AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Friday Discussion: A Rant About Why Your Reason for Buying Vinyl...

Posted by - 02:26 PM on 05/03/13
Today we've got a guest column from Nick Mango -- he's a co-founder of cool companies like Limited Run and Card Included -- for our Friday Discussion. Nick has been collecting vinyl for over 20 years, and he has a few things to say to people who claim they buy vinyl because of the "warmer sound" or other similar reasons...read the full column in the replies, get mad at it or agree with it, and let your voice be heard.
You don't have to worry about sounding superficial. When the reporter asks you, "So why pay 20 bucks for a piece of plastic, when the digital version is available for one third the price?" I give you permission to say, "Hey dick, why do people pay $80 to have a crocodile on their shirt? Cause that little dude has style!"

Vinyl has style. It's got history. It's got potential. It's not just music. It's a physical representation of music.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 96
02:26 PM on 05/03/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
By Nick MangoI've been collecting vinyl for nearly 20 years, so you can trust me when I tell you that anyone who says they buy vinyl over digital because it sounds "warmer" or "fuller" or "thicker" or some other bullshit adjective that has absolutely nothing to do with music is lying directly through their American Spirit-stained teeth.

THE WORLD IS BUYING VINYL BECAUSE IT'S FUCKING COOL!

These articles where reporters try to get their "investigatory" groove on, and dig deep into the reasoning behind this near decade-long resurgence of vinyl, are flat out killing me. I don't know what it is about the media microphone, but when it's put in front of a vinyl buyer's face, it alters their brain and turns them into some eclectic sound quality maverick, out to prove that they love music more than the next dude that listens to their favorite albums on an iPod.

HEY BRO, I LISTEN TO MY FAVORITE ALBUMS ON AN IPOD!

You don't have to worry about sounding superficial. When the reporter asks you, "So why pay 20 bucks for a piece of plastic, when the digital version is available for one third the price?" I give you permission to say, "Hey dick, why do people pay $80 to have a crocodile on their shirt? Cause that little dude has style!"

Vinyl has style. It's got history. It's got potential. It's not just music. It's a physical representation of music. When you hold the vinyl version of an album you love in your hand, you feel like you're closer to the album. You feel like you're supporting the album. You feel like you're supporting the band. You feel like you know something that some other poor schmuck doesn't.

Some people go to shows and raise their index finger. Some people follow bands on tour. Some people get tattoos. Some people stalk. Some people get restraining orders. But the easiest (and safest) way to show you love a particular band is buying vinyl. It occupies space in your room. It's displayed proudly. It's says, "Yeah I listen to Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill. So what of it!?"

Now there's going to be some people who think I'm an asshole. Some people out there are saying, "When I drop that needle on a record, the sound that comes out makes my heart whisper sweet nothings into the ear of every lover I've ever lost. I hate you for taking that away from me." *runs from room* "MMMMOOOMMMMMM!!!!! Where did you put my acoustic guitar?!" Well I'm sorry about that. I'm not here to be delicate. I'm not here to be kind. I'm here to put an end to this shit. And here's how we're going to do it...

The next time someone tells you that the sound of vinyl is like angels speaking the word of god directly into their soul, respond with this:

Do you own record cleaning equipment? Cause I heard that if you don't clean your vinyl, dust builds up in the grooves and over time it ruins your needle. And if you don't own record cleaning equipment, when was the last time you changed the needle on your turntable? Cause I heard that if you don't replace a needle after a few hundred hours of playback, you could do serious damage to your records. Speaking of damaging records, does your tone arm have a weight on it? Cause I heard that the only way to listen to vinyl properly is by adjusting the weight on the tone arm, so it rides the grooves perfectly. And if it's pressing too hard or not pressing enough, you're likely missing a huge range of hertz. Hmmm speaking of range...The full range of a human ear is like 20 hz to 20 Khz, (if you're still young and haven't gone to too many Spazz shows), and I heard that CDs were made specifically to fill that range. Wow, you must have some superhuman hearing I guess. Especially to hear the music over all that cracking and popping, because I heard that a good turntable, one that can play a record at a really high fidelity, without all that cracking and popping, weighs like 60 pounds, is made out of a solid slab of aluminum, and cost thousands of dollars. Do you have one of those? Can I listen to it? I heard you need an amplifier to get great sound. I heard you need speakers mounted at ear height. I bet you must have one of those listening stations, so the speakers are perfectly angled to your superhuman ears. You must be a genius. Is it true that when you're listening to The White Stripes' self-titled on vinyl, with your $20,000 listening station, your skin turns to diamonds like those dudes from Twilight?

People, I'm going to say it one more time: Vinyl is about being closer to the music. If anyone tells you different, call these fuckers out because they're ruining a culture that I've loved for more than half my life.
02:37 PM on 05/03/13
Festivus
for the rest of us...
User Info.
02:42 PM on 05/03/13
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Have to agree. I have a few records because I love them and I want to support the bands. But the sound quality on most players isn't anything worthwhile in comparison to CDs and mp3.
02:44 PM on 05/03/13
oneeightytwo
#TGG
User Info.
He has a good point.

One thing I like about vinyl is the (usually) HQ artwork - a good example is the early Iron Maiden records, they have so many hidden images present, not to mention the artist's stamp (to find), the CD cover doesn't usually suffice.
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
shout out to Spazz. my crust records just sound really warmer and rich on vinyl. ya kno?
Amongster
Again And Again
User Info.
I don't own a high-end turntable, nor do I have superhuman ears, but I do clean my records and have a decent sound system. I'm sure I'm not getting the most I possibly could out of my music on vinyl, but there is a noticeable difference when I listen to some albums. For example, my vinyl copy of Toto from 1978 has a very full and warm sound, but the digital version I downloaded from iTunes? It sounds tinny as fuck.

I don't buy records because of sound quality, though. I buy them because I enjoy the large artwork, physically owning music, and the ritual of playing it on a turntable.
02:45 PM on 05/03/13
wanielledalsh
https://twitter.com/WanielleDalsh
User Info.
You know what really grinds my gears...
02:50 PM on 05/03/13
Hagysaurus Rex
We yell like hell to the heavens.
User Info.
At first I thought "Wow this guy sounds like a total dick" and then I was all "Hey, some of that actually makes sense"
02:50 PM on 05/03/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
I buy vinyl because its fun to collect my favorite albums. Definitely more fun than buying CDs. I have a record player but I'm rarely home and rarely use it. I do sometimes, but yeah, rarely.
02:55 PM on 05/03/13
ianknight0n
Bringer of Death
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I buy records solely for the experience. Whether it's the thrill of completing a collection or sitting around the turntable with a couple friends listening to "The Hawk is Howling" for the 100th time. Yeah, they're nice to listen to, but not much nicer than a high quality MP3 through the same equipment.
02:57 PM on 05/03/13
thesinkingship
Hummingbirds who lost the plot
User Info.
Yep, he's got it right.
03:01 PM on 05/03/13
trevorshmevor
User Info.
Yes, fucking hell yes. I personally do not purchase vinyl (don't have anything against it, it's just not something I care about), but this guy hit the nail on the head in that second to last paragraph. Working around audio equipment for about five years, that is exactly what pops into my head when somebody tries to look down on those who listen to an iPod instead of vinyl.
03:10 PM on 05/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Cool story, Chad Farthouse
03:10 PM on 05/03/13
Helen Keller.
Moustache Cash Stash
User Info.
I don't own a high-end turntable, nor do I have superhuman ears, but I do clean my records and have a decent sound system. I'm sure I'm not getting the most I possibly could out of my music on vinyl, but there is a noticeable difference when I listen to some albums. For example, my vinyl copy of Toto from 1978 has a very full and warm sound, but the digital version I downloaded from iTunes? It sounds tinny as fuck.

I don't buy records because of sound quality, though. I buy them because I enjoy the large artwork, physically owning music, and the ritual of playing it on a turntable.
That's the case where that claim is actually valid. A lot of really classic records made before, I'd say around the '90s(?), sound godawful in a digital format. When I first heard Pink Floyd's The Wall, it was through digital and I couldn't stand it. Even in lossless format, it sounded so cold and digital. The vinyl, however....holy shit. IMO, "the warmer sound" excuse is only valid with old records.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos