AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Money News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Money
Inside AP.net

Eve 6 Frontman Starts PledgeMusic Campaign For Solo...

Posted by: Jason Tate (05/01/13)
Max Collins, of Eve 6, is making a solo album -- it's a PledgeMusic campaign, you know the drill by now.
In February I started recording, without a record deal or any sort of plan in place, completely on my own resources. I recruited friend and Fountains of Wayne drummer Brian Young to lay down some drum tracks and before I knew it we had the record tracked. Then came the question of how we would finance it; pay the people involved, get it mixed and mastered and out.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
01:38 PM on 05/01/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
After the last Eve 6 album I will take my chances after this comes out. They all need to focus on writing good lyrics again with wit and charm.
01:47 PM on 05/01/13
TylorPhillip
User Info.
"The question of how we'd finance it..."

Do like every artist/band that's trying to make it...work multiple jobs and save up to pay for it. Don't just ask others to pay for it. This gets so annoying.
01:50 PM on 05/01/13
a3s1g1
User Info.
I assume this spells another dark period for Eve 6, since Max's Twitter page went from 'Eve6Max' to 'MaxCollinsMusic'...but whatever, that last album wasn't as good as I was hoping for anyway.
01:52 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
"The question of how we'd finance it..."

Do like every artist/band that's trying to make it...work multiple jobs and save up to pay for it. Don't just ask others to pay for it. This gets so annoying.
Fine, I'll bite.

If Joe sells his time to Subway, and the market deems he can makes 10 bucks an hour to make sammichs -- that's ok.

But if Joe can sell his time to a fan, and the market deems he can make 100 bucks an hour selling Skype calls -- that's not ok?
01:54 PM on 05/01/13
streetcar
User Info.
"Guys i am starting a kickstarter to fund an album.. its called "60 years" its going to be a collection of noises for the next 60 years of just me and my family doing stuff around the house... And with your help.. you the fans.. we will create a masterpiece.. I am asking a very low pledge of 4 million dollars.. Dont worry.. there will be no kids on the album.. I saw what you guys did to eisley.. Thanks again.."
02:02 PM on 05/01/13
TylorPhillip
User Info.
Fine, I'll bite.

If Joe sells his time to Subway, and the market deems he can makes 10 bucks an hour to make sammichs -- that's ok.

But if Joe can sell his time to a fan, and the market deems he can make 100 bucks an hour selling Skype calls -- that's not ok?

I'm not saying it's not a common sense approach for people to do it. It's obviously easier. I'm not making a judgement on its validity. I'm just saying it's annoying and lazy, which is totally my "in my day, kids did it the right way and earned it" opinion. It just feels slimy to me, whether it's appropriate or not.
02:07 PM on 05/01/13
j0shlucas
User Info.
Is there any place on PledgeMusic where you can see how much they are trying to raise? It doesn't seem like there is. How sneaky
02:18 PM on 05/01/13
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
Fine, I'll bite.

Well that really just depends on the economic theory you're using to weigh that question, since I think everyone would agree that a sandwich has far more tangible, intrinsic value than playing 20 questions on Skype. So, in that case: No, this guy's "rewards" aren't okay.
02:18 PM on 05/01/13
Zamilton Nerfy
is goin to Bear Prom
User Info.
That trip to medieval times prize sounds interesting.
02:20 PM on 05/01/13
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Like this guy, didn't really dig the last album. On the fence.
02:21 PM on 05/01/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Well that really just depends on the economic theory you're using to weigh that question, since I think everyone would agree that a sandwich has far more tangible, intrinsic value than playing 20 questions on Skype. So, in that case: No, this guy's "rewards" aren't okay.
Nope. Not everyone would agree with that. At all. Value is assigned by what someone is willing to pay. I'd pay a shit load to Skype with some of my favorite artists.

This is one of the reasons eBay can exist.

What you're willing to pay != what everyone is willing to pay.
02:35 PM on 05/01/13
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Fine, I'll bite.

Thank you.

Also, people don't realise they're basically only shifting the risk away from whoever might be investing in the project to the fans, which is, in my book, a really good thing.
02:47 PM on 05/01/13
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
I hope it's not the end of Eve6, sure Speak in Code was alright and not great but it still has some jams (Blood Brother, Curtain, Lions Den, Moon). I was at Bootleg theater in LA the other night seeing a friends band and was waiting in line for the bathroom next to Jon from Eve6. As soon as a I saw him, I wondered if they would be making a follow up to SIC.

Ill probably pledge to this since I love Max's music. Ill have to wait till next check though.
03:02 PM on 05/01/13
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
I might be interested in this if I had a decent idea of what I was paying for, music-wise. That clip playing in the video wasn't nearly enough..
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests