02:13 PM on 05/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Thee only vinyls I by r Skillex. U kno.
02:15 PM on 05/03/13
gregplaysdrums
Drummer
User Info.
I collect records because I love the idea of having a physical representation of the music. That, and the collectability of vinyl. I used to buy a ton of CDs that ultimately retained maybe 1/10th of the value at best. It's nice knowing that my collection (while not intended to be sold any time soon) retains or even increases in value.
02:17 PM on 05/03/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I have invested a fair amount of money into acquiring a nice-sounding system, but yeah...I mainly buy records because I think they're cool and I like to collect. Reading this hit home for me.
02:20 PM on 05/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
On a real real note, I agree with a lot of this article. Like it. It doesn't really sound "better" per ce but I like the warmness of vinyl records. It truly does have character compared to digital. But yeah, the clarity isn't going to be better without very expensive equipment.
02:20 PM on 05/03/13
TylorPhillip
User Info.
I agree. I buy vinyl because it forces me to sit down and pay attention to the music. To get up and flip it over to side B. To have a moment where I'm not on a bus or at my work desk and i can feel a little more connected to the music. It's really that simple. I just want to feel a bit closer to the process.
02:21 PM on 05/03/13
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.
For me there's just a certain romanticism in collecting records. Maybe it stems from their history, or the fact that it exciting as hell to flip through bins in a dusty record shop, or maybe it's just that marbled vinyl looks sweet....I don't know. They look cool when they spin, they're a blast to hunt down, and I get to throw some money towards bands I like. Slightly varied sound quality is a huge afterthought.
02:23 PM on 05/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Last two posts are on point ^
02:30 PM on 05/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Thinking about it though, for the first time in years people are eager to buy physical music. I get where this guy is coming from but why is he just dogging people for buying music, for whatever reason they might do it. Pretty counter productive, especially considering the companies he's help create. What good does this article do? None.

The nail he hit hardest is that he sounds like a dick.
02:32 PM on 05/03/13
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
Good editorial. Some older records do have a pleasant warmth to them, but when it's a freaking pop-punk record pressed from WAV files, people are usually full of it
02:33 PM on 05/03/13
JPA917
@JPA05
User Info.
For me, it gives me an opportunity to really listen to the music. Music has become so easily accessible that listening to it has become more of a mundane activity. You listen while you're walking somewhere, working out, running, sitting at your desk at work, etc. Listening to a record gives me a chance to fully focus on the art, rather than listening to it while I'm doing other daily things. Also, throw in all the variants of records, killing time in record stores, and finding some old gems every now and again. It's just a fun experience for me.
02:35 PM on 05/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Good editorial. Some older records do have a pleasant warmth to them, but when it's a freaking pop-punk record pressed from WAV files, people are usually full of it

Haha so true
02:38 PM on 05/03/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Completely true.

Also, if you listen to vinyl on this, you're not getting sound benefits.

02:39 PM on 05/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Sorry, but bored and posting and I love records.

I also love the act of going to record stores. I literally love it. I prefer to go alone as well as I get in my own head space. I just like to stone out I mean zone out and stare and dig and wonder. I'll buy old records on their jackets alone just because I need to know how it sounds. I feel lucky to live in two cities that have a pretty good, thriving music community. A lot of good indie shops - about ten - that get tons of local support. Although RSD is pretty commercial now, it still makes me smile seeing people get out that day. Even if they never usually go to their local spots. The awareness alone is great.
02:41 PM on 05/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Completely true.

Also, if you listen to vinyl on this, you're not getting sound benefits.

I'd rather see this on an end table than an iPod dock.
02:58 PM on 05/03/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I haven't bought a CD in like a year. If I'm buying a physical copy of something its gonna be the vinyl, its bigger and cooler and CD's are pretty lame.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos