AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

The Gaslight Anthem News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Brian Fallon Does Not Want Your "Hash Pipe"

Posted by - 02:20 PM on 02/26/13
Brian Fallon (The Gaslight Anthem) discusses his most hated song with AV Club here.

Submitted by sweetfootaction

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
02:30 PM on 02/26/13
jonwangcb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He's contradicting himself. The reason he hates Hash Pipe is the same reason he likes Beverly Hills.
02:33 PM on 02/26/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com/
User Info.
Love the song, love the album, love the feature, not the best or most entertaining explanation.

But if he did the same thing about Beverly Hills I'd probably like it more, now there's a Weezer song I can hate.
02:35 PM on 02/26/13
Festivus
for the rest of us...
User Info.
Sorry dude, I just can't hate Hash Pipe. If this was Beverly Hills or We are All on Drugs, then maybe I'd be on board.
02:49 PM on 02/26/13
ACA
Next Show: CircaSurvive/TitleFight
User Info.
I get what he's saying: when a band is so good, you can be disappointed (or even hate) some of their songs.

Now, for the opinion: "Hash Pipe" is fantastic.

I don't think any other song accurately captures that "I'm driving around at night with tinted windows, up to no good" sound the way that song does.

There are a few bands where I'd apply Fallon's logic. Alkaline Trip is definitely one: they have such a solid discography up until Crimson. Fun is another, but I suppose on a smaller scale because they just have that one flawless record. Scary Kids Scaring Kids have a fantastic EP, and then a series of forgettable full-lengths. Senses Fail, too -- they're sloppy and uninteresting, but they capture a sound really well with their debut EP. Saosin is another one, but that's a whole different band, really, and doesn't really apply here. I certainly adore the first few Weezer albums, but Rivers has no filter and turns out way too much output that is subpar these days.

There's not many bands where I find myself loving/hating, but it does happen.

This is a cool feature, I'd like to read more. The AV Club rules.
02:56 PM on 02/26/13
jeffersin
I love you!
User Info.
I've always liked Hash Pipe, but I think his explanation on why he hated it was pretty funny.

12 year old or whatever me loved Beverly Hills
02:56 PM on 02/26/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Green Album is a really solid album. Maladroit too. I guess I can see where he's coming from but there's 30 songs that should be hated more than Hash Pipe. And I still enjoy Weezer, albeit on kind of a guilty pleasure level. I mean Hash Pipe is really not too different lyrically from some of his songs on the first two classic albums. And it's a simple guitar riff, but a great riff.

Eh, his opinion. Could be better, but it could be worse.
02:59 PM on 02/26/13
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
there's a few gaslight anthem songs i like, but i seriously never agree with this guys opinion on anything.
03:06 PM on 02/26/13
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
What a buzzkill. "Hash Pipe" rules.
03:09 PM on 02/26/13
Rock
THROW IT DOWN, BIG MAN!
User Info.
This is pretty funny - mostly because of the commentary, but also because I actually like Hash Pipe and think that by comparison, it's far, far better than any number of giant turds Weezer is responsible for that should have been selected as the worst Weezer song before this one.
03:12 PM on 02/26/13
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
there's a few gaslight anthem songs i like, but i seriously never agree with this guys opinion on anything.

I love the gaslight anthem. I cringe every time brian fallon does an interview. Eeesh
03:13 PM on 02/26/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.

What are you smoking? Brian consistently has some of the most sensible, level headed views in the whole industry. There are a few cases where he gets a little pissed off and starts trolling/fucking around (see the comments he made on the Replacements a few years back) but in general he's almost always has a level-headed be-excellent-to-each-other kind of opinion that you'd have to be an asshole to disagree with. (Not to mention his comments on Laura Grace or the fact that his music recommendations are almost always perfect)
03:15 PM on 02/26/13
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
User Info.
"I don't even care to check. That's how much I care."
This is priceless.
I like the riff for some reason. I could just loop the first 10-15 seconds and be good to go. Also, ive always heard ass wipe but thats just me.
03:22 PM on 02/26/13
dhayes
User Info.
There's a pretty fucking big pool to draw from here and he chooses Hash Pipe?

Okay.
03:28 PM on 02/26/13
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
Always dug Hash Pipe. Don't see a problem with it at all, even if the lyrics I understood never made sense to me. It rocks.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos