Password

Album Review

Gentlemen - The Romance Of It All Album Cover

Gentlemen - The Romance Of It All

Reviewed by
Gentlemen - The Romance Of It All
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: March 23, 2013
DISCLAIMER: Im not really good at this and this is a lengthy review for a band that's not yet well known.

Alright, time for something I dont normally do. I never really sit down and review albums, but I was sent the debut EP by a new band called Gentlemen. Now heres some background on how I know this band. Years ago I discovered a band called My Hidden Track and I sent a tweet to Chandler who played in the band. He was one of the singers, guitarist, and one of the songwriters. Now through that tweet he and I shared how much I admired their music and his gratitude towards me reaching out. I had hoped for big things for My Hidden Track. I dont know what happened, but the band announced that they were going their separate ways and it kind of broke my heart in a way. I loved the honesty in their music and I wanted more of it.

Fast forward a little bit (forgive me, but I cant remember when this took place) Chandler announced his new musical endeavor. He basically was going solo and he sent me three acoustic tracks under the moniker This Is Me. That band seemed to really be short lived because I didnt really hear much about it after that. I liked the tracks and the man has a voice on him and I was hoping to hear more from that. Sadly this didnt happen, but with every end comes a beginning.

Now here we are tonight. Chandler left a comment on my instagram page asking for my email. I didnt really think too much of it and gave it to him. I was just hoping he wasnt signing me up for some kind of sex service. I get another message on instagram and its Chandler telling me to check my email. To my surprise he sent me a copy of his newest band. Now here I am listening to the debut from Gentlemen, The Romance of It All. This album is what this mans voice is made for. Chandler has the voice of a man thats been through some shit. Its rough. Its smooth. Its just pleasant to listen to. You know hes been hurt. You know hes been destroyed. You know hes rebuilt himself over and over again because of past loves and just things in his life. This album to me seems to be his resolve from all of that. Hes still in love with love and longs for love (just like most of, if not all of us), but he also needs to get some stuff off his chest.

The Romance of It All opens with Please And Thank You and youre greeted by just Chandlers voice. This was my first thought upon hearing this song Man he sounds more confident than ever. and it just brought a huge smile to my face. The song (to me) sounds like an open letter to someone he loves. I dont know if its a past relationship or a present one, but I have a feeling its an open letter. The final chorus Chandler really lets his heart out with Cause all this time Ive been gone, Youve been hearing the same songs that youve heard a million times before . Now I will let you know That I wont let you go. Solid opening track. The music itself sounds like a mixture of 90s alternative and a bit of todays modern indie rock.

Stand Up Straight is a rocker all around. This song to me musically sounds like The Early November. Its definitely up tempo and its definitely going to be a crowd favorite. It has a hook thats going to make you want to just sing right along. Now the third track is the title track. After you hear it, you understand why the EP was named after it. The track captures events that Chandler went through and he seems to be trying to make amends with his past. We all do and say things that we dont mean, but we realize that later on down the road. This song seems to be exactly just that. Is it something that you see in me? Well I cant rewrite history and Im afraid youll see. really is a lyric that will hit home with many, I know it did with me.

Alright, were over the half way point with this album, and Im on the edge of my seat while listening to it. Prodigal Son has to be one of the most personal songs on the album. This song just screams an eternal battle with your demons, questioning who you are, questioning your life and life in general. This is something everyone does, but Chandler has really opened himself up on this. One of my favorite lines in the song says I didnt chose this Im just a passenger on, On this journey of one. which to me shows that were all just passengers in life. Now the final song. The grand finale! The album closes with The Mourning After. So far this whole album has been a rocker, and this song doesnt fall short of that. Theres a serious 90s vibe to this song, and I could hear it on the radio. The topic at hand seems to be the trial and errors of relationships that took place after that one relationship. Knowing that you want that person back because everyone else just doesnt compare. Now youre wasting all this time on things that will make you lose your mind. When its never what you want. No its never what you want. This line can relate to anyone that has loved and lost and more so for the one that got away. This song sings hope and promise.

All in all this is the beginning for what I hope the be the massive career that Gentlemen are building for themselves. Chandler has never sounded more confident and hes writing the kind of stuff that anyone whos feeling lost can relate to. These songs were written for the brokenhearted, the desperate, the hopeful, the not so hopeful, the ones that wear a heart on their sleeve, and the ones that just need a little help finding their heart again. These five songs deserve to be shouted back at this band while theyre on stage. This is just the debut and its solid. Not to mention that this collection of songs were written, recorded, mixed, and mastered all within 45 days. I know these songs will be in constant rotation on my iPod. So do yourself a favor and ring in the Spring with Gentlemen. If this EP is a promise of whats to come, theyre going to take this scene by storm.

Recommended If You Like My Hidden Track, Say Anything, The Early November, Indie Rock, 90's Alternative, Emo

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/agentlemenband
Twitter: https://twitter.com/agentlemenband
Bandcamp: http://agentlemenband.bandcamp.com/
This review is a user submitted review from Trevor Sostarich. You can see all of Trevor Sostarich's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
10:21 AM on 03/20/13
skibby15
Registered Member
User Info.
such a good album. people need to listen to this band.
11:14 AM on 03/21/13
Codo
I already think the world of you.
User Info.
Good review, I questioned the RYIL but decided to check it out anyway and I'm pretty impressed. They are slowly growing on me but his voice is so different IMO that it keeps me listening. They honestly sound like "gentlemen."

Anyone interested in checking them out, listen to the title track, The Romance Of It All. Really good stuff.
04:14 PM on 03/22/13
Trevor Sostarich
Vernacular
User Info.
Good review, I questioned the RYIL but decided to check it out anyway and I'm pretty impressed. They are slowly growing on me but his voice is so different IMO that it keeps me listening. They honestly sound like "gentlemen."

Anyone interested in checking them out, listen to the title track, The Romance Of It All. Really good stuff.
I was having trouble coming up with the RIYL for sure. I just couldn't think of any bands that they really reminded me of, so I based it off of the music rather than vocals. Chandler has a voice that stands out and I don't think I'll be able to compare his voice to anyone else.
07:23 PM on 03/23/13
jordan13uqayp
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wpNxehFluiE Jordan 11 Bred wuKegwUpjyG Jordan Bred 11 wwDevgGjnvF Bred 11 wkOpjvEppdA Jordan 11 Sale wlMfyoXzjnK www.jordanbred11sales.com truth exercising from these brand name experiments, individuals need to restrict their results toward approved phrases prohibit as it will help you them in concert increased regarding their extremely Karnataka SSLC documents. ways of life the Karnataka declare aboard has got right now standard ejaculate alternative guide, college students see worried the way to system your factors to ride in the disposable enough space. which is why, to assist you to write complete factors it will always be desirable to in your mind rehearse the key points to be a part of each and every single trouble and write the thus,

wxJjfpPwgrA Jordan 11 Bred wmDfdfLokmX Jordan 11 2013 wrHylkRokjM Bred 11 wiGdpbSlmdA Jordan Breds wqEymmAtfxE www.jordan11bred2013sale.com nonetheless put on dillydally. Degenerative issue are certainly not remedied just by delay, claimed therapy community andrew d Drucker. needs important opportunity. small mature seriously independent utilizing own two wheelers. It presents them a sense expertise plus stop concern equally. And rather than place they masteral for you to broader and recommended two wheelers.

wuQicyAgngJ Jordan 11 Bred weQyjzXtylD Jordan 11 2013 wfPfdzQayeN Bred 11 weCwjoGomkQ Jordan Breds wgYwwwDhbbE www.jordan11bred2013shoes.com Beden onal ruh sağlığımızın temel olgusu cinsellik; Türkiye gerek toplumsal gerekse dini açıdan tabu olarak kabul edildiği için, Çözümlenmesi zor toplumsal sorunlara neden olabilen çok hassas bir dürtüdür. Bu dürtü ikincil öneme sahip bir dürtüdür, Amacı neslin devamını sağlamaktır. Ayrıca zevk verdiği için, Iletişim, Paylaşım olduğu için onal yapılması gerekli olduğuna inandığımız bir şey olduğu için cinsellik yaşanır.
09:26 PM on 03/23/13
Codo
I already think the world of you.
User Info.
I was having trouble coming up with the RIYL for sure. I just couldn't think of any bands that they really reminded me of, so I based it off of the music rather than vocals. Chandler has a voice that stands out and I don't think I'll be able to compare his voice to anyone else.
I agree with this. I'm picking up some foo fighter sounds in some of his songs. It's weird because right when it is turning really rock sounding, it turns back to a punk or emo sound. I love it, a great mix of genres I think. Good find!
05:46 AM on 03/25/13
Hegarth
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This seems very good! His voice reminds me of Something For Kate and 30 Seconds to Mars, the power with the vulnerability.
10:21 AM on 03/25/13
skibby15
Registered Member
User Info.
went to their release show on saturday. really great live. hopefully this can take them places!
08:54 PM on 03/27/13
chutterhanban
Vinyl Connoisseur
User Info.
really digging this. hope it spreads as far as it should.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos