Password

08:42 PM on 02/01/13 
User Info.
barkjon
//
Seattle, WA
Male - 17 Years Old
Hey guys.

Sooo, I'm a huge fan of TGA, so I'm looking for some bands that have a similar sound to them, that sorta folky-punk thing going on (don't rec Springsteen, tried and failed to get into him). Recs please?

EDIT: and what album of their's to start with, if possible
10:28 PM on 02/01/13 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old
Hey guys.

Sooo, I'm a huge fan of TGA, so I'm looking for some bands that have a similar sound to them, that sorta folky-punk thing going on (don't rec Springsteen, tried and failed to get into him). Recs please?

Chamberlain - The Moon, My Saddle
American Steel - Rogues March & Destroy Their Future
Daybreaker - The Northbound Trains
Banquets - Top Button, Bottom Shelf
Nightmares for a Week - Don't Die
The Evening Rig - Is Doin' Stuff & Nothing to Hear Here
Lightning Dust - Infinite Light
Nothington - All In
05:47 PM on 02/02/13 
User Info.
barkjon
//
Seattle, WA
Male - 17 Years Old
Chamberlain - The Moon, My Saddle
American Steel - Rogues March & Destroy Their Future
Daybreaker - The Northbound Trains
Banquets - Top Button, Bottom Shelf
Nightmares for a Week - Don't Die
The Evening Rig - Is Doin' Stuff & Nothing to Hear Here
Lightning Dust - Infinite Light
Nothington - All In

cool, thanks man! I'll check some of em.

People have rec'd me Against Me!, The Bouncing Souls, and Frank Turner - where to start?
06:19 PM on 02/02/13 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old

People have rec'd me Against Me!, The Bouncing Souls, and Frank Turner - where to start?

Against Me! New Wave is personally my favorite but there are fans out there who'd probably want to kill me for saying that.

Bouncing Souls - How I Spent My Summer Vacation is one of my favorite albums of all time. Start there. Hopeless Romantic is also fantastic, and all their album ares really really good.

Frank Turner - Love Ire & Song is also one of my favorite albums of all time. Start there. Everything he does is also excellent. Will be interesting to see if you like him if you couldn't get into Bruce, but certainly try. He is one of the best things currently happening to music.

Also must listens for any Gaslight fan:

Hot Water Music - Start with Caution.

The Menzingers - easily the best punk rock band to emerge post Gaslight. If you didn't check out On the Impossible Past after it deservedly got AoTY year do so now. (Also if you actually are in Seattle, go to their show with HWM at Showbox next week)

The Loved Ones - Keep Your Heart and Build & Burn are both perfectly fine starting choices. Also they are probably the "most similar sounding to SoS era Gaslight" in my mind.

The Lawrence Arms - I'd say start with Greatest Story Ever Told, but not really a bad choice here either.

Lucero - I started with 1372 Overton Park and that worked fine. Hard to pick a favorite. But Overton Park is probably the most Gaslight esq so starting there can't hurt.

A good test of "bands like gaslight to listen to" is to see who plays on the revival tour, and then checkout the band they front.
06:26 PM on 02/02/13 
User Info.
barkjon
//
Seattle, WA
Male - 17 Years Old
^thanks! I already loooveee the Menzingers. I'm grabbing AM!, HWM, Frank Turner, and the Bouncing Souls stuff, but will certainly check out the other bands too!

And yeah, heard about the Showbox show. Would love to go, but I'm busy :( isn't La Dispute playing too?
06:30 PM on 02/02/13 
User Info.
qwerty22
--
Maryland
Male
Hey guys.

Fake Problems.
Lawrence Arms.
Menzingers.

They aren't as clean sounding as Gaslight though.
11:40 PM on 02/02/13 
User Info.
mrnegativezero
You wanted to set the world on fire
Southern California
Male - 22 Years Old
I completely jumped on the wagon for AM! with New Wave. Love that album so much. White Crosses is pretty legit too.
02:24 AM on 02/03/13 
User Info.
richardcph
Perth, AUST
Male - 23 Years Old
The Mezingers for sure, if you're into TGA
08:35 AM on 02/03/13 
User Info.
barkjon
//
Seattle, WA
Male - 17 Years Old
Been listening to alot of TGA recently, and I'm still convinced that SoS is their best release (not by much, though). So many good songs, so much passion.
10:06 AM on 02/03/13 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old

for Against Me! check out Reinventing Axl Rose and As the Eternal Cowboy for them at their folk-punkiest. And look into Sam Russo. His debut album, Storm, is pretty sweet. when Sink or Swim came out, Gaslight got a lot of comparisons to American Steel, Against Me! and Lucero (see: That Much Further West; Tennessee).

Also, try Avail - Over the James and Front Porch Stories (ESSENTIAL)
05:59 PM on 02/03/13 
User Info.
kehuchau
No Avatar Selected
edmonton
Male
Been listening to alot of TGA recently, and I'm still convinced that SoS is their best release (not by much, though). So many good songs, so much passion.

Yep SOS still the best!
01:42 AM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
England
Male - 25 Years Old
Let Me Run - Meet Me At The Bottom
11:28 AM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
6george4
No Avatar Selected
Male - 24 Years Old
BLACKWATER '64: Good time Rock n' Roll from St.Louis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2JLp4h9NxA

http://www.facebook.com/Blackwater64
12:18 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
qwerty22
--
Maryland
Male

I feel the same way, even though I like everything that came after. Those songs aren't super innovative, but they never get old. I go through phases with that album where I listen to it nonstop for weeks.
12:50 PM on 02/04/13 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
Hey guys.

The Replacements, Banquets, Against Me!, Lucero, Gin Blossoms (more on the pop end of things), maybe try Titus Andronicus, Langhorne Slim, Riverboat Gamblers, later stuff by The Weakerthans (kind of).

But mostly The Replacements. Best advice anyone will ever give you. And try Springsteen again you schmuck, which album did you listen to?

Edit: Saw you wanted albums. For The Replacements go with Tim or Let It Be, the AM! and Lucero albums already mentioned in this thread are good, Banquets hasn't done much so get everything they have, New Miserable Experience is the only Gin Blossoms record that counts. The Monitor for Titus, try Langhorne Slim's newest record, To the Confusion of Our Enemies for Riverboat Gamblers, and Reconstruction Site for The Weakerthans.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos