AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Paint It Black - Invisible EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Paint It Black - Invisible EP

Reviewed by: Dre Okorley (04/05/13)
Paint It Black - Invisible EP
Record Label: No Idea Records
Release Date: April 2, 2013

Paint It Black may seem to never catch a break. Whenever the name Dan Yemin is uttered (the muscled up frontman often regarded as a "master of punk chops"), tidal-wave nostalgia entrances fans in need of a Kid Dynamite or Lifetime fix. But neither band should represent the measuring stick that scrutinizes PIB's work. And although radical changes ran their four-year break (Yemin became a father of two girls and bassist Andy Nelson amped up the rage in Ceremony) their latest EP, aptly titled Invisible, affirms that each member is anything but. Its consciousness-raising bluntness, both lyrically and instrumentally, is more biting than ever.

"Greetings, Fellow Insomniacs", its wake-up call opener, makes that wholly transparent. Engulfed by lively and attention-grabbing drum fills by a talented Jared Shavelson, Yemin sharply fires: "We are breeding, multiplying // in the space between the walls // what you call living feels more like dying // if it feels like anything at all." In juxtaposition to middle track "Props For Ventriloquists", they both carry similar weight. The first eight seconds or so spotlight guitarist Josh Agran and bassist Nelson exchanging a swift gallop, driving it into reckless punk. It's not long before the signature PIB head-bopping beat makes a debut, catching Yemin in spitting growl: "You know all the steps, but you’ve got no swing // it's an 'I know why the caged bird sings' type of thing". The timeless wisdom is radiant, and a cloak of collective harmonization in the form of "Oh oh ohh oh"s tacks on a glimmer of hope amidst bark-but-no-bite complacency.

"Little Fists", whose title is a vivid canvas of innocence, could be the greatest punk rock lullaby of all time. Nothing short of aww-inducing, there's a symmetry of rage and paternal instinct where Yemin is bare in his sensitivity: "Good morning bright eyes, I watched you while you slept...and when things look bleak, I’ll kiss the tears from your cheek, and watch you clench your little fists in your sleep." It is here where we realize that Invisible completes itself as a living, breathing dichotomy in the flesh; that co-existence of beautiful creation and ferocity, being a jaded 9-to-5er yet fiercely outspoken, and growing up but not giving in is not only practical, but an absolute must.

Additional Info1. Greetings, Fellow Insomniacs
2. Headfirst
3. Props For Ventriloquism
4. Little Fists
5. D.F.W.
6. Invisible

Produced by: Paint It Black

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19.
07:33 AM on 04/05/13
Rodeo
User Info.
Awesome review. This EP is amazing and it's been on repeat quite a lot recently.
08:30 AM on 04/05/13
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
Haven't gotten this in the mail yet, but I'm stoked to get it. Loooove me some Paint It Black. I also feel super inspired every time I read the write-up they released about the title/EP, it's so beautiful.
08:47 AM on 04/05/13
Quijiba
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
RIYL??
08:59 AM on 04/05/13
Dre Okorley
HC Punk Afficionado / @dreokorley
User Info.
Straight-forward melodic hardcore punk. You can hear bits of this album streaming here and here.
11:18 AM on 04/05/13
like yesterday
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good cd. Bad review.
11:41 AM on 04/05/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Wrong. Good review; bad CD.
12:33 PM on 04/05/13
like yesterday
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No, she shouldn't be reviewing anything. Her reviews are some of the worst.
02:00 PM on 04/05/13
dunkinsdonut
User Info.
Wrong. Good bad; review CD
03:16 PM on 04/05/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I appreciate it :)

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but it's good to know that the band contacted me personally giving me props on the review. To each their own.
03:20 PM on 04/05/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Also, what didn't you like about this record?
04:54 PM on 04/05/13
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
Good CD/Good Review.
12:42 PM on 04/06/13
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
Lovely review, Dre. Love the closing line. Must check this out.
02:43 PM on 04/06/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Lovely review, Dre. Love the closing line. Must check this out.
Thanks, Kelly. Definitely check it out, it's streaming online. And of course if you like it buy it!
04:27 AM on 04/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Also, what didn't you like about this record?
To be honest, hardcore punk in general isn't doing much for me anymore. I can like the classics like Minor Threat, and some of the modern classics like Modern Life is War, and even some new bands like Gatherer and This Life is Yours, but a lot of it just bores me. And this was no different in that.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests