AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Moose Blood - Boston/Orlando Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Moose Blood - Boston/Orlando

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (05/07/13)
Moose Blood - Boston/Orlando
Release Date: April 28, 2013
Record Label: Venn Records

Moose Blood is very busy. Their debut EP, Moving Home, came out in February, and now they’ve already released a new single. Not to mention their recent singing to No Sleep Records and their upcoming split with melodic hardcore band Departures (are they any good?).

The Canterbury twinkle daddies’ new double A-side single, aptly named Boston/Orlando, contains two new songs more in the vein of Moving Home’s closer (and best track) “Bukowski.” What they’re missing is the constant American Football or Jimmy Eat World references or lyrics about coffee. But that’s somewhat of a good thing. “Boston” is the shorter of the two, and one of the shortest songs the band has releases thus far. It starts with a soft guitar riff similar to that of Daytrader’s “If You Need It” before the full band kicks in nearly thirty seconds in. The track is incredibly catchy, and I’ve been waking up with its chorus stuck in my head quite often. Speaking of its chorus, I think many AP users will really appreciate the reference there. It is the softer of the two songs. Around the minute and a half mark is a slightly Mineral-esque instrumental bridge.

“Orlando” has a minute-long intro that consists of drum rolls and snare hits not unlike the start of Basement’s “Wish.” Then the smooth, accented vocals come in and the urge to sing along with, “You’re wearing too much perfume/ it doesn’t suit you” is too much to handle. Following this is a crescendo to the end of the song, which features shouty gang vocals. The instrumentation in the bridge sounds similar to something the Promise Ring would write, which is never a bad comparison.

I’ve said it in the past. I will say it again now: Moose Blood are one of the best bands in the current emo/indie/twinkly scene. If that wasn't evident already by their excellent Moving Home EP, it surely is here.

"Listening to Deja Entendu/ thinking about you."

Recommended If You Liketwinkle daddies, You Blew It!, Tigers Jaw, Into It. Over It., American Football but poppier

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
01:30 AM on 05/12/13
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
SO good. Great to see them reviewed, I really hope these guys blow up soon.
01:46 PM on 05/12/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
SO good. Great to see them reviewed, I really hope these guys blow up soon.

I figured you'd like them.
09:18 AM on 05/16/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
Great review, I'm loving this band at the moment.
05:58 PM on 05/17/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Great review, I'm loving this band at the moment.
Thanks, they're awesome.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums