Username
Password
Recording News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Recording
Inside AP.net

Interview with Justin Timberlake's Manager

Posted by: Jason Tate (03/20/13)
An interview with Justin Timberlake's manager outlines the entire process of releasing his new album. There's a lot of insider-baseball stuff in there, but it's quite interesting to read.
I like to do this thing where we do a countdown clock and then deliver music from it -- so what are we gonna deliver? At one point we even talked about having the countdown clock go into streaming the whole album, but then obviously we had to have conversations with the label and partners who wanted to be involved with the release of his music. So we ended up compromising and putting a single out and shortening the window to the album [release], because [usually artists] put the single out then wait three or four months for the album. But we said we really want to do this in a shorter period of time, so letís put the single out and [release the album] seven or eight weeks after that -- make it a short window, and because we have such a short window, we have to make a big impact.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
11:26 AM on 03/20/13
bradsonemanband
Change To Fire/Cootie Catcher
User Info.
awesome interview!
11:27 AM on 03/20/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
definitely worth your time today
11:28 AM on 03/20/13
shwaz499
User Info.
very interesting. was hoping for a little bit more info on the production of the album then the marketing of it but it seems the manager had little to no involvement in that.
11:43 AM on 03/20/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
I've got no problem dealing with jargon as long as I can google that shit while I read
11:51 AM on 03/20/13
x0kristennn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good read. I get that most of the people working on the album were people close to him (like Timbaland...) but it is still ridiculously impressive that no one knew about any of this until the very second they chose to release the info
12:17 PM on 03/20/13
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Can't wait to give this a read.
12:27 PM on 03/20/13
positiv-o
throwing punches at ocean waves
User Info.
Really, really interesting. I loved that the album came out quickly after the single. Since it had been so long since we'd heard anything from JT I think it was the best choice. Of course I would have loved to see what would happen if they streamed the album at the end of the countdown clock. Would have just blown everyone away.
01:09 PM on 03/20/13
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
"Were there secret codenames for the project and things like that?
It was tough! I mean obviously, we had a couple of code names for things -- I’m not gonna say what they are because we might wanna use the names again. It wasn’t called “Justin Timberlake.”"

I wonder if he was talking about the now confirmed second part of the album.
01:17 PM on 03/20/13
ffadam
Heaven Sent
User Info.
Very, very impressive that it got kept under wraps for so long.
01:34 PM on 03/20/13
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Great read!

Now I think I'm gonna just get the cheaper tickets for this upcoming tour since it's a 3 hour drive. And save up for the solo tour which will probably come here and get the best seats for that
02:32 PM on 03/20/13
Sawhney[rusted]
User Info.
Great interview, but still a little skimpy on the little fine tune details. I would LOVE to see an interview with M2M Construction to see how they were able to market the album and what strategies they used. In this interview he basically said "we kept it under wraps, then had an explosion of marketing during awards season."
02:56 PM on 03/20/13
youareallfreaks
thoust dare quoth i?
User Info.
Justin Timberlake seems to be everywhere but he's not . . he's just:

doing some strategic online marketing (front page spotify, billboard, pitchfork, myspace, and every single blog in the world and all of twitter); a couple of high-profile branding and radio campaigns (try to turn on the TV without seeing him dancing with some bud light, try to turn on the radio without hearing suit & tie); appearances on the Grammy and Brit Awards (US & UK), “Saturday Night Live” and a week on “Jimmy Fallon”; a few buzz-building concerts; announcing a summer stadium tour with Jay-Z.

In other words, he's fucking everywhere.
05:20 PM on 03/20/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Justin Timberlake seems to be everywhere but he's not . . he's just:

doing some strategic online marketing (front page spotify, billboard, pitchfork, myspace, and every single blog in the world and all of twitter); a couple of high-profile branding and radio campaigns (try to turn on the TV without seeing him dancing with some bud light, try to turn on the radio without hearing suit & tie); appearances on the Grammy and Brit Awards (US & UK), “Saturday Night Live” and a week on “Jimmy Fallon”; a few buzz-building concerts; announcing a summer stadium tour with Jay-Z.

In other words, he's fucking everywhere.
As he should be.
01:04 PM on 03/21/13
ashcampbell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And Justin Timberlake is good at yet another thing.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests