Username
Password
Property of Zack News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Property of Zack
Inside AP.net

POZ Presents: March Sadness Scouting Reports

Posted by: Drew Beringer (03/02/13)
PropertyOfZack has posted a scouting report for each band involved in its "March Sadness" tournament here. Don't forget to vote for your favorite band.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
08:14 AM on 03/02/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
A lot of good bands. Hard to pick but jimmy eat world is who I hope wins.
09:07 AM on 03/02/13
pissand409
User Info.
A lot of good bands. Hard to pick but jimmy eat world is who I hope wins.
I agree. Of all the bands that have impacted what we call "emo", Jimmy Eat World has probably done the most.

On a different note, I feel like someone dropped the ball in not having Weezer on this list.
10:49 AM on 03/02/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I agree. Of all the bands that have impacted what we call "emo", Jimmy Eat World has probably done the most.

On a different note, I feel like someone dropped the ball in not having Weezer on this list.
Jimmy Eat World to me is just an universally loved band. They have rock songs, ballads, emo jams, and even very artistic pieces like Goodbye Sky Harbor. They even have a few songs where they have their punk roots sorta showing. They never commit to any genre for any crowd though. I think they are perfect alt rock because of that. Each album they release is sincere and special. I know Invented was a bit slower and did not hit home as much as some may of hoped but I loved it and still think each album embodies a mood or a feeling.
11:01 AM on 03/02/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
As much as I like Braid, I feel American Football would have been a better choice.

I'm probably rooting for JEW overall, as their career had a huge impact on every era listed.
11:02 AM on 03/02/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.

I disagree with Weezer.

"Pinkerton" is the only album that could remotely be considered emo, and the 90s had too many important bands to go with a mostly-power pop group.
11:21 AM on 03/02/13
mrnegativezero
You wanted to set the world on fire
User Info.
This is a solid list. Makes me realize how much "emo" music I enjoy.
11:24 AM on 03/02/13
markymarkmac
User Info.
Seahaven should've gotten on the Modern Day list. This is awesome, though.
11:47 AM on 03/02/13
KenneyBN
will be gone till July 2015 on mish
User Info.
As much as I like Braid, I feel American Football would have been a better choice.

I'm probably rooting for JEW overall, as their career had a huge impact on every era listed.

American Football or Cap'n Jazz
01:10 PM on 03/02/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
American Football or Cap'n Jazz
Cap'n Jazz were definitely the more influential, but I feel like The Promise Ring and American Football were almost extensions of the band, and perfected different sides of their music.
01:48 PM on 03/02/13
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
Mansions.
02:00 PM on 03/02/13
CarlFarbman
last.fm/user/CarlFarbman
User Info.
Disappointed to see that Empire! Empire! was not on list for modern emo.
02:02 PM on 03/02/13
GageStillAlive
Still Alive Clothing Co.
User Info.
Pulling for Jimmy Eat World in this because come on it's Jimmy Eat World.
02:28 PM on 03/02/13
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
Nu emo for the win.
02:57 PM on 03/02/13
pissand409
User Info.
I disagree with Weezer.

"Pinkerton" is the only album that could remotely be considered emo, and the 90s had too many important bands to go with a mostly-power pop group.
I would disagree that Pinkerton is the only album that could be called emo by Weezer (even though it probably fits the moniker best), but even going with that, Pinkerton was such an emo staple that I felt it should have been included. Besides, the only album by The Get Up Kids that is really emo is Something to Write Home About, but again that record is just such a staple in the emo community that the band has to be considered. To each their own though.

Edit: Emo is also an entirely subjective term, so it is also obvious there will be disagreements on what constitutes it.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests