AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 213.
04:07 AM on 05/14/13
theboohi
User Info.
I might be in just the right mood, but the end of this album brought me to tears. These fucking guys man. I'll be 28 at the end of the week and this album might as well be my answer to how I feel about it.
04:10 AM on 05/14/13
mattlieberman7
matt lieberman
User Info.
This review does such a great job of showing that even if you don't like pop punk, you should still appreciate this band. It's fucking passion and to be "the greatest generation," we need more of that.
05:00 AM on 05/14/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Such a late review posting.
Day of release?
05:12 AM on 05/14/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Really surprised at how much I like this album, haha.
05:35 AM on 05/14/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
Exceptional review Thomas, jesus that was an awesome read. way to avoid any cheesy argument over the score haha.

I haven't really gone too deep into my thoughts on the album at the risk of sounding a bit too fan boyish-- but all I can really think to say at this moment is that this is the best record so far by one of my very favorite bands. This is a record I can see sticking with me for years and years as one of my favorites; a record I can't stand to keep all to myself. I want these songs playing in my car, with my friends or family, with the windows rolled down and the sun turned up way too high. This will always be the album I listened to for the first time while I looked out across the shining Tampa skyline at 12 AM on the last night of my freshman year of college--and I know that city will hear these songs often as long as I live in it.
05:35 AM on 05/14/13
themagicrat
Winnie Cooper is a goddamned whore
User Info.
I like the record a lot, I don't love it. And I don't really care much for the last song though I seem to be in the extreme minority with that opinion. It just feels like something is missing from the track.
05:42 AM on 05/14/13
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just couldn't get into this record. I still like Passing Through a Screen Door and Dismantling Summer, but the others sound generic to me.
05:49 AM on 05/14/13
btown4life
User Info.
Great review! I finally got to give it a serious listen when my download code arrived yesterday.

I’ve only been listening to TWY for a year now, so I’ve been playing catch up. For the past year, I’ve had The Upsides and Suburbia on in my car, switching between them every so often. I enjoy The Upsides; that album takes me back to being a generally carefree college kid. You can see the both the lyrical and musical progression to Suburbia, another album which I really love. Until now, Suburbia seemed to be the album that defined my life at its current point. Then The Greatest Generation comes along and completely blows my mind. In my case, it’s “Jesus Christ, I’m 31” but the sentiment is still very much the same.

They’ve managed to write a record that describes life as a late twenty-something year old (and beyond) but yet still appeals to the younger kids. The last couple shows I went to (The Stone Pony in March and the church this past Friday) really drove that home- through the sea of teens, you could definitely spot a good number of “adults”, everyone relating to the words in their own way. I can't help but think of how kids will look back on this record, much like people my age regard SWYA or TTTYG, among others

Hearing “Screen Door” live was incredible, and gave me chills in a 90 plus degree room. This morning on the way to work (after noticing that TGG was already in the top 20 on ITunes) it nearly brought me to tears. I can’t even tell you the last time that happened to me. I think it was partially due to a genuine group of people seeing the success they deserve, and partially the realization that none of us are alone.
06:04 AM on 05/14/13
dunkinsdonut
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's no YNE that's for sure.
06:10 AM on 05/14/13
stubbie25
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can't help but think of how kids will look back on this record, much like people my age regard SWYA or TTTYG, among others

What is this exactly? I don't recognize it.
06:13 AM on 05/14/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
What is this exactly? I don't recognize it.
Stay What You Are by Saves The Day
06:22 AM on 05/14/13
rdmunson
Munsburner
User Info.
This is the third time they've amazed me. The opener and closer are the best things they've ever done in my opinion, but that doesnt mean the stuff in between isn't also great. I guarantee ten years from now all the new big pop-punk bands will be citing The Wonder Years as their biggest influence.
My thoughts exactly. Those are my favorites as well.
06:32 AM on 05/14/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.

Haha, you're behind the times, apparently.
06:33 AM on 05/14/13
yourbiggestflan
Wiw-yum Penn Eye-way!
User Info.
Incredibly awesome review Tom. I have been so excited to really listen to this but finals is this week. Next week this will most likely be all I will listen to.

Really loved devil in my bloodstream on mu first listen and wasn't sure any of the other songs could top it, but the closer sounds amazing.

So excited that it is even better than anyone could have thought. This might have potential to be my most favorite pop-punk album of all time.
06:40 AM on 05/14/13
CoopDawg
The plan keeps coming up again...
User Info.
I haven't been able to get into The Wonder Years but after reading the review, I'll give this a try.

The "create your own rating" reminds me of when Pitchfork did it for "In Rainbows."
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests