Username
Password

Album Review - Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 213.
06:56 AM on 05/14/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
I dig this, but it hit me nowhere near where Suburbia hit me. I guess there are good reasons for that discrepancy though, I first listened to Suburbia before my freshman year of college in the summer, when I was facing so many unknowns and what ifs about my future while trying to hang onto the past and my family and friends. Now that everything has almost worked itself out and I finally find myself in a more stable situation as I finish my sophomore year, I guess I don't find myself being affected by the lyrics in the same way, not to undermine their quality (although I do like Suburbia's better, but that may have to do with own aforementioned personal experience).

I do like the production a lot on this though. Vocals, drums, and especially the guitar tones are fantastic. I feel like Suburbia had more interesting song structures though, where some songs on TGG fall back into more of a typical pop-punk mold, albeit miles ahead of most pop-punk bands.

For now I'd say it's like an 8-8.5, probably more towards the former. Suburbia is about a 9.5 for me though, so I'll have to let this grow on me a bit more.
07:01 AM on 05/14/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Excellent review, Thomas. And an excellent album.
07:03 AM on 05/14/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Great review. Decent album. Solid 7.5-8 for me.
07:04 AM on 05/14/13
Deevo
The Sensi
User Info.
Great review, however when describing "Funeral" you're using the word "melody" instead of "medley". Sorry to be that guy..
07:14 AM on 05/14/13
karateced
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What the? "Final Verdict: 3%"
07:15 AM on 05/14/13
DeviateRogue
Valar Morghulis
User Info.
Meant in terms of time.
70x7brandnew
User Info.
After listening to TGG about 10-15 times, I don't think it has the same impact that Suburbia did. I think the instrumentation is a bit better, but Soupy's voice, while perfect for the band, still sounds the same. The quieter, softer parts are a nice touch, but almost too quiet, as it can be inaudible if I want to listen to the record at a comfortable volume.

I know it comes with the genre, but there isn't enough variety in the sounds of guitars to me, not enough to at least say this is anything drastically different than Suburbia. I think this album may have been better off with 10, maybe 11 songs. To me, it has the Hit The Lights' Skip School, Start Fights problem of too many songs' pieces sounding they could be placed in one another's puzzle. I just feel Suburbia had more variety throughout the album, though this is something that takes awhile to appreciate.

Nice review Thomas, although I wouldn't say it's a great one. I love the analysis done here, but like the album, maybe a tad too much extra.

Overall I really like the album. Could do without a few songs, and I wish Madelyn was done differently, but there are really good songs and great lyrics here. It's always nice to have a album that kicks everyone's ass a bit. I'll gladly pump this album through my car's stereo with the windows down driving in the PA suburbs, hopefully not dying anytime soon though!
Rodeo
User Info.
I have nothing to add here except fuck yeah. This album / review rules.
07:21 AM on 05/14/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
This review makes me not want to post other reviews today.
oh.
07:22 AM on 05/14/13
surgerone
User Info.
I have never been able to connect with TWY for some reason, and I had given up on the band entirely until I read Jason's first impressions of the album a while ago. His comments seemed to reflect my thoughts, so I decided to check out "Screen Door" and I've been in love with every new song released. I was finally able to listen to the entire album last night, and it feels like it has already defined this time in my life.
07:30 AM on 05/14/13
Siren
asdf
User Info.
I like the album, I'd give it like a 7.5 or 8. "Madelyn" should not have made the album.
07:33 AM on 05/14/13
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
User Info.
Anybody else kinda wish they would have thrown in an "I'm not sad anymore" in there somewhere?

This and Twenty One Pilots are gunning for my AOTY.
07:33 AM on 05/14/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Anybody else kinda wish they would have thrown in an "I'm not sad anymore" in there somewhere?

This and Twenty One Pilots are gunning for my AOTY.
I'm glad they didn't.
07:36 AM on 05/14/13
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
User Info.
I'm glad they didn't.
I guess I understand that perhaps it was time to move on from that but the cheeseball in me wanted that cyclical closure.
07:44 AM on 05/14/13
The Grey Man
Team Larz
User Info.
3%??????????????????????!!??!?!!???
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music