AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Say Anything News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AP.net Interview: Max Bemis

Posted by - 04:38 AM on 04/03/13
It's a big week for Max Bemis (Say Anything) as the first issue of his new comic book series, Polarity, hits stores today. We haven't heard too much from him recently as he's been busy with the comic series, his numerous musical projects, and, you know, being a new dad. Luckily, Max was able to find some precious free time last week to speak with me about what it's like being a new father and how Polarity came to be, as well as some very informative updates about his projects, especially a peak into what we should expect on the next Say Anything record and how the AP.net community influenced it.
And also, just sonically, and I know I’m being a tease, but there’s definitely going to be…when people hear the way we’re going to be making the record – I can definitely say that I’m producing it myself which is a first – but there’s certain ways sonically that we are basically changing the sound of the instruments, not necessarily my singing or songwriting, but I think that it’ll be exciting to people and it’s gonna be kind of a 180 in that respect. They are definitely the most, like, Say Anything-y type songs that I’ve written in a while – they’re very Say Anything. But the arrangements are gonna be pretty creepy.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 39
04:59 AM on 04/03/13
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
User Info.
My expectations are low. Still looking forward to this.
05:23 AM on 04/03/13
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
great, lengthy interview. good work!
06:03 AM on 04/03/13
wakeupgomer
Just here for the drinks.
User Info.
Even when he admits he's being a tease, I still feel teased. Dammit.
06:49 AM on 04/03/13
jjm1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ageed, expectations are super low but I wish the best for Max. Also, I'm no parent and this is just my assumption, but it seems like a horrible idea to raise a child on tour. I think army brats move every year at most, not every night along with the craziness of tour life to go along with it but I'm sure they'll figure out what works best.
07:17 AM on 04/03/13
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
As usual, a great read from Mr Bemis.

I'm very keen to get a copy of Polarity. Looks and sounds great.

Excited for new SA.

It’s sort of re-visiting, for me, that first record, but from a 28-year-old guy versus an 18-year-old. It’s like where are we, the people who grew up listening to blink-182 (laughs).
This is exactly where I'm at right now. I just turned 28 today.

Also, INCREDIBLY pumped for new Two Tongues, whenever that eventually happens.
08:14 AM on 04/03/13
thesinkingship
blackwitababy
User Info.
I love how he admits that he's avoiding message boards because of the pure vitriol that some posters spew.
08:40 AM on 04/03/13
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
how bout he just writes some songs that took more than a couple hours each?

after getting super into Is A Real Boy lately with all it's insane craftsmanship and then trying again to get into everything after that record, im convinced his song writing routines just got lazier and lazier over time, and im not sure he's even noticed.

unless maybe he thinks doing less makes his music sound more mature? either way, he's wrong, and i'm an asshole for telling him what to do with his art. but i mean, fuck, that album is amazing.
09:19 AM on 04/03/13
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
I love all of Say Anything's albums and I can't wait to hear what's next. Hopefully he'll do that IARB tour he promised a while back.
09:40 AM on 04/03/13
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
As usual, a great read from Mr Bemis.

I'm very keen to get a copy of Polarity. Looks and sounds great.

Excited for new SA.

It’s sort of re-visiting, for me, that first record, but from a 28-year-old guy versus an 18-year-old. It’s like where are we, the people who grew up listening to blink-182 (laughs).
This is exactly where I'm at right now. I just turned 28 today.

Also, INCREDIBLY pumped for new Two Tongues, whenever that eventually happens.
I agree 100% that line made me super excited for the new album even though IDOTG was the last album I truly enjoyed.
The problem with getting excited over how he describes an album before it's released, is that it never turns out that way. Before he said S/T was supposed to be the Most Say-Anything-y album and truly show who Say Anything was and now hes saying it was kinda their attempt at mainstream, and before he said AMD was his return to the angsty-ness of IARB and now hes saiying it was just kinda songs he felt like doing. SO I'll take what he says with a grain of salt, But always excited for new SA release, there are always atleast a few good songs on each album.
09:52 AM on 04/03/13
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
I agree 100% that line made me super excited for the new album even though IDOTG was the last album I truly enjoyed.
The problem with getting excited over how he describes an album before it's released, is that it never turns out that way. Before he said S/T was supposed to be the Most Say-Anything-y album and truly show who Say Anything was and now hes saying it was kinda their attempt at mainstream, and before he said AMD was his return to the angsty-ness of IARB and now hes saiying it was just kinda songs he felt like doing. SO I'll take what he says with a grain of salt, But always excited for new SA release, there are always atleast a few good songs on each album.

I was having the same thoughts when reading that section.

Super pumped either way. Love Max and all his output in various projects. Bring it on.
11:03 AM on 04/03/13
pissand409
User Info.
Nice long interview, no matter what happens with the music, Max will always be a really cool down to earth dude.
11:05 AM on 04/03/13
shafterdoug
User Info.
Cool.
11:34 AM on 04/03/13
richie
User Info.
I loved Anarchy My Dear and still don't give a fuck about the negative reviews. Looking forward to the new one.
12:26 PM on 04/03/13
againtocarthage
User Info.
Cant say that i am excited, nor am I teased.

Havent liked Bemis's stuff since IAB.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version