Password

Album Review
Vulgaires Machins - Requiem pour les sourds Album Cover

Vulgaires Machins - Requiem pour les sourds

Reviewed by
Vulgaires Machins - Requiem pour les sourds
Record Label: Disques Indica
Release Date: March 2010
Among the myriads of Punk bands to come out of North America over the past decade, quite a few good ones come from the second largest country in World, Canada. While most of them hail from such as Toronto, Winnipeg or Vancouver, the English speaking part of the country, their French brothers in Québec seem to be fairly underrepresented in terms of bands that have made a splash outside of Canada.

Granted the fact that most bands from Québec sing in Québécois certainly figures into it and the demand for French language music isn’t that high, it is still a shame though, as bands like the Vulgaires Machins are on par with every other Punk band out there. Formed in 1995 the four piece consisting of singers and guitarists Guillaume Beauregard and Marie-Éve Roy, as well as bassist Maxime Beauregard and a revolving cast of drummers, plays a fast, melodic blend of political skate punk, that does not need to fear the comparison with the likes of Rise Against or Anti Flag.

And their 2010 outing, Requiem pour les sourds (Requiem for the deaf) once again shows the audience why. The album starts off with the blistering “Presque Complet”, which quite ironically thanks the establishment for things like war, and concludes that it is far easier to hate than to love. The song relentlessly drives forwards to explode in an anthemic chorus where Beauregard belts:

Je suis presque comblé, sur le point de dormir en paix / Je suis presque complet, manque plus que ma dose de Valium
(I am almost repaired, up to the point where I can sleep in peace. I am almost complete; all that is missing is my dose of Valium)

The second track of the record “Le Mythe de la démocratie (The myth of democracy)” again shows Beauregard’s talent at writing brilliant and poignant lyrics, but also displays a fair amount of resignation, the former idealist coming to terms with the harsh realities of our world. While musically far less somber than the lyrics, which is mainly due to NOFX-esque main riff, the song as a whole is a somewhat depressing affair as the band realizes that:

On ne peut pas réformer le, mais détruire le mythe de la démocartie/ liberté presse/ justice mon frère
(We can’t change the system, but can destroy the myth of democracy/ freedom of press/ justice my brother)

The album continues to hit the same vein of infectiously fast and melodic skate punk, with thoughtful lyrics, that are kind of depressing in their accuracy with which they describe Beauregard’s observations of the world. They even manage to smuggle in a rather positive love song: “Un peut plus fort (A little bit louder)”, but unlike most other records of this genre, where the song would have been of the sappy mid-tempo type, it actually turns out to be one of the heaviest on the record.

While the language might turn off anyone who doesn’t speak French, and many French people as well who don’t want to hear the Canadians butcher their language, “Requiem…” is in fact one of the best Punk records in a long while. If you like the likes of Bad Religion, Rise Against and Anti Flag, you should definitely give this band a go, even if you don’t speak French.

Recommended If You LikeSkate Punk; Pennywise; Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction
This review is a user submitted review from mjphotography. You can see all of mjphotography's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
04:55 AM on 05/11/13
ActOfPeace
User Info.
Such a great album!!! Great band!
11:38 AM on 05/11/13
mjphotography
Summer in Dublin! WTF?
User Info.
Sure is. I mean all their albums are great, but I think this one and the acoustic album are my favourites. Guillaume writes some of the best lyrics out there.
10:04 PM on 05/12/13
BlinkAvAfan21
She calls it a mayonegg.
User Info.
As much as I love VM this might be one of their weakest album. The two before were ten times better in every aspect (minus production, maybe) in my opinion. I do agree that their acoustic album was pretty great though.
09:23 AM on 05/13/13
mjphotography
Summer in Dublin! WTF?
User Info.
As much as I love VM this might be one of their weakest album. The two before were ten times better in every aspect (minus production, maybe) in my opinion. I do agree that their acoustic album was pretty great though.

I love all their records really, but I think this is my favorite. I grew up listening to their earlier stuff and it's just, while the music has stayed the same, Guillaume's lyrics have changed, away from the relentless idealism of youth to a more mature viewpoint. Just like mine have. So I guess that is one of the main factors why I like the record so much.

But really all of them are. "Aneantir Le Dogme" is still in my Top 10 of all time favorite songs.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos