Username
Password
Books News - Page 10
Displaying posts 135 - 150 of 153.
09:09 PM on 02/11/13
Spencer Control
Now we are all sons of bitches
User Info.
I love this thread. Only we could turn this into the festivity it was. This is great, haha.
09:10 PM on 02/11/13
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
"Black America is so broken"

Had Paul Mooney or Tavis Smiley been here, they'd agree

I do.

This is kinda why I wish there were open African American Punks, we know our people and our shortcomings

^just my 2 cents

Side Note, good on Snoop for pushing Weed Awareness
10:06 PM on 02/11/13
xcloud66x
ScaryKidScaringKids
User Info.
It doesn't condone smoking weed, just as teaching people to correctly put on a condom doesn't encourage them to have sex, and making Play-Doh non-toxic doesn't advocate eating Play-Doh.

Actually speaking from a scientifically professional background, yes, it does indirectly. There are subconscious messages that frequently have that psychological effect, especially in undeveloped age groups. Would you teach an 8 or 9 year old how to put a condom on? The thought disgusts me. Would you attempt to teach a one year old to shape Play-Doh?
10:54 PM on 02/11/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He isn't writing the book; he just said he's thinking about reading an already existing book about it to the kids on his football team that he coaches. The book is called "It's Just a Plant" and actually is pretty helpful in explaining cannabis and it's consumption by adults to a child just as one would explain alcohol to a child.

I guess the staff doesn't actually read what the things they post say anymore than the people commenting on them do...

Seriously though, journalism!!!
11:02 PM on 02/11/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Actually speaking from a scientifically professional background, yes, it does indirectly. There are subconscious messages that frequently have that psychological effect, especially in undeveloped age groups. Would you teach an 8 or 9 year old how to put a condom on? The thought disgusts me. Would you attempt to teach a one year old to shape Play-Doh?

As an eight year old I knew what alcohol was.

I knew where it was at in my house.

I knew it made you feel different.

Yet I didn't go drink all of the alcohol because I knew that it was an adult thing and I shouldn't drink it, and that's how alcohol is described to kids. Why would weed be any different? No. Teaching kids that weed that way isn't telling them to go smoke it.
12:17 AM on 02/12/13
Djentleman
User Info.

so much butt-hurt in this thread
08:48 AM on 02/12/13
just.Starla.
I put my bra on one boob at a time
User Info.
LOL What in the hell?
08:51 AM on 02/12/13
just.Starla.
I put my bra on one boob at a time
User Info.
"Black America is so broken"

Had Paul Mooney or Tavis Smiley been here, they'd agree

I do.

This is kinda why I wish there were open African American Punks, we know our people and our shortcomings

^just my 2 cents

Side Note, good on Snoop for pushing Weed Awareness

I'm just curious, but do you care to elaborate on this?
08:40 PM on 02/12/13
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
I'm just curious, but do you care to elaborate on this?
generally, African American culture doesn't care for it's people's compositions to Rock Music (excluding legends)
08:42 PM on 02/12/13
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
generally, African American culture doesn't care for it's people's compositions to Rock Music (excluding legends)
by "open" I meant, African American Musicians of the Punk/Metal/Rock Persuasion don't talk about how most of our people could care less about the genre and Blacks who love it
09:06 PM on 02/12/13
xcloud66x
ScaryKidScaringKids
User Info.
As an eight year old I knew what alcohol was.

I knew where it was at in my house.

I knew it made you feel different.

Yet I didn't go drink all of the alcohol because I knew that it was an adult thing and I shouldn't drink it, and that's how alcohol is described to kids. Why would weed be any different? No. Teaching kids that weed that way isn't telling them to go smoke it.

Argument by individual example is useless. The fact is it happens. There are kids who will think about it and do it. The idea will be subconsciously planted in their brain again and again, and it will end up resulting in younger than normal age exposure eventually. The epidemiological studies say so.

Besides, he's NOT teaching them not to smoke it. According to the video, the book has an example of parents telling their children about "how awesome it is" for goodness sake.
09:09 PM on 02/12/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Argument by individual example is useless. The fact is it happens. There are kids who will think about it and do it. The idea will be subconsciously planted in their brain again and again, and it will end up resulting in younger than normal age exposure eventually. The epidemiological studies say so.

Besides, he's NOT teaching them not to smoke it. According to the video, the book has an example of parents telling their children about "how awesome it is" for goodness sake.

What parents teach their kid to never drink alcohol and that it's awful? Did your parents never have a glass of wine?
07:22 AM on 02/13/13
Rock
THROW IT DOWN, BIG MAN!
User Info.
Snoop Dogg...err...Snoop Lion just screams "role model." Just the guy I want to be teaching my child about substance use.
07:34 AM on 02/13/13
Rock
THROW IT DOWN, BIG MAN!
User Info.
And if you don't delete your comment asap, I'm kicking you off this fucking site. How's that?

You make me really sick.

You have ten seconds to apologize and/or explain yourself
Why is everyone getting so up in arms over this comment? I really don't think his intention was to be racist - he was being critical of black society and the values they promote. Yes, he was painting with a really broad brush, but it's a valid criticism and a discussion that Americans should have more often whether you're black, white, cuban or asian-American.
07:41 AM on 02/13/13
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
Why is everyone getting so up in arms over this comment? I really don't think his intention was to be racist - he was being critical of black society and the values they promote. Yes, he was painting with a really broad brush, but it's a valid criticism and a discussion that Americans should have more often whether you're black, white, cuban or asian-American.
Stop. There's no excuse for saying something like that, and that kid is also a fuck, trust me. I'd be more than happy to engage in a discussion about the ways in which drugs can define certain subsets of American society (for better or for worse, generally the latter), but thinly veiled racism is never acceptable. Gonna let Dre talk on this one:

Simply put, you just pigeonholed an entire race just to make a dumb joke.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests