AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Motion City Soundtrack News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Motion City Soundtrack Drummer Leaves Band

Posted by - 10:38 AM on 03/20/13
Motion City Soundtrack drummer Tony Thaxton has left the band. Claudio Rivera (Saves the Day) will be filling in.
Our beloved drummer Tony Thaxton has decided to leave the band. We really hate to see him go, but we fully support him in his choice and wish him the absolute best in the future. Tonys contribution to the band over the last 11+ years was immeasurable, both on the stage and off. Were really glad to have been able to share some truly amazing times with such a great drummer and friend. He will be missed.

Here are a few words from Tony:

Im afraid the time has come for me to move on from Motion City Soundtrack. This was an extremely, extremely hard decision to make, but one that I felt was very necessary for me. As you get older, life can lead you different ways, and some things that were once easy become harder. Being on the road so much was really starting to take its toll on me. It just feels like it is time for me to move on. I am beyond grateful for all of the things I have been able to experience in the last 11 years with the band. I got to play shows in 19 countries. I got to be in magazines. I got to play on tv. I got to discuss Shiatsu massage with M. Night Shyamalan (seriously). I got to meet and be thankful for so many great fans. It was definitely an amazing run that I never dreamed I would be able to experience.

I am not 100% sure what exactly the future holds for me, but it does not involve MCS. MCS will continue on without me, and I wish everyone the best. I thank Justin, Josh, Jesse, and Matt for being understanding of my decision. And most of all, I thank you all for your incredible support. We never could have done anything without you all. Ill never forget these past 11 years. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

As Tony said, we will be moving on. Were currently writing new songs and rehearsing. We will be playing all upcoming shows with our good friend Claudio Rivera, who played with us in 2009 when Tony broke his arm.

Wed like to take this moment to thank each and every one of you for your support of our band, and for sticking with us through thick and thin. Youre the reason we are able to do what we do. Well see you at the Warped Tour this summer!

heart,

MCS

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 122
10:38 AM on 03/20/13
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
what?!?!?
10:39 AM on 03/20/13
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
User Info.
Did not see this coming at all. I know a bunch of the guys are down here getting ready to record and plotting new stuff... but had no idea Tony was leaving at all...
10:40 AM on 03/20/13
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Holy shit.
10:40 AM on 03/20/13
jjnunn118
Starship Renegade
User Info.
Very sad!
10:41 AM on 03/20/13
Uncalled Four
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Like others said, pretty surprising. Hopefully they can get a replacement in time for Warped
Fourchordwonder
Guess our wishes don't do dishes
User Info.
Huge bummer. I'm seeing them tomorrow, and I was really looking forward to watching him play.
klaszlogt
User Info.
This just ruined my day
10:42 AM on 03/20/13
jpepe
User Info.
Pretty much blind sided me as well. I wish him the best, very cool guy from the chances I've had to meet him once or twice. I find it very sad though, love this band to no end.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
User Info.
Like others said, pretty surprising. Hopefully they can get a replacement in time for Warped
Im sure it'll be Claudio .... I wouldnt be surprised if he just did warped with them...
CPF--FBR
http://connorfeimsterphoto.com
User Info.
This breaks my heart. Claudio rules, though. But man, I hate when original lineups get altered. The shows won't feel the same.
10:44 AM on 03/20/13
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
What a bummer but I hope the best for him.
10:44 AM on 03/20/13
boomer08
User Info.
Claudio is such a pimp name
10:46 AM on 03/20/13
Lawliet
I have learned to love the lie
User Info.
It's Claudio, same guy who filled in when he broke his arm.

I've been following this band for 9 years. They've given me an insane amount of good music and memories. I know they're not breaking up, but it feels like because it's always been these same 5 dudes for the most part. It's sad to see you go, Tony, but I get why you're leaving -- it's just time. Thank you so much for being a beast on the drums and sharing your Muppets adoration with the rest of us. You're a cool dude.
10:47 AM on 03/20/13
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
Such a shame, he was such a nice guy. Hopefully the new drummer is just as good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos