Username
Password

02:24 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Whalejaw
Hi Mr. Meeseeks! I'm Mr. Meeseeks!
Dayton, OH
Male - 28 Years Old
Sepinwall wrote an interesting article on the increasing demands of keeping up with all the TV shows airing as more and more is produced each year. I thought it might spark some interesting discussion here as I know a lot of us watch an absurd amount of television.

I'd saying on average I'm watching 3-4 hours of TV a night and I can definitely relate to what he's talking about. This past year especially my patience with new shows is not lasting as long as it used to be. The new shows I have been watching have impacted the old regulars though. I've started stockpiling shows that have dipped in quality to burn through at a later time. I'd probably stop watching those entirely to make room for other shows if I didn't have a sick obsession with completing everything I watch.
02:37 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
Highgarden
Male - 22 Years Old
Kind of realized that I, along with my roommates, probably watch an insane amount of television...but we're just used to it.
06:00 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
I don't watch as much TV as I'd like to, mainly because I don't have enough time. There's lots of shows that I've been meaning to watch or would like to check out, but I already have too much on my plate.

I've dropped a few shows (after much internal debate) in order to pick up new shows and it always kills me.
06:19 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
Pa
Male - 28 Years Old
Article won't load for me at work, but I honestly don't think there's much "good" television out there.. Most of it is crap, and even some shows I keep up with (Walking Dead, Community) are crap.

I also don't really watch shows when they first air, it makes things a lot easier. If after a season or two people are raving about it, then I catch up on it through netflix or something... but to give every show a chance right off the bat, THAT'S a lot of work.
06:39 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
Article won't load for me at work, but I honestly don't think there's much "good" television out there.. Most of it is crap, and even some shows I keep up with (Walking Dead, Community) are crap.

I also don't really watch shows when they first air, it makes things a lot easier. If after a season or two people are raving about it, then I catch up on it through netflix or something... but to give every show a chance right off the bat, THAT'S a lot of work.

Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Louie are monumental achievements that will go down as some of the best television of all time

IFC, Comedy Central and Adult Swim have ridiculously good current and future projects for the best of the current comedy scene.

Plus: Justified, Girls (which I dont watch yet), GoT, Always Sunny, Boardwalk Empire

This is an amazing time for television
06:56 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
didjatell
none of this is for serious
i can't keep up anymore, i'm behind on everything except workaholics

it's too much
06:59 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
DrStrong
Resident Misogynist
Kansas City, MO
Male
No such thing as too much. IMO, there isn't any "good" shows on network TV, like FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC. My favorite shows are either on FX, AMC, Shotime, or HBO, with the exception for some oddballs out there.

Most of the time shows don't overlap, especially if they're really big contenders, so it's not like I'm torn on what to watch on Sunday nights or something. Besides, with the DVR, it's not hard to keep up with everything.
07:27 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
Pa
Male - 28 Years Old
Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Louie are monumental achievements that will go down as some of the best television of all time

IFC, Comedy Central and Adult Swim have ridiculously good current and future projects for the best of the current comedy scene.

Plus: Justified, Girls (which I dont watch yet), GoT, Always Sunny, Boardwalk Empire

This is an amazing time for television

I'm with you on Mad Men and Breaking Bad... I like Louie, but I wouldn't label it a monumental achievement. There's no doubt there are a lot of good shows out there, but I can name 5 times as many shows lingering around/getting praise that are terrible.

If sports didn't exist, I don't think I'd have any problem keeping up with shows I consider good that keep my interest.
07:40 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
I'm with you on Mad Men and Breaking Bad... I like Louie, but I wouldn't label it a monumental achievement. There's no doubt there are a lot of good shows out there, but I can name 5 times as many shows lingering around/getting praise that are terrible.

If sports didn't exist, I don't think I'd have any problem keeping up with shows I consider good that keep my interest.

Nothing on television is like Louie. Nothing can compare to what he is doing with that show. It can't be called a straight comedy because of how crushingly depressing some scenes/episodes are. And it isnt a drama because it contains some of the funniest scenes of the year consistently. It's weird and boundary pushing and experimental and just perfect.
07:48 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
didjatell
none of this is for serious
Nothing on television is like Louie. Nothing can compare to what he is doing with that show. It can't be called a straight comedy because of how crushingly depressing some scenes/episodes are. And it isnt a drama because it contains some of the funniest scenes of the year consistently. It's weird and boundary pushing and experimental and just perfect.
i have to agree, although it reminds me of something and i can't put my finger on it
07:53 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
Pittsburgh
Male - 24 Years Old
No such thing.
07:56 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old

100% agreed.
08:01 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
Pa
Male - 28 Years Old

I'm pretty divided on the show to be honest. I appreciate it for what it is, and it's exactly how you've described it. It's well done, it's different, it elicits a lot of different emotions... But (and I'm sure this opinion will be in the minority on here) there are some times when I'm done watching it I feel as if I've just wasted a half hour. I didn't laugh, I didn't sympathize or connect with any character, and I didn't find amusement in the "nothing-ness" or real-life depiction of his life. Some episodes aren't good or bad, they're just there.

At the same time, some episodes I think are genius. I laugh harder than I do watching anything else. I really go back and forth with the show.
08:07 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
Star Slight
I'm pretty divided on the show to be honest. I appreciate it for what it is, and it's exactly how you've described it. It's well done, it's different, it elicits a lot of different emotions... But (and I'm sure this opinion will be in the minority on here) there are some times when I'm done watching it I feel as if I've just wasted a half hour. I didn't laugh, I didn't sympathize or connect with any character, and I didn't find amusement in the "nothing-ness" or real-life depiction of his life. Some episodes aren't good or bad, they're just there.

At the same time, some episodes I think are genius. I laugh harder than I do watching anything else. I really go back and forth with the show.

I mean the more I think about pop culture criticism the more I realize that the ability to relate to characters or lyrics does not matter. A growing pet peeve of mine is this idea that it is somehow wrong that characters are not relatable or unlikable. It's a self centered way of criticizing art.
08:29 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
kwsqd
love has torn us apart
Reading, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
If you watch a lot of shit tv shows, so much that you become accustomed to them, you will dilute the average quality of what you deem to be acceptable/good tv.... and you will eventually think most shows are worth watching (even though they are not). i.e. Sepinwall's problem.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos