AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
This Thread is Closed.

08:46 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Twitter is a great news source. I'd give it a try if I were you.
I tried that, there was too much noise.
09:52 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
Again, why we cannot have an honest conversation.

First of all, I think that there are those that would disagree with your assessment of what constitutes "taking advantage of". I think there are those that would certainly look at a sober guy feeding a girl drinks so he can bang her as a rape. However, I am not one of those people.

To the bolded, whose responsibility is it ascertain whether or not a sexual partner "understands the situation" as you put it? Rape being the sensitive topic that it is, the need for definition is critical to protect young men of false accusations. Something that can destroy a young man's life.

And before you pounce on me for suggesting that false accusations are prevelant, this study claims that 41% of rape allegations can be defined as a false allegation.
think of it like this.

someone is intentionally poisoning a fellow human so they can fuck them. i hope we all agree that that is not cool.
04:49 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
*crying stars*
... are you crazy?
CA
Female - 23 Years Old
Bracing for the fallout

RT @AP BREAKING: Obama says Palestinians deserve sovereign state, end to occupation and to daily indignities.
04:55 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Rochester, New York
Male - 21 Years Old
OBAMA DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ISREAL
- Every conservative today
05:30 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm proud of Obama for saying that.
05:58 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
think of it like this.

someone is intentionally poisoning a fellow human so they can fuck them. i hope we all agree that that is not cool.

I certainly agree that isn't cool.
06:51 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
OctoberOrigins
Jack
Spartanburg, SC
Male - 21 Years Old
Here's the thing, for so long preventing rape has been on the woman (and we are all aware that rape can happen between anyone that's why rape laws have slowly been changing to reflect the different relationships we are in). I remember, way back when so maybe it has changed now, that we did talk about rape, but it was always "have a buddy", "don't drink", etc etc. It always put the onerous on the victim. What advocates want to see is a shift in the conversation, and this may in fact include girls and women (and it most likely will because they will be in the classroom or see ing the posters). The conversation instead should be "are they too drunk?" "are they enthusiastic?" and maybe we should shift into actually asking for consent (and maybe we should ask ourselves why it's so weird to want explicit consent every time and ask for it. In BDSM sex it is required to have explicit consent for each act and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't say their sex is unsexy, in fact having that full consent and trust is what makes it so sexy).

Going back to who gets these messages, apparently rape and raping people is a problem in groups such as sports teams, frats, and other large groups of males (though I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with coverage, it makes it easy to blame certain groups rather than discussing how it is a systemic problem that has more to do with power and privilege). First, this would be a great place to start when you want to disseminate a message of don't rape. It's also a great way to start to put some shame in the act of raping. After this girl was rape the other team members were laughing about it, and those who weren't didn't speak up and say "that's fucked up and I won't participate in these videos, twitter posts, etc". I'm also guessing that no one told them that putting fingers inside of a vagina was rape because we have been told that rape is a penis forcibly going into a vagina, and even up until now that's what it was legally. Most likely these boys assumed that as long as she didn't remember it and doesn't "feel" it, it can't be rape. Their apologies seemed to point to this as well (at least the one guy's). They were sorry the pictures went out, meaning it only turned to rape when she knew what had happened, a tree only falls when someone can hear it (this could also be completely off track, but I like the theory).

Anyway, first I think we need to do something about how we approach rape education, and this off course will be directed at women too because when you shift the entire talk everyone will hear it. But Birdman is right, no amont of education will curb rapes. You also need people who take this stuff seriously, including universities and law enforcement. Like I mentioned before about the football players. I'm guessing it made it a lot easier to do because they felt as though there would be zero repercussions and maybe even some cred among their peers (for being funny or whatever). And this has been the case in numerous rape cases in almost all institutions.

Rape, and rape prevention is complicated because their are so many systematic barriers and problems tangled together (I don't even want to go into all the chilling effects that are in place or are being discussed, NY anyone?), but I think we should start somewhere and I think that does mean shifting the conversation to a different group of people so they have at least more responsibility, which they have basically zero at the moment.
Best post in this conversation
I'm proud of Obama for saying that.
Me too!
07:04 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
luckykaruba
Jazz Baby
Female - 28 Years Old
Best post in this converation

Me too!

Hah. I reread it and it could use some polishing. Should always revise my posts before hitting send.
07:12 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
OctoberOrigins
Jack
Spartanburg, SC
Male - 21 Years Old
Hah. I reread it and it could use some polishing. Should always revise my posts before hitting send.
And, funny enough, my post you quoted included a typo haha
07:31 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
Yoko Ono tweeted this picture:

07:40 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
‏@sahilkapur 2m
Ryan budget gets to 218 votes for House passage.
07:53 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
Well it looks like the continuing resolution to fund the government til the end of the FY has passed both chambers now
08:02 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm so sick of turning on CSPAN2 to watch Republicans whine about "WE NEED A BALANCED BUDGET!"....no, we fucking don't. One of the worst talking points to come out of these last 5 years.
09:01 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm so sick of turning on CSPAN2 to watch Republicans whine about "WE NEED A BALANCED BUDGET!"....no, we fucking don't. One of the worst talking points to come out of these last 5 years.
Obamacare literally killing people is worse
09:05 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
...and somehow I survived
Staten Island, NY
Male - 24 Years Old
One of my best friends from high school is Rep. Grimm's personal assistant and I'm actually super jealous. He went to Georgetown so he was able to move down to Washington full time and work there in Grimm's office. He's always talking about how he gets to eat lunch with different Congressmen every day and stuff.

Today he met Paul Ryan. How "lucky" of him.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets