AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

04:36 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
vvvictorroyy
No Avatar Selected
Can anybody advise some website which helps bands in promoting? Id like to make my band more popular. Somebody gave me a link on http://artistecard.com Does anybody use their services? Maybe someone knows other sites, something affordable?
06:09 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
bradsonemanband
Change To Fire/Cootie Catcher
Provo, UT
Male - 28 Years Old
Can anybody advise some website which helps bands in promoting? Id like to make my band more popular. Somebody gave me a link on http://artistecard.com Does anybody use their services? Maybe someone knows other sites, something affordable?

don't pay to use a website/company. get out there and do it on your own. flyers, posters, play more shows, promote stuff online, hand out CDs, etc. don't be lazy.
09:34 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
Hudson County, NJ
Male
don't pay to use a website/company. get out there and do it on your own. flyers, posters, play more shows, promote stuff online, hand out CDs, etc. don't be lazy.

Pretty much this. You can steal this idea from me..I got thousands lol. If you have an album coming out soon, play a few shows before the album comes out. While at these shows, set up 2 tables if you can. One to have regular merch on there and something shorter in the back of the first table. Set up 2 or 3 "mystery boxes". In front of each box, set up a cup of water. Bring some ping pong balls and basically do "Carnival Style Beer Pong". For each "purchase" at the merch table (like a t-shirt or sticker or button..etc.), you get a ping pong ball. The way I did it was if you got a t-shirt, you get 2 balls (lol) and the button/sticker is one. If you sink the shot, you win the mystery box. My box 1 had an exclusive t-shirt and the advanced copy of the album. Box 2 had the album, used guitar picks that was used on the album and handwritten lyrics to 5 songs out of 10. Box 3 had an autographed album, handwritten lyrics to the other 5 tracks and a pair of drum sticks used on the album. If they miss the shot, give them a demo of your most popular 3 songs as a consolation prize. When I did it with my friend's band, they racked up close to 60 dollars and gave away 2 boxes. It really doesn't cost you anything in the end. You still make money off the initial purchase, you give away free music that people will remember how they got it and you'll gain new fans..guaranteed.
09:43 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
bradsonemanband
Provo, UT
Male - 28 Years Old
Pretty much this. You can steal this idea from me..I got thousands lol. If you have an album coming out soon, play a few shows before the album comes out. While at these shows, set up 2 tables if you can. One to have regular merch on there and something shorter in the back of the first table. Set up 2 or 3 "mystery boxes". In front of each box, set up a cup of water. Bring some ping pong balls and basically do "Carnival Style Beer Pong". For each "purchase" at the merch table (like a t-shirt or sticker or button..etc.), you get a ping pong ball. The way I did it was if you got a t-shirt, you get 2 balls (lol) and the button/sticker is one. If you sink the shot, you win the mystery box. My box 1 had an exclusive t-shirt and the advanced copy of the album. Box 2 had the album, used guitar picks that was used on the album and handwritten lyrics to 5 songs out of 10. Box 3 had an autographed album, handwritten lyrics to the other 5 tracks and a pair of drum sticks used on the album. If they miss the shot, give them a demo of your most popular 3 songs as a consolation prize. When I did it with my friend's band, they racked up close to 60 dollars and gave away 2 boxes. It really doesn't cost you anything in the end. You still make money off the initial purchase, you give away free music that people will remember how they got it and you'll gain new fans..guaranteed.
very good idea! i may have to steal this sometime and try it out. good tip.
09:53 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
Hudson County, NJ
Male
very good idea! i may have to steal this sometime and try it out. good tip.

No prob man. Just let me know how it goes.
10:03 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
AugustDivision
Apple Valley, CA
Male - 21 Years Old
It is ridiculously easy to promote yourself, there's no reason to pay someone to do it.
10:07 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
bradsonemanband
Provo, UT
Male - 28 Years Old
No prob man. Just let me know how it goes.

will do! doing creative things like that really helps. i totally believe in giving away my music for free. if people are strapped for cash, then that's fine. if they like my music, i'd rather have them have it for free than go home empty handed just because i wanted a few dollars. my band's done some pretty cool things to help get our albums sold though.

for example: we bought a whole bunch of blank cardboard CD sleeves, and then brought a big box of crayons, markers, etc. to the show and set up a little "arts and crafts" table so people could design their own CD cover for our album, if they chose to buy it. or they could choose to have one of us design the CD art for them. so every CD was different, personalized, etc. it was a big hit.
10:21 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
Hudson County, NJ
Male
will do! doing creative things like that really helps. i totally believe in giving away my music for free. if people are strapped for cash, then that's fine. if they like my music, i'd rather have them have it for free than go home empty handed just because i wanted a few dollars. my band's done some pretty cool things to help get our albums sold though.

for example: we bought a whole bunch of blank cardboard CD sleeves, and then brought a big box of crayons, markers, etc. to the show and set up a little "arts and crafts" table so people could design their own CD cover for our album, if they chose to buy it. or they could choose to have one of us design the CD art for them. so every CD was different, personalized, etc. it was a big hit.

That's a pretty awesome idea. People love being creative! I just hate it when bands have nothing to offer except a tip jar with a sign that reads "This money will be used for drugs" or something. It's really stupid and you're not clever. I guess if you're an established band, the merch will sell itself. If you're starting off, you have to market your product.
10:30 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
bradsonemanband
Provo, UT
Male - 28 Years Old
That's a pretty awesome idea. People love being creative! I just hate it when bands have nothing to offer except a tip jar with a sign that reads "This money will be used for drugs" or something. It's really stupid and you're not clever. I guess if you're an established band, the merch will sell itself. If you're starting off, you have to market your product.
exactly.

another thing we did once was we made a limited number of glow in the dark CDs for one of our older albums. people thought that was cool since it wasn't just your typical CD. that was pretty fun. we just spray painted them.
10:57 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
Bandcamp.

Edit: Honestly, take advantage of every possible media tool. Bandcamp is my favorite, but also use Big Cartel, Facebook, Purevolume, etc. My respect for a band increases when I see them putting as much out on the Internet as they can.
11:12 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
Hudson County, NJ
Male
exactly.

another thing we did once was we made a limited number of glow in the dark CDs for one of our older albums. people thought that was cool since it wasn't just your typical CD. that was pretty fun. we just spray painted them.

Another awesome idea. Another one of mine was a "Willy Wonka Golden Ticket" type of promotion. There was a prize of some sort in every album. There were fun things like bowling with the band, roadie for the night, lifetime tickets to all of our shows, signed everything you can think of, pizza party with the band and a shit ton of others. The worst you can get was an 11 by 17 poster. Made people buy the album because of all the cool things and experiences you can have with the band. It's also a thank you for your money and support haha
11:29 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
bradsonemanband
Provo, UT
Male - 28 Years Old
Another awesome idea. Another one of mine was a "Willy Wonka Golden Ticket" type of promotion. There was a prize of some sort in every album. There were fun things like bowling with the band, roadie for the night, lifetime tickets to all of our shows, signed everything you can think of, pizza party with the band and a shit ton of others. The worst you can get was an 11 by 17 poster. Made people buy the album because of all the cool things and experiences you can have with the band. It's also a thank you for your money and support haha
move to Utah, let's start a band, and let's have the best marketing and promotions everrrrrr!
11:45 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
Hudson County, NJ
Male
move to Utah, let's start a band, and let's have the best marketing and promotions everrrrrr!

I'm game. Lets do this shit!!
11:54 AM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
bradsonemanband
Provo, UT
Male - 28 Years Old
I'm game. Lets do this shit!!

woo! i'll pick you up at the airport in ONE HOUR!
07:38 PM on 03/19/13 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
Hudson County, NJ
Male
woo! i'll pick you up at the airport in ONE HOUR!

Shit. Flight delay lol

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version