AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Foals - Holy Fire Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.15
Musicianship 7.1
Lyrics 6.85
Production 7.1
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6.45
Reviewer Tilt 6.3
Average: 68%
Inside AP.net

Foals - Holy Fire

Reviewed by: Craig Manning (03/07/13)
Foals - Holy Fire
Record Label: Transgressive
Release Date: February 11, 2013

You don’t give an album a title like Holy Fire without having something epic and spacious waiting underneath the shrink wrap. They always tell us not to judge a record by its cover, or for that matter, by the words on that cover, but I’d wager that no one went into Born to Run expecting an acoustic singer/songwriter record, or cracked the seal on Achtung Baby without realizing that its technicolor sleeve was the introduction to a new decade, a new style, a new U2. Album covers and titles are the first ways for an artist to make an impression, the first chance they have to announce a shift in direction or sound, or to tell fans to check their expectations at the door. And with Holy Fire, everything—from the evocative words, to the horses-washed-by-the-waves cover art, to the thrilling build-up of the “Prelude” track—screams “big.” By the time proper opener “Inhaler” breaks into its booming, earth-shaking riff a couple minutes in, frontman Yannis Philippakis bellowing his soon-to-be-trademark battle cry of “I can’t get enough space” over a chaotic hurricane of noise, we know we’re in for a ride.

From the start, Holy Fire is a record that demands to be played at maximum volume. Those who have invested in pricey car stereos or high quality headphones will find a lot to love here, a sonic feast to sink into and get lost in with each listen. The high-rise atmosphere of “Everytime” blends U2-esque “helicopter” guitars with modern dance-floor textures, while the more balladic “Late Night” remains rich with deep bass tones as it crescendos to a near-orchestral peak, a dirty guitar solo flitting through the right speaker. “Out of the Woods” continues the U2 comparisons, its foregrounded musical flourishes landing somewhere between the iconic keyboard riff of “New Year’s Day” and the church-filling symphonies of The Unforgettable Fire. And the glorious “Bad Habit” rotates between moments of full-blown club-rock and pure, yelping desolation, Philippakis’ reverb-soaked vocals and drummer Jack Bevan’s rapidfire fills marking the changes.

Undoubtedly, a good deal of Holy Fire’s success is owed to the production team of Flood and Alan Moulder, longtime vets who have previously worked together on records from the likes of The Smashing Pumpkins, The Killers, and U2. But where each of those acts have swung towards the big leagues with massive choruses, revealing earnestness, and near-mythical pop star swagger, Foals take a different route. And that’s not to say that Holy Fire is bereft of hooks, since plenty of its best songs have the potential to lodge themselves in your brain. “My Number” is particularly catchy, bouncing along with an earworm backing vocal hook destined to soundtrack the next wave of cellphone commercials. And the Mutemath-esque “Milk & Black Spiders” gets more exhilarating with each passing second, the band slowly cranking up the volume to swallow the song’s melodic refrain in their swell.

But more often, Foals forego traditional verse-chorus dynamics for the arty complexity of their math rock lineage or the sweaty spontaneity of their EDM influences. The meandering song structures do wonders for the band—see the icy, chaotic rush of “Providence,” or the jagged, thumping heartbeat-guitar bleeps that mark the sepulchral closer, “Moon”—to the point where Philippakis’ repetitious, often cliche-ridden lyrics are rendered almost inconsequential. There may come a day when Foals shoot for the emotional bombast of the stadium-baiting bands they are so clearly trying to emulate here. But for now, they’re merely peddlers of sonic splendor, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Still, Holy Fire is the kind of album that could easily run together if used for nothing more than background music. These songs demand attention like they demand volume; they require the space of repeat listens and the privilege of high fidelity audio presentation. But man, as soon as that riff kicks in on “Inhaler” and the song blows wide open, I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t want to give these guys the time they deserve.

8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14.
10:29 AM on 03/07/13
leftapart
User Info.
Fantastic album.
11:19 AM on 03/07/13
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
It's always a pleasure to read your reviews, however, I can't agree with you this time... I think Holy Fire is fantastic. It reminds of last year's Given to the Wild by The Maccabees. This is like a heavier version of that album. And it's actually the first Foals' album I got into...
11:27 AM on 03/07/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
It's always a pleasure to read your reviews, however, I can't agree with you this time... I think Holy Fire is fantastic. It reminds of last year's Given to the Wild by The Maccabees. This is like a heavier version of that album. And it's actually the first Foals' album I got into...
What do you disagree with?
12:02 PM on 03/07/13
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
What do you disagree with?
I'd give it a nine... :D

On a sidenote, I don't like the cover very much, I think it's quite lazy. And it's probably just me, but I don't see the connection to what's inside. I didn't like their previous covers either.

I'm listening to it now, "Inhaler" is rather brilliant...
02:15 PM on 03/07/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I'd give it a nine... :D

On a sidenote, I don't like the cover very much, I think it's quite lazy. And it's probably just me, but I don't see the connection to what's inside. I didn't like their previous covers either.

I'm listening to it now, "Inhaler" is rather brilliant...
Awww man, I love the cover. I think that's a gorgeous picture.

But yeah, "Inhaler" is just terrific. Definitely my favorite track on here.
05:15 PM on 03/07/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Great review Craig
05:56 AM on 03/08/13
rob18244
born and raised.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Review inspired me to have a listen. Impressed so far! I always avoided this band because of the awful hipster kids in the UK creaming over them - foolish and elitist, I know!
07:02 AM on 03/08/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.

Thanks!

Review inspired me to have a listen. Impressed so far! I always avoided this band because of the awful hipster kids in the UK creaming over them - foolish and elitist, I know!

Yeah, I've never heard much buzz for them over here.
07:18 AM on 03/08/13
Jerold Sunga
User Info.
"Inhaler" and "My Number" are my favorite tracks off this record. It's kind of a one-two punch for me. Terrific album.
10:23 AM on 03/08/13
paperlung
this glass house is burning down
User Info.
Foals is the band that takes me a few listens to get into each album, but I love it when it finally clicks. The same applies for Holy Fire.

I originally thought that Inhaler and My Number were the best two songs, and it was somewhat downhill from there, but I'm really starting to enjoy the back end of the album as well.

Great review too, btw.
06:10 PM on 03/09/13
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I think this album is totally meh.
03:31 PM on 03/10/13
justbradley
User Info.
This review inspired me to finally check it out, and I'm listening to it now -- definitely love this record. It's exactly the kind of stuff I like.
11:28 PM on 03/11/13
eriatarka24
=^.^=
User Info.
This album is totally fantastic.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives