AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
States - Room to Run Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Average: 79%
Inside AP.net

States - Room to Run

Reviewed by: Anthony Sorendino (03/14/13)
States - Room to Run
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: June 19th, 2012

States set the stage in October 2010 with their stellar debut EP, Line 'em Up. They followed with debut full length Room to Run in October of 2011 and, although it was met with some mixed reviews, it led them to a signing with Tooth & Nail and a re-issue of Room to Run. The re-issue was a much needed second wind and came fully loaded with new album art and seven bonus tracks.

"Captivating Me" was an obvious standout from first listen. The bridge is pure bliss; vocalist Mindy White holds nothing back as she belts: "So when the clocks are lying / and your finding it hard to wait / look for them adding to the spiral / and they'll join, yeah they'll join along." The energy is spellbinding and carries right into the last chorus. An excellent song and a high point of the entire record, "Captivating Me" is a great place to start if you're new to States.

"Versus the Mirror" delivers the pure power of White's voice in an uplifting self reflection. The chorus bleeds pure passion on the tail end as she let's out: "The timing is right and it's only a test." White expands on the struggles of growing up and how the best advice can sometimes come from yourself. When asked about this track, she stated, "We all have doubts, struggles, and fears and this song comes from that. ...anytime I get down, I just tell myself to suck it up and work harder."

The magical "Can't Explain" is a tumultuous blend of brilliance and dynamism. It boasts a dangerous pre-chorus/chorus combo, making it a top contender for the best song on the record. Drummer Jonathan Bucklew does a phenomenal job here; his percussion is spot on. I had to ask Mindy more about this song, to which she replied: "When you feel like you can't control what you're doing because someone or something else is actually controlling you like a puppet... I have a super nerdy love for imagination and fun magic, so this probably came from watching too much Harry Potter honestly, haha."

The final three tracks all possess endearing qualities without overshadowing each other. "Waiting (For Too Long)" has a mellow flow with a pleasant surprise as it drowns out. Its precursor, "Generation," possesses a carefree attitude with a clever bridge. "Follow It Home" is a perfect choice for a closer; it's light and uplifting with exceptional guitar and bass work. It stands out lyrically; White leads off into a melodic finale with "I would wait for you here but I already fear you're living in another ocean by now / even if I follow it home, the map would lie to keep me from a sad goodbye."

Room to Run is a perfectly measured, accessible record. It flows seamlessly and any lull is overshadowed immediately with moments of vibrancy and depth. Although they may still be searching for that perfect sound, what they've achieved thus far shows great promise. The synergy produced by the members of States is nothing short of remarkable and I greatly look forward to their future together.

I'm a big believer in the influence of album art. It's really the only initial visual you have to accompany the music and it can play a role in first impressions. With that said, the new artwork for this album is a big improvement on the initial release and one of my favorites from the past few years.

I had asked Mindy for any interesting incidents or quirks during production. Here's what she said: "We had our drummer Jon play (punch) the guitar for feedback in "Timebomb." "As Good As It Gets" almost didn't make the album. The original demo had a bit of an "identity crisis" and we ended up changing, rewriting, and recording the song in one day-- which was the VERY last day left of us recording in Seattle. I lost about $20 playing cee-lo in the studio. I would get on the treadmill everyday and sing while fast-walking to get in shape for recording and tour." She was very kind in providing insight for the record, and I can't thank her enough!

The bonus tracks make this a great album to own. They include some acoustic versions of favorites from the EP and some solid bonus tracks. "Brighter Lights" would have been a great follower to "Can't Explain" and would have added a much needed acoustic reprieve to the whole record.

If You Like What's In Here, You Might Like States All the Day Holiday, Wolftron, Eisley; Paramore's Brand New Eyes; Harry Potter

Tracks and LinksTracklist:
1. Timebomb
2. Captivating Me
3. Right or Not
4. Everlasting
5. Versus the Mirror
6. As Good As It Gets
7. Can't Explain
8. Generation
9. Waiting (For Too Long)
10. Follow It Home
-------
11. Time to Begin - Acoustic
12. Another Chapter - Acoustic
13. Follow It Home - Demo
14. As Good As It Gets - Rollerskate Remix
15. Waiting (For Too Long) - Demo
16. The Wrong One
17. Brighter Lights

States is:
Mindy White
Bryan Laurenson
Stephen Laurenson
Jonathan Bucklew
Dean Lorenz

Official Website
Facebook
Twitter (Band)
Twitter (Mindy White)

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
12:07 PM on 03/20/13
Rocky Boost
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
States evolved from the dissolution of two bands; Lydia, and Copeland. Vocalist/keyboardist Mindy White (Lydia) and the gifted musical brothers' Laurenson (Copeland) have created in States a new sound to my mind. I am a DJ, and I'm exposed to new acts all the time. When I first heard States, I was blown away. The absolutely beautiful melodies, artful guitar dual delivery, and soaring vocals had me spinning. The reviewer has captured most of their essence, but I encourage you to check them out. Their EP also has some gems. Time To Begin, Falling For, and Asleep, are all ephemeral works, and this is one band that is deserving of much greater attention. Are you listening, Ellen Degeneres?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums