Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 33
01:01 PM on 04/10/13
contiinstereo
CFC Supporter
User Info.
No Sleep's vinyl releases have been stellar. This release is making that subscription even more tempting.

A bit different, a bit more of a rock vibe, but I liked it!
01:30 PM on 04/10/13
brianpaulie
User Info.
I don't understand the hype behind this band..
01:33 PM on 04/10/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
anyone else getting a sum 41 feel on the chorus?
Guitars gave me a 90s punk vibe. Definitely heard a riff somewhere that sounded like it could be by Lit haha.

Band is great, sounds great, and the people behind the songs are even better. Maura and Ryan are some of the most genuine people around.
01:33 PM on 04/10/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
I think saying their songs are supposed to be "somewhat average" is selling the band short. By a long-shot. To a certain extent, I get what I think you're trying to say -- The songs aren't complicated. But ultimately, I think for a band to be succesful playing music like this ("pop-punk" for lack of a better term) there needs to be a certain level of songwriting. From my perspective, that's the band's strong suit. The lyrics, the hooks, etc. They aren't trying to bowl everybody over with insane guitar solos but...They do have a strong tendency to write catchy-ass pop songs that are relatable to a wide breadth of individuals while including fairly specific details that create a storytelling vibe.

I have expectations for this band. High ones. They just don't relate to crazy drum fills or fret work, y'know?
Right. But like, even then the lyrics aren't deep or emotionally powerful or anything like that. They are just about life and shit and that's what makes them cool. "Somewhat average" is probably the wrong choice of words - I certainly don't want to give the impression that any group of schmuks could easily do the same things Mixtapes are doing now. But like, there are bands with better lyrics, and there are bands with catcher riffs and there are certainly bands with better vocals and instrumentation. But none of that actually matters because that isn't what Mixtapes are about to me.

I guess I have expectations, but they are just "keep doing what you have been doing" rather than how they'll take it to the next level.
02:04 PM on 04/10/13
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Right. But like, even then the lyrics aren't deep or emotionally powerful or anything like that. They are just about life and shit and that's what makes them cool. "Somewhat average" is probably the wrong choice of words - I certainly don't want to give the impression that any group of schmuks could easily do the same things Mixtapes are doing now. But like, there are bands with better lyrics, and there are bands with catcher riffs and there are certainly bands with better vocals and instrumentation. But none of that actually matters because that isn't what Mixtapes are about to me.

I guess I have expectations, but they are just "keep doing what you have been doing" rather than how they'll take it to the next level.

I don't know, man. I think lyrics are only as "deep" or "emotionally powerful" as the person listening to them wants to relate. The emotions behind most songs written are the same; but the words used to express those emotions make the differene. Saying "I hate you" outright versus saying "I wish you would die in car crash fueled by the lioness' pride of wildebeest merchant boycotts" is the same thing, y'know? Not that the metaphor I just laid out made any sense at all but I think you know what I was getting at. Haha. I guess I'm just defending the art of keeping it simple. For me, what makes this band special and above/beyond their peers is the lyrical content (which weirdly reminds me of the Hold Steady).

Anyway. I get what you're saying. And the silly feeling I felt while waxing poetic about their lyrics above is evidence that you're probably right. Haha.
02:53 PM on 04/10/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
they play simple music but they do it well. i like the song.
02:58 PM on 04/10/13
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
This sounds way better than their past material. I definitely dig it

Got me interested in the record!
03:19 PM on 04/10/13
Calvin Lauber
User Info.
Man their leads just always sound so bad. Like the tone just sounds like a kid playing guitar through a line 6 amp.. pretty good song though, I can see a bit of a weezer vibe.
04:06 PM on 04/10/13
.dot
behance.net/jordanhaenlein
User Info.
I don't understand the hype behind this band..
People like them because they write really catchy songs that are relatable to everyone.
04:53 PM on 04/10/13
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
good song. stoked for their new record !
07:21 PM on 04/10/13
AReiss
Coffee & Cigarettes Clothing Co.
User Info.
I was really into this band, but then I saw them live and they just seemed to shit on a bunch of kids in the audience, including my friend who killed himself a month or so later. Not to say that they caused it by picking on him, because they didn't, but I think it shows a bit of conflict between what they practice and what they preach. They talk about kids being introverted and staying at home and those are the kids that they hope listen to their music, but then they're a bunch of dicks at their shows, as if to totally ignore what they've talked about and sang about--kids being bummed out and fragile.

I don't know. Mixed feelings I guess. But that show was extremely off-putting. I don't want to support shit talkers.
08:17 PM on 04/10/13
get up kidd
I refuse to sink
User Info.
I feel like this band has written small amounts of gold, and they could be something really good. But they don't have any one song, or record that blows me away.
08:28 PM on 04/10/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Man their leads just always sound so bad. Like the tone just sounds like a kid playing guitar through a line 6 amp.. pretty good song though, I can see a bit of a weezer vibe.

What do you mean I can't gig with crunch tone and gain on 10!? I even bought a little channel switch
Pedal for those gnarly solos.
08:46 PM on 04/10/13
Calvin Lauber
User Info.
What do you mean I can't gig with crunch tone and gain on 10!? I even bought a little channel switch
Pedal for those gnarly solos.

Hahahaha really tho
09:24 PM on 04/10/13
RyanRockwell
Mixtapes
User Info.
Thanks to anyone that listened to the song, I can't wait for people to hear the record, so if you liked it or not thank you for listening! The only response I have is this record I would say way more than anything we have put out sounds less like anything we have ever done, it's for sure different in some ways and everyone who's heard it has agreed, that's why I can't wait for the full length to come out. As for us being mean at shows and your friend, that is awful, and I always try to practice what I preach and outside of making fun of trends or bands we find goofy I'm not sure what you mean, the fact that we get to tour and do what we do on any scale is incredible to me and just being at shows we play and talking to people and making new friends is one of the most exciting things in the world. So if it has ever come across any negative way (and it obviously has) then I am very sorry.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos