AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

UndertheGunReview News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Under The Gun Bids Adieu to My Chemical Romance

Posted by - 04:04 PM on 03/28/13
Under The Gun wrote a fantastic piece about the legacy of My Chemical Romance. Read it here.
Humanism is something that lingered throughout the bandís work. I could write entire dissertations on Revenge, my favourite album, which for all its frenzied, explosive pace is at heart a response to the loss of the Waysí grandmother. The lyrics, music and imagery on that album seared right into my soul as soon as I heard it Ė itís like hearing a comic book on record, replete with all the atmospheric intensity and noir sophistication of visceral art. For me, nothing will ever top the guttural, breathtaking verse at the end of my favourite song, ďItís Not A Fashion Statement, Itís A Fucking Deathwish.Ē It doesnít matter how far I go or what years have passed; hearing that heartfelt ode still gives me chills and transports me right back to rainy days and hopeful dreams.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
04:28 PM on 03/28/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
This guy sounds like me. Favourite album, favourite song, favourite part of said song... I really liked reading through this.
04:34 PM on 03/28/13
James Shotwell
User Info.
This guy sounds like me. Favourite album, favourite song, favourite part of said song... I really liked reading through this.
It's a girl :)
04:37 PM on 03/28/13
Vince Early
Size The Day
User Info.
I was lucky enough to them four times in a summer about two years ago. I don't think I have seen shows that the passion the band had was equal to the fervor of its fans. It was an incredible experience that I will always remember.

They truly were able to put a huge human element into all their songs/records. For that reason, I will miss them.
04:41 PM on 03/28/13
Ricketts
@allenricketts
User Info.
Yeah, she referenced my favorite song "Summertime". I lost it on the part about "The Kids From Yesterday". My heart dropped when I heard that first line. Overall, though, I couldn't agree more with everything she says in the article. This is a timely and graceful ending for my favorite band. I'll never forget everything they did for me and how much they gave me the confidence and stamina I needed to become who I am. Gonna miss them so fucking much.
04:43 PM on 03/28/13
WishYouAway
User Info.
Great article, aligns a lot with what this band meant to me... I also think what makes My Chemical Romance interesting as a band is, while 10, 15, 20 years from now, they may be for a good majority of the population just a band that had some songs that were big for their time, but in terms of the people that REALLY got into them, they'll probably never fade in how much they enjoy their music. They had a knack for hitting certain people at their core, and I think that this article is a perfect example of the type of attachment I'll always feel to this band.

On a side note, I figured out an order to Conventional Weapons that I find to be very "complete" in an album sense (the order they released the singles in doesn't seem to really "flow" for my taste), and listened to it front-to-back like I would their other releases today, and I've come to the conclusion that they really ended their releases on some of their most complete and "mature" (hate to throw that term out there, but I can't find another description) work out there. It's a shame it didn't get a proper release like the rest of their albums, because I think it has arguably their best songs on it and I wish more people were aware of it.
04:44 PM on 03/28/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
haha, awesome. My bad then. girl*
05:03 PM on 03/28/13
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wonderful editorial. Makes me a bit sad.

That line in It's Not a Fashion Statement is one my favourites, too. It gives chills.
06:21 PM on 03/28/13
NickIsI
I'm Only Here to Disappoint
User Info.
They'll reunite in a couple of years.
06:35 PM on 03/28/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Beautifully written, and expresses much of what I've struggled to state in a coherent manner when talking with people about this.
07:13 PM on 03/28/13
Oskarr
I've Got Time To Kill
User Info.

was going to say something similar! That verse still gets me.
07:46 PM on 03/28/13
Jukebox Romeo
User Info.
This sums up what MCR meant to me perfectly. Thanks so much for posting this, I've been looking for a farewell piece like this.
09:00 PM on 03/28/13
harveyn590
User Info.
09:49 PM on 03/28/13
Jerold Sunga
User Info.
Made me even more sad because I had hoped of a 10 year anniversary tour for Three Cheers. Oh well.
12:28 AM on 03/29/13
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
the absolute adventure

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT