Username
Password

09:19 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
mrnegativezero
You wanted to set the world on fire
Southern California
Male - 22 Years Old
Got any good Young Adult recommendations? I'm taking an Adolescent Lit class and we're required to read four YA books outside of class.
08:38 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
Fourchordwonder
This is for dreaming.
Chicago, IL
Male - 23 Years Old
Got any good Young Adult recommendations? I'm taking an Adolescent Lit class and we're required to read four YA books outside of class.

Outside of stuff that's super popular now...

The Giver
Among the Hidden, along with its various sequels.
Light Boxes by Shane Jones might apply. I'm not sure if it's technically young adult, but it's definitely structured like a children's story, and it's worth reading no matter what.
08:41 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
PAPER R1VAL
#YANKS
No Avatar Selected
South Carolina
Male - 24 Years Old

Looking for Alaska
08:51 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
mrnegativezero
Southern California
Male - 22 Years Old
Outside of stuff that's super popular now...

The Giver
Among the Hidden, along with its various sequels.
Light Boxes by Shane Jones might apply. I'm not sure if it's technically young adult, but it's definitely structured like a children's story, and it's worth reading no matter what.

Love the Giver. We actually read that for my class and had plenty of discussions on it.

Appreciate the responses. I've heard of Looking for Alaska so I'll give that a shot. I have not heard of Among the Hidden or Light Boxes but I'll look them up to see if they interest me. Thanks!
09:05 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
Fourchordwonder
This is for dreaming.
Chicago, IL
Male - 23 Years Old
Love the Giver. We actually read that for my class and had plenty of discussions on it.

Appreciate the responses. I've heard of Looking for Alaska so I'll give that a shot. I have not heard of Among the Hidden or Light Boxes but I'll look them up to see if they interest me. Thanks!

I didn't even think of Looking For Alaska (probably since I didn't discover John Green until college), but I definitely back that recommendation. Check out Paper Towns as well. I know I'm in the minority, but I like that one quite a bit more than Looking For Alaska.
09:16 AM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 24 Years Old
Almost finished with

The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Murakami

...it's taken me a little more than a month to go through; but its amazing

Edit: finished it. Holy Crap.

Read "The Future of Us" by Jay Asher yesterday... horrible. I'd advise to skip it.
02:33 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
dustyfloors
Baskiceball Champion
Sour Home Chicago
Male - 30 Years Old

Stephen Chbosky - "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" I don't know if the movie was lame or not but the book is great.
Matt de la Pena - "Ball Don't Lie"
02:38 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male

Battle Royale is pretty awesome.
02:42 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
FL, US/Oxford, UK
Male - 20 Years Old
It's Kind of a Funny Story
04:18 PM on 02/15/13 
User Info.
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
New York City
Male - 19 Years Old

A Monster Calls
Tales of a Madman Underground (haven't read this yet)
The Fault in our Stars
Every Day
01:36 AM on 02/17/13 
User Info.
mrnegativezero
Southern California
Male - 22 Years Old
Once again, thanks for the replies.

Battle Royale is pretty awesome.

One of my favorite books. It would be interesting to see what my professor and class thinks of teaching it / putting it on book lists in school.

It's Kind of a Funny Story

No clue that was based on a novel. Will check it out.

Stephen Chbosky - "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" I don't know if the movie was lame or not but the book is great.
Matt de la Pena - "Ball Don't Lie"

We read Perks of Being a Wallflower in my class. I haven't seen the movie but those who have said it was great (Chbosky wrote the screenplay so I'm eager to see how it turned out).

A Monster Calls
Tales of a Madman Underground (haven't read this yet)
The Fault in our Stars
Every Day

I have not heard of any of these books. Searching them all now.
12:24 PM on 02/18/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 24 Years Old
I have not heard of any of these books. Searching them all now.

anything John Green is good, especially for a YA class, I read Will Grayson, Will Grayson when I took a class like that two years ago. Theyre easy quick reads and his characters are compelling...

The "Uglies" series... is pretty good, another quick but compelling read.

I really like Colin Meloy's (of the Decemberists) Wildwood Series...

If you liked The Hunger Games, Poison Study by Maria V Snyder is pretty good too.

I'm reading Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami currently. From what I've read about it, it's one of Murakami's simpler stories, which is probably why it gained so much popularity, but I like it regardless of its simplicity. I'm only about a quarter of the way in though, but I like it a lot so far.

I just finished reading The Wind Up Bird Chronicles... if you like Norwegian Wood, I highly suggest you read this!
01:22 PM on 02/18/13 
User Info.
dustyfloors
Baskiceball Champion
Sour Home Chicago
Male - 30 Years Old

Also, are these books supposed to be written FOR YA or just ABOUT YA?
I am reading "The Death of Bees" Lisa O'Donnell's debut. It's absolutely amazing. Although it may not be considered YA. Might just be a coming-of-age novel aimed at adults, really.
08:18 PM on 02/18/13 
User Info.
mrnegativezero
Southern California
Male - 22 Years Old
anything John Green is good, especially for a YA class, I read Will Grayson, Will Grayson when I took a class like that two years ago. Theyre easy quick reads and his characters are compelling...

The "Uglies" series... is pretty good, another quick but compelling read.

I really like Colin Meloy's (of the Decemberists) Wildwood Series...

If you liked The Hunger Games, Poison Study by Maria V Snyder is pretty good too.

I was particularly fond of the Hunger Games but it would be worth a look into novels similar in that style/genre. My professor is encouraging to read novels outside of our comfort zone.

Also, are these books supposed to be written FOR YA or just ABOUT YA?
I am reading "The Death of Bees" Lisa O'Donnell's debut. It's absolutely amazing. Although it may not be considered YA. Might just be a coming-of-age novel aimed at adults, really.

That's actually one of the things we are discussing throughout the whole semester. So far our sort of "requirement" / "guideline" for the novels are that: 1. It should deal with YA material (i.e. adolescence) 2. It should be written for adolescents. 3. It should have an adolescent main character.

Through that we find out that such novels that are taught to adolescents aren't necessary YA. Examples: Lord of the Files, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
08:20 PM on 02/18/13 
User Info.
mrnegativezero
Southern California
Male - 22 Years Old
So double posting to say: Thank you everyone for the replies. Now I just need to shift through them and find out which ones the library has..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos