it up again. I don't see the controversy surrounding that song and even though I'm Canadian I think it's a really, really good thing that Obama beat McCain in that election. And I also think it's an incredibly good thing that Romney didn't win a few months ago.
I didn't know you had already asked them about it, so that is kind of cool.
Though I still think it would be a relevant question, if you asked them how their opinion of that night has changed in the last 4 years, since some people have been less than happy with what Obama has actually done vs. what they thought he would actually do on election night.
And I personally never found the song to be controversial, I just always found it really funny that they started crying because Obama won the election.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos