AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Stellar Young - 02.12.13

Interviewed by
Stellar Young - 02.12.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Stellar Young

http://stellaryoung.com
http://stellaryoungmusic.bandcamp.com
http://stellaryoungmusic.tumblr.com
http://facebook.com/stellaryoungmusic (all music is "pay what you want")
http://twitter.com/stellar_young
http://instagram.com/stellar_young

John Glenn - Vocals, keyboard
Erik Flora - Vocals, Guitar
Kyle Hatch - Guitar
Curt Mulick - Drums
Dave Parker - Bass

1. How did you get your band name?

John: It was actually a very funny process. We decided that we needed a change; we had new members, our former name (The City Never Sleeps) was just too long and easily messed up, etc. So we made a private group message on facebook where we all just brainstormed names. Eventually we sifted through pages, picked the top five, and took a vote on it using ballots in a box. Needless to say we picked Stellar Young, which was just meant to be a cool way of saying “all that is born from the stars”.

2. How did this band get started?

John: Well Curt (drums), Erik (guitar/vocals) and I have been playing music together since we were sophomores in High School in 2004. But I would say the band as it is now, started when we asked Kyle (lead guitar) to join the band a few summers back. He was Curt’s college room mate, a great friend of ours that we would always party with and we all respected him as a talented guitarist; so it just made sense. After Kyle joined, we needed a bassist and were new to the area, so we went around playing open mics as an acoustic act. It just so happened that one of the first open mics we played was at “The Muddy Cup”, where we met Dave. Dave was the missing piece to the puzzle. He’s produced both of our most recent albums and has definitely brought a lot to table as well as filling the role of “tasty bass”.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

John: What I think is interesting is that our influences are really all over the map, we all listen to everything and I’m sure that seeps into our sound. But I’d say our styles are a little more specific as far as influences and it’s easier to point out other people's styles than your own. Like Dave came from a heavy punk and prog-rock background. Kyle studied Jazz guitar but was also really influenced by bands like Dave Matthews and Incubus. Curt has always been into a lot of hip-hop and dance-rock stuff. And Erik has always been playing all kinds of emotional or energetic rock songs from Moneen to Death Cab, and lately he’s been on a big “Bon Iver” kick.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

John: That’s a great question, because not only do you want to tour with a band that plays good music but you want to tour with a band you think you’d mesh well with. Bands that have a similar energy on the stage and that you can be friends with off the stage. So I’m going to say either Gwar or Foo Fighters.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

John: There’s the easy stomach-fillers on the road, like trail mix and pizza, but my favorite food is spaghetti. I just gotta figure out the easiest way to boil water on the road!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

John: Because it’s sincere. We feel all the songs we play, and hopefully they’re as interesting and pleasing to listen to as they are fun to play.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

John: The athletes I’d most like to switch with are for reasons outside their athleticism. Like it would be awesome to switch places with Gordon Ramsey, be a respected cook and food critic, fly around the world eating all kinds of the most delicious foods. Or be David Beckham and make sweet love to Posh Spice.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

John: I’d thank all of our families. I know all of us have come from families that are really supportive in their own way. Have either allowed us to practice in their home, or come to our shows, etc.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

John: In a lot ways the Music Industry is cooler then ever. I mean, never before have we had as much access to music from all over the world. But the entire industry is in a state of transition and trying to figure out how it all works.

10. Memorable tour experience?

John: One time we played this show in Plattsburgh at an art gallery, and the last band that played stopped in the middle of their set and brought out this punch bowl filled with red liquid and a stack of solo cups. Then the band members went around handing the audience cups and telling everyone to grab some punch. Surprisingly almost everyone filled their cups (some more reluctantly than others including myself). After the punch was distributed the singer whipped out an old leather book and began reading this really dark poem about death. And at this point I started getting this uneasy feeling. I assumed it was some kind of performance art, but I never heard of the band and you hear so many crazy stories in the news these days so you never know. And I started to imagine this headline that read “Band Poisons Audience” or something. So they finish reading this poem, raise their cups and pour it into their mouths, and a lot of people followed. I didn’t. I discretely tossed it in the nearest garbage can. The band began playing again. After a few minutes of playing this girl falls over and the crowd kinda backs away from her giving her space. I look and she’s like convulsing on the ground having a seizure and foaming at the mouth. I run over beside her to try and help this chick, her hands and limbs are all contorted and clenched and I try to pick her up and she was like stiff. It felt like she had gone through rigor mortis or something. So I whip out my phone to call an ambulance and one of the dudes from the band rushes over to me. He leans over and whispers in my ear “It’s just an act” and I look up at him and he has this smile on his face and puts a finger up to his lips to indicate for me to be quiet about it. So I stepped outside. Kinda pissed. Kinda pissed at my own gullible-ness. I forget that band’s name... but I’ll never forget that experience.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

John: AP means a community for music. It’s the best way to find music and discuss music in a way that anyone can see yet it’s veiled and honest.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

John: Right now it’s a brand new song we haven’t named or finished yet. And I can’t wait for you to hear it!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

John: Every summer my grandpa and I used to sail to the Bahamas from Florida. But I don’t have time to go anymore.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

John: Well my ma always listened to show tunes and my dad always listened to Zeppelin and Cat Stevens. But when I first got into music on my own it was radio from the late 90’s to the early 2000’s. And the first cd’s I owned were like Blink 182, Rage Against the Machine, Offspring, Linkin Park, Eminem, Eiffel 65, Limp Bizkit, Smash Mouth.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

John: I’ve always wished I could control time. You know, pause everything and just take a nap. Think about how many more shows we could play if we could pause time.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Curt: Circle jerks, animal sacrifices and butterfly kisses.

John: Well back when we were in college we would do a chant that went “Let me see them titties doom ba doom. Let me slap them titties doom ba doom. I’ma feel you up bitch, I don’t give a fuck Oooooooh!” but it got us too amped and we’d always play our first song stupid fast. Now I just try and chill out and gather my thoughts.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

John: When I was like 10, I acted in an independent film called “A Slipping Down Life” playing Guy Pierce’s little brother. Most of my scenes were cut, but it was a dope experience

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Actually yeah, we’ve had a lot of success with local radio stations like WEXT based out of Albany NY, WEQX in Manchester VT , The Buzz 96.7 out of Rhode Island, and some college radio stations as well.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

John: Right now, I’m really into writing scripts. Who knows, maybe one day you’ll see a movie written by me.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

John: I can make a mean pizza from scratch. I also like drawing, painting and making movies.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
08:39 PM on 02/12/13
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
I love these guys. Hope 2013 treats them well, their new album is amazing

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles