Username
Password
UndertheGunReview News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 48.
12:41 PM on 02/07/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
Vinyl is about the whole physical experience. Color goes into that too.

The whole idea behind limited pressings of records is incredibly dumb anyways. All it does is encourage this kind of behavior by enticing collectors to buy it and hope the price goes up. But like, a band doesn't profit when a record gets resold, so why does a band need to encourage that behavior? Do they think it will cause more records to be sold?

There this weird irony at play. If Title Fight were to sell copies of the Floral Green colored pressing for $100, people would throw fits at them charging so much. So instead what happens is the guys with fast fingers and nothing better to do make an $80 profit just by making a few mouse clicks and we're supposed to all be okay with that? If the demand dictates that the record be sold at $100, I'd rather the band get that whole $100 instead of random blokes on the internet.
well well said.
12:42 PM on 02/07/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
I understand--quite personally--that colored vinyl has appeal, but those willing to pay $85 extra to have green/red vinyl rather than black are such idiots I can't bring myself to care.

Don't you at least care that the band isn't getting the $85? Instead its some random bloke exploiting the Band's goodwill of pricing the record at an affordable pricepoint?
01:18 PM on 02/07/13
Chuck!
treat yo self
User Info.
Don't you at least care that the band isn't getting the $85? Instead its some random bloke exploiting the Band's goodwill of pricing the record at an affordable pricepoint?
I honestly don't understand this argument. The secondary market for vinyl can be insanely random, so sometimes flippers cash in and sometimes they don't. It's the nature of any collectible. For every Floral Green, there's another record flippers stocked up on that turned out to be a poor investment when eBay sales didn't explode.

So I guess the answer is "no." In no circumstances could a band like Title Fight sell a record for $100 and retain its integrity/reputation, so I don't see any relevance.
01:28 PM on 02/07/13
JPA917
@JPA05
User Info.
Good read. Now someone sell me Deja Entendu and The Devil and God for $20 apiece please.
01:32 PM on 02/07/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.

Lol. The band doesn't see this money anyway.
01:49 PM on 02/07/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
Good read. Now someone sell me Deja Entendu and The Devil and God for $20 apiece please.
yes, I like this idea.
02:20 PM on 02/07/13
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Fun and well put read.
02:57 PM on 02/07/13
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
I understand--quite personally--that colored vinyl has appeal, but those willing to pay $85 extra to have green/red vinyl rather than black are such idiots I can't bring myself to care.

Word. The music's gonna sound the same no matter what color it's on, why blow $100 on an album that can be had for $15? If you're going to collect vinyl, be prepared to pay collector prices. At their current prices, I will never own Deja Entendu, Crisis, And The Battle Begun, or Dog Problems on vinyl. Am I entitled to those at a price that I would deem reasonable? Not really. They're rare and highly sought after by collectors - of course they're going to sell at higher price points and I'm not going to begrudge anyone for unloading them for more than what they paid. That's just the way the game is played, and the music is still out there for me to listen to (albeit in a lesser quality format).
04:00 PM on 02/07/13
thenewline
memories from ashes
User Info.

Add In Reverie to that list. Haven't seen it sell for less than fifty in a while.
05:55 PM on 02/07/13
anamericangod
User Info.
This has been discussed over and over again since any sort of collectible vinyl has existed. It will never go away, and it will never change. The best way to combat it is to put cart limits in place for orders.

That said, I can't say I blame people for snagging a copy or copies of something they know is going to be valuable and have demand.
06:34 PM on 02/07/13
bigmike
...is "big" and "mike"
User Info.
I hate basic supply and demand too you guys! Fuck economics!
06:47 PM on 02/07/13
InExile
AOTY: Broad Shoulders by Dikembe
User Info.
Waaa Waaa Waaa

How about the record labels produce enough to meet demand? I have no problems with someone buying an extra vinyl or 2 to flip. People have kids to feed, who the fuck are you to tell them how to feed their kids? Exactly. Now go learn something about economics and be more prepared the next time your favorite band comes out with a limited vinyl that their record label couldnt match demand for so you can buy it at retail price.

*drops mic*
07:00 PM on 02/07/13
steve187
nah
User Info.
it's been said enough but yea this is something that will never change
09:16 PM on 02/07/13
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
Waaa Waaa Waaa

How about the record labels produce enough to meet demand? I have no problems with someone buying an extra vinyl or 2 to flip. People have kids to feed, who the fuck are you to tell them how to feed their kids? Exactly. Now go learn something about economics and be more prepared the next time your favorite band comes out with a limited vinyl that their record label couldnt match demand for so you can buy it at retail price.

*drops mic*
If they're buying records to sell on Ebay so they can feed their families, then they have fucked up priorities and they should take a good hard look at themselves.
09:17 PM on 02/07/13
Choose Bronze
So Weird
User Info.
What people need to realize, its NOT the bands, labels, Hot topic or anyone elses fault. Records/vinyl is just that, if you are a fan/collector, you get it. If you arent, you dont.

Vinyl used to be the most popular format, to then die down largely. However, vinyl has ALWAYS been a part of the "underground" scene. So thats where i am speaking from. I have been collecting for 12 years of my life and through out that, Ebay has existed. There also used to be a totally Free and DIY/Honor system auction site called Skylab Commerece when i was in high school and i NEVER saw this kind of behavior. There was no such thing as record "flipping".

If a record went for a lot of money, it did, but it was never because of the reasons we have today. You and I's the Curtain Falls went for so much cause eventually, things go OOP or the band breaks up. Those were usually the standards, because people who bought LPs wanted them to love and admire. So nothing was rarely sold immediately after purchase. If anyone bought multiples, it cause they literally WANTED every single one of those copies. It also made well when it came to trading. Long ago thats really how it was done, not so much selling, but trading. Which still does go on.

Even then(12 years ago) and long before that, there has never been a obligatory "Demand" to keep up with. Which brings me to this. In our ever growing world, the line has been blurred between "underground" and "mainstream" as it seems now "our" little world is way larger than we ever thought it could be or thought it would be. So obviously demand has risen. As mentioned in the article, along with demand, people has realized that its super cool to have something on a larger format, ltd, etc. BUT WHAT YOU NEED TO GRASP IS vinyl is forever going to be colors, short runs, screen printed covers, numbered etc. THATS WHAT IT IS, WHY DO YOU EVER WANT TO CHANGE THAT? It was like this before you liked vinyl and long after you decide you dont want it anymore.

What it really comes down to is this, YOU/WE have a choice. YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY $100+ for a record. You can say no. I do it every day. I have mark, which i refuse to go over and pay for something. We all have our different standards and bank accounts, but the reason people are flipping is cause they know they can. If peoples records arent selling at their ridiculous set prices, they'll lower them. Be confident in knowing that you WILL own that record one day, but its just gonna take patience. Thats something i do, personally. Thats the thrill of the hunt, thats record collecting. As silly as it sounds "why would i put off something i really like and want" well, im only suggesting but I think if everyone who actually cares stood up, things could change, cause again, it wasnt always like this, i know it for a FACT, so to say itll never change or "as long as" is lazy and apathetic.

Records used to be a gamble, there were no pre-orders(which i think is largely the problem. everything is pre-order today, and these outrages packages, i dont care if it comes with all this other shit no one really wants or needs, if you want a label to fix things and print a higher demand of a record, well they did already, and it happens to come with a bunch of junk they will actually make money off of, throwing vinyl to the wayside). You used to have to go to your local shop or a store or find i distro online(No Idea Records or Revelation Records, etc). NOTHING was ever labeled. You bought the record cause you wanted to and if you broke that seal at home and it was on a color, HOLY SHIT!

Until then, let those without passion be taken advantage of and when vinyl is yet again uncool, there will be people laughing paying $12.31 for a record you payed $200 for 2 years ago. We will survive.

fuck Lazyboardrecords on Ebay.

Sorry for my tangent. This is just something that gets to me. enjoy arguing about whatever it is youre going to argue about. good day!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS