AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

11:16 AM on 02/06/13 
User Info.
CheckeredFloors
nah
Male - 21 Years Old
Up at 3am to get one of the limited silk screen prints for that movie thing and that shit just disappeared from cart as I was logging in. Am mad.
01:11 PM on 02/06/13 
User Info.
evvandflow
full of shit and free beer
Boston
Male - 25 Years Old
Hey guys.

Sooo, I'm a huge fan of TGA, so I'm looking for some bands that have a similar sound to them, that sorta folky-punk thing going on (don't rec Springsteen, tried and failed to get into him). Recs please?

EDIT: and what album of their's to start with, if possible

Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
02:51 PM on 02/06/13 
User Info.
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
England
Male - 25 Years Old
So excited to see them again next month, just added Japandroids to the mix. What a show!
05:56 PM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
S/T
There's a lot of buzz around Lenny
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/vi...itten-20130219
09:02 PM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
evvandflow
Boston
Male - 25 Years Old
pretty rad
09:21 PM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
Indiana
Male - 24 Years Old
Hey I'm probably Springsteen fan #3 on this site behind other Chris (cshadows) and Craig, so I'll speak to this.

In my opinion at least (and many others'), Born to Run is always going to be the best album recommend to 98% of people as an entry point to the Springsteen catalog (the other 2% being those rare breeds who only dig Nebraska of his work). The reason for that is simple: it's his best album. It also contains some of his most instantly recognizable (and best) songs, and is the most concise and clear encapsulation of what Bruce is and what his music represents. Sure that has changed somewhat from album to album over time, but there's a reason people's minds always jump to Born to Run when they think of Bruce: it's the most critical piece of the Springsteen story.

That being said, I absolutely understand where you're coming from in rec'ing Wrecking Ball to him, in terms of the sound of the album alone. It is a great record and has some moments that sound a lot like what he's looking for. I'm gonna have to take issue with you suggesting it's arguably his best vocal work though. Not knocking his vocals on the record obviously.....but goddamn man you can't stack it up against Darkness and expect it to come out on top haha.

Speaking of, I would recommend Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River (particularly the first half) as other places for him to look in the Springsteen catalog based upon what we know he likes.

Anyway, that's that.
heh.

rec'ing.

wrecking.

rec'ing ball.

/my brilliant input
09:23 PM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
Indiana
Male - 24 Years Old
okay seriously though, wrecking ball is an awesome record and i think it'd be totally reasonable to recommend it as a starting point to a gaslight fan. and speaking of darkness on the edge of town, i can't be the only one here who thinks the version of "racing in the street" from the promise is a million times better than the "original" version.

well, technically it IS the original version but you know what i mean. haha.
11:20 PM on 02/19/13 
User Info.
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
Hillsborough, NJ
Male
Racing in the Street Live is incredible. Also, Darkness on the Edge of Town or The River is where I'd start if I was just a Gaslight fan having never listened to Bruce before. Everyone will find something they like on The River I think.
11:19 PM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
ImTheSheriff
///
Male - 25 Years Old
seeing them next monday. can't fucking wait.
08:25 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 23 Years Old
I've recently become obsessed with Keepsake ... I have no idea why but thats my new favorite song on handwritten
05:27 PM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
TheOtherAndrew
[UNINTELLIGIBLE SCREAMING]
Baton Rouge, LA
Male - 26 Years Old
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-g...down-wi,92973/

Weak shit.
09:15 PM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
evvandflow
Boston
Male - 25 Years Old
well he's right
09:15 PM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
Indiana
Male - 24 Years Old
Yeah, Hash Pipe is terrible.
09:20 AM on 02/27/13 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
seeing them next monday. can't fucking wait.

I know we don't know each other, but if yuo're feeling generous, would you be willing to pick me up the new El Jefe tour poster they have? It's got a pilot standing in front of an airplane on it. I'll pay for it + shipping and a few extra bucks for your trouble. Or I'll send you some records.

This goes for anyone else going to this tour, too. I'm hoping I can find a kind hearted soul on here that'll hook me up.
12:11 PM on 02/27/13 
User Info.
ImTheSheriff
///
Male - 25 Years Old
I know we don't know each other, but if yuo're feeling generous, would you be willing to pick me up the new El Jefe tour poster they have? It's got a pilot standing in front of an airplane on it. I'll pay for it + shipping and a few extra bucks for your trouble. Or I'll send you some records.

This goes for anyone else going to this tour, too. I'm hoping I can find a kind hearted soul on here that'll hook me up.

Definitely. Is it a limited edition thing?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos