Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 45.
04:05 PM on 03/12/13
Amongster
Still On The Sand
User Info.
My ex loved this record, and I'm glad she introduced me to it. Might give it a spin tonight.
04:49 PM on 03/12/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
I went and listened to this and was FLOORED by either A. How many songs I knew but didn't know were by Fleetwood Mac, or B. How many were Fleetwood Mac songs but didn't know were on this record, in back to back fashion no less. I'm in love with it right now.
07:49 PM on 03/12/13
cshadows2887
User Info.
Chris, I hate you now.

And Craig very thoughtful appreciation of a great record. But how can you talk about "Gold Dust Woman" without mentioning Nick's caterwauling like a possessed banshee in the background at the end? Haha. Some of the spookiest, most haunting shit in any record I know.
07:51 PM on 03/12/13
cshadows2887
User Info.
This is a flawless album from a studio/recording standpoint and songwriting standpoint. One of the greatest classic rock albums ever.
Your avatar.
09:05 PM on 03/12/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
09:10 PM on 03/12/13
cshadows2887
User Info.
Been on a kick with that one of late. "Oh Sweet Nothin", "Rock and Roll" and "Sweet Jane" is a heck of a trio.
09:22 PM on 03/12/13
Cheesus
nope
User Info.
Timeless. You can find used copies of this on vinyl for like 2$
04:43 AM on 03/13/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
this is one of my favorite albums of all time. can't wait to read this.

Hope you enjoyed it!

Great write up Craig!

Love this album, my mum used to listen to it all the time and I always kind of resisted it when I was younger for whatever reason, but when I grew up a bit, I realised just how great it is. It's incredible that it was even made, considering all the tension and ill-will between the members, but they managed to turn all that frustration into something magical. So lyrically, it's deeply personal and extraordinarily bitter, which I love.

Yeah, I remember hearing bits and pieces of this throughout my childhood. Then one day, I put on the full length for myself and it just blew me away. It's one of those albums where I envy the people who still have their first listen ahead of them.

Dammit, now I wanna watch Sound City again... :)

Anyway, as much as I respect Rumours, I think I like their eponymous album a little better.

I like Self-Titled, but I don't think it has the same studio mastery that this one, nor do the band members sound so thoroughly in sync throughout (ironic, considering the roots of Rumours). Most of the songs on Self-Titled thrive better on The Dance as live acoustic numbers. That version of "Landslide" is particularly superior.

It's hard to recall, but I'm pretty sure I'd written Fleetwood Mac off as soft-rock fluff - passively enjoyable, but altogether unworthy of investigation - until I stumbled onto Whiskeytown's terrific cover of "Dreams" a few years back. I'd heard the original before, I'm sure (it's a little hard to miss if you've spent any significant amount of time listening to mainstream radio), but for some reason it was that version - which I recognize now as inferior - that gave me the kick in the ass I needed to re-evaluate the band. And I'm glad I did, because they ended up becoming one of my favorite discoveries of the past few years.

But if I'm honest - and I know this is supposed to be about Rumours, so I'll try to avoid excessive gushing - it's really Tusk that won me over. Maybe it's because I've never had much of a taste for really veneered pop music, with a few notable exceptions. Or maybe it's because I'm just naturally drawn to all things dark, weird, and thematically bleak, especially within this medium. But, whatever the case, I never really loved Fleetwood Mac until I heard Tusk. And I'd encourage anyone who's struggling to appreciate this album like I was (particularly Chris, since we tend to be pretty simpatico musically) to give the follow-up a shot and see if it fares any better in your estimation.

I did end up coming back to Rumours later, after I'd listened to Tusk a dozen times or so and found myself looking for a similar fix. And - surprise, surprise - it clicked. I started to appreciate it as more than just a collection of radio-friendly pop songs - at the heart of it, I realized, there's a lot of that same turmoil that's so readily apparent on Tusk. They're just doing their best to tuck it away behind the gloss. And, in a way, that makes it even more captivating. To paraphrase what Craig said about "Go Your Own Way," at times it's positively nail-biting. So, yeah, the songs are catchy as all get-out. But they're not sacrificing any depth, either. And that's in large part, for me, what makes the album such a titan in the pop realm.

Anyway, great write-up once again, guys. I always look forward to these.

I don't think I've ever heard the Whiskeytown cover. Help a brother out?
Chris, I hate you now.

And Craig very thoughtful appreciation of a great record. But how can you talk about "Gold Dust Woman" without mentioning Nick's caterwauling like a possessed banshee in the background at the end? Haha. Some of the spookiest, most haunting shit in any record I know.

Hahaha, dammit! Seriously though, that song is creepy as fuck. I love it.

Can't wait to read your piece on Tusk. Let us all know when it goes live.
08:03 AM on 03/13/13
luckisoverrated
So is breakfast food.
User Info.
I love this record! I have it on tape from my mom, because she loved Fleetwood Mac in the seventies. This record came out the year after she graduated college.
"Dreams" alone is so good, but this record is rounded out with so much gold, it's hard to pick a favorite.
08:14 AM on 03/13/13
JunkBondTrader
Judas seems sincere...
User Info.
its the greatest album, front to back, of all time. i love the beatles, the stones, zeppelin.... but they never put out an album better than Rumours. it is flawless.
08:28 AM on 03/13/13
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
This was a fun read. One of my favorite classic rock albums.

Fond memories of picking up the bass and having "Go Your Own Way" be the first bass line I learned.
09:13 AM on 03/13/13
cshadows2887
User Info.

Fond memories of picking up the bass and having "Go Your Own Way" be the first bass line I learned.
Dude, me too. The first time I ever truly wanted to pick up an instrument was after watching The Dance. I played my dad's bass every day for months trying to learn that.
11:34 AM on 03/13/13
StreetSpirit76
User Info.
I don't think I've ever heard the Whiskeytown cover. Help a brother out?

I definitely would, man, but I've got it on my laptop and that's on the fritz right now. It's on the deluxe edition of Strangers Almanac, though, if you can track that down.
12:58 PM on 03/13/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I love this record! I have it on tape from my mom, because she loved Fleetwood Mac in the seventies. This record came out the year after she graduated college.
"Dreams" alone is so good, but this record is rounded out with so much gold, it's hard to pick a favorite.

Yeah, impossible to choose the "best song." For me, that title has, at different times, belonged to "Dreams," "Go Your Own Way," "Songbird," "The Chain" and "Gold Dust Woman."

its the greatest album, front to back, of all time. i love the beatles, the stones, zeppelin.... but they never put out an album better than Rumours. it is flawless.

It's certainly up there. Like I said, I'd opt for Born to Run, but this is in my all time top ten as well.

Thanks for reading bro.

I definitely would, man, but I've got it on my laptop and that's on the fritz right now. It's on the deluxe edition of Strangers Almanac, though, if you can track that down.

Haha, no problem man. I'll go hunting around for it.
01:38 PM on 03/13/13
StreetSpirit76
User Info.
I think my favorite will always be "Dreams." But "Never Going Back Again," "The Chain" and "Gold Dust Woman" are all up there.

Dude, me too. The first time I ever truly wanted to pick up an instrument was after watching The Dance. I played my dad's bass every day for months trying to learn that.

Figured I'd just ask you in here: what are the essential Stevie Nicks solo albums, if any, besides Bella Donna? I haven't even heard that one yet (just ordered it from Amazon), but I have a good feeling about it based on "Edge of Seventeen" and "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around."
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests