Username
Password
Jacks Mannequin News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Jacks Mannequin
Inside AP.net

Andrew McMahon Posts Blog Update

Posted by: Jason Tate (04/30/13)
Andrew McMahon has posted a blog update on the release of his new album.
It is not lost on me that tonight is exceptional. Exceptional for many reasons. Exceptional because I am at peace. Exceptional because on evenings such as this, in other lives, I was a mess. I have spent many nights in terminals like this one; waiting on a trains or planes, dreaming of final destinations. Tonight is different though. A broad leather chair with wooden arms, one of many in LAís union station, holds me close as I type these words. I am eager for the tracks and my wife on the other side, but I am glad to be here for now, if only for a moment.

Blonde headed girls and latin queens mingle amongst business men and transients heading to and from. Los Angeles was a home for me briefly but our relationship was sordid at best. I was not ready for this town. I came here to hide and oh the blame I placed on her, this fair, unsuspecting city. Still, I have come back to reclaim her. Tonight, I quietly prepare to release 4 simple songs, and I do so from this station in the center of her veiny heart. The same heart I claimed once did not exist.

The truth is, we are all on some crazy journey. We may not recognize ourselves in photographs from our past, but it does not mean we were different people. Sometimes it feels like that, but tonight I recognize myself. I recognize why I left my little corner of southern sand to hide in the sparkle of a million earthbound stars. It was all hills and pain and ďmaybe this didnít happenĒ when I knew it did. I know it did now. So now itís me and the train and the car parked underground, and ďIíll be home at nine for dinnerĒ and Iíll be back here in the morning to tell some newsman the story, or what I remember of it. Iím okay with that.

Tonight is the evening of The Pop Underground. A night where I let what wasbe and let what is be discovered. I didnít build an army to tell this story. I didnít need to. Iím not trying to prove anything to anyone. Tomorrow I will wake up and follow these tracks the other direction. I will answer some questions and then disappear into the same studio where I wrote this little record of songs. I will meet two people for the first time and we will talk about life and art and try and write a new song. The next day I will do the same, because thatís what this is all about when it comes down to it. Not the song, or the train, or the studio, but the story, the craft and the risk of showing up. To all of you who listen, thank you. Thank you, because I love making things. Thank you, because this is what Iím meant to do and Iíd be lost without it.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 48
10:56 AM on 04/30/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
10:59 AM on 04/30/13
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
What eloquent diction.
11:00 AM on 04/30/13
Aliarcy
From Fragile Seeds
User Info.
i really like Synesthesia and After The Fire, Catching Cold is pretty good, and Learn To Dance has an absolutely terrible chorus

8/10, i'm satisfied
11:05 AM on 04/30/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I can't download Learn To Dance from the link they sent out to people who pre-ordered the vinyl
11:15 AM on 04/30/13
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I can't download Learn To Dance from the link they sent out to people who pre-ordered the vinyl
No one can. I emailed the address that was in the email we got sent, you might as well do the same.
11:18 AM on 04/30/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
No one can. I emailed the address that was in the email we got sent, you might as well do the same.
yea I did the same earlier. Hoping they respond to it soon. I rarely take this approach but I may just find a torrent or something of the album. I already paid for it and just want to have it on my ipod.
11:31 AM on 04/30/13
tell that mick
@mickrouse
User Info.
yea I did the same earlier. Hoping they respond to it soon. I rarely take this approach but I may just find a torrent or something of the album. I already paid for it and just want to have it on my ipod.
https://twitter.com/amslingshots/sta...90392849760257

Quote:
Learn to Dance download link has been updated. You can download from the original link in the email this morning #ThePopUnderground
11:45 AM on 04/30/13
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
11:48 AM on 04/30/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
i really like Synesthesia and After The Fire, Catching Cold is pretty good, and Learn To Dance has an absolutely terrible chorus

8/10, i'm satisfied

I don't think the chorus is bad but it sounds really similar to The Resolution
01:28 PM on 04/30/13
Bdawg
User Info.
I love when pop music is smart and well put together like this
07:54 PM on 04/30/13
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
Loving this trend of scene bands going for a more pop sound, because fuck it, they want to.

Quote:
The truth is, we are all on some crazy journey. We may not recognize ourselves in photographs from our past, but it does not mean we were different people.
And damn. That's some food for thought.
08:04 PM on 04/30/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Finally listened to the full thing.

This is by FAR my least favorite thing Andrew has ever done. Very disappointing.
08:12 PM on 04/30/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I really really life Synesthasia and Catching Cold. After The Fire is also good. Learn To Dance is meh. I like the direction of this music but I do have some worries about his solo project.

- SOCO was an awesome piano-rock band that had a whole band created energy
- Jack's Mannequin was very much a narrative and Andrew's life was very much a drive of inspiration

That being said I don't hear where in these songs an identity is being created. I do wish it was longer. I like it. I actually loved People & Things despite all the backlash it got but I do find the first two songs on this EP as good if not better than anything from that album. The final two tracks I can't say that. I need to hear more to really make a judgement to how I will enjoy this solo project in comparisons to his past works.

I do very much enjoy the synth driven songs he is making now. Overall I would rate the EP a 7/10 as very enjoyable with room for improvement and a bit too short.
01:06 AM on 05/01/13
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
User Info.
Finally listened to the full thing.

This is by FAR my least favorite thing Andrew has ever done. Very disappointing.

What?!?!?!?!
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News