Username
Password

Album Review - Page 9
Displaying posts 120 - 135 of 213.
01:59 PM on 05/14/13
Jookl
haaaaaaaaaaaa!
User Info.
To me, I would have like the production to change a bit. It sounds a little too much like suburbia for me. Sure, the writing might me slightly better but the surprise isn't there anymore musically. It's a great record, I just feel I would have liked to hear something a bit new from these guys. Suburbia has been my most listened album over the past years and I loved it because it was so fresh, new and heartfelt. Yet, to me, I won't get overly excited for a 2nd suburbia as the nostalgia isn't there anymore. Don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic record but I would have liked something to ahve changed a bit

I would rate it 8/10.
02:14 PM on 05/14/13
DylanPPPP
Don't ya like clowns?!
User Info.
Great review. And this is great record. I'm still not sure why TWY are called pop-punk though. They haven't fit into that genre since post The Upsides.
Suburbia and this are clearly pop-punk. Just because it's not generic TSSF, Forever Came Calling, With The Punches pop-punk doesn't mean it's not pop-punk.

But I digress.

I get a big Say It Like You Mean It vibe from this record which is great because that's my favorite Starting Line record.

I haven't been able to put this down since I downloaded it and it takes a lot for me to do that these days. This band has the potential to be even more amazing, and that's saying something being as they already established themselves as a band that has a legacy in the scene and will without a doubt be remembered ala TBS, Brand New etc.

Good review, Thomas. A+
02:48 PM on 05/14/13
DangerousDarrin
User Info.
I disagree. Think it's a good choice for a single.
This. We Could Die Like This should definitely be the first music video!
03:25 PM on 05/14/13
johnbrauer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think this falls slightly short of Suburbia, not because it isn't more ambitious or has better songs, but because it has more weak points. "An American Religion" and "Madelyn" feel more like b-sides because the rest of the album sets the bar much higher. I grew to adore every song on Suburbia, but a couple songs underwhelm just slightly on this album.

It's not enough to overshadow how good the rest of it is, though. Plus they brought back a higher ratio of upbeat songs, making it feel like a middle ground between the directions of The Upsides and Suburbia. "Dismantling Summer", "Teenage Parents", "A Raindance In Traffic", and "Cul-de-sac" are all fantastic.

8.5/10 or 9/10 for me
03:33 PM on 05/14/13
dtomczak
always hungry.
User Info.
IF I'M IN AN AIRPORT, AND TOM'S IN A HOSPITAL BEDDDDD
03:36 PM on 05/14/13
dtomczak
always hungry.
User Info.
Damn good album. "There, There" is easily my favorite. Kinda disappointed that they literally repeated some parts of the previous songs in the closer - it doesn't come off as creative as say Hostage Calm's "One Last Salute". Sweet, nonetheless.
03:40 PM on 05/14/13
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
10/10 all day from this Dad.
03:46 PM on 05/14/13
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
3% huh? Alright I got all I needed, what a disappointment

lol jk

awesome review!
03:51 PM on 05/14/13
johnbrauer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Damn good album. "There, There" is easily my favorite. Kinda disappointed that they literally repeated some parts of the previous songs in the closer - it doesn't come off as creative as say Hostage Calm's "One Last Salute". Sweet, nonetheless.
It seems like there are a lot of ways to go about it. Even though it isn't a closer (should've been), I think ADTR's "Another Song About The Weekend" is my favorite song of this sort. It changes the tense of the lyrics to the present and uses musical elements of the other songs without directly playing them. Its subtle nature is cool.
03:52 PM on 05/14/13
mrgenious
the sugary smell of spring time
User Info.
score's too high.
04:24 PM on 05/14/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I haven't been able to get into The Wonder Years but after reading the review, I'll give this a try.

The "create your own rating" reminds me of when Pitchfork did it for "In Rainbows."
Yeah, except Pitchfork did that as a joke since In Rainbows was a pay-what-you-want release. When you tried to make a score it said it was a 9.3 if I recall correctly.
04:41 PM on 05/14/13
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
User Info.
Great album. Hasn't completely connected with it yet. At least not as much as the others yet. 8/10 so far
04:48 PM on 05/14/13
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
Dude, I appreciate your attention and dedication to detail and capturing every minute detail in writing, but I find your writing at the same time exhaustive and long-winded. Maybe I'm just used to Drew and Blake.

Will have to give this record another spin. I found myself stunned by some tracks (I played "There, There" no less than 20 times yesterday) but bored with others. Either way, hopefully I will get a chance to see these guys live, because I do appreciate them as a band.
05:00 PM on 05/14/13
Amib70
You think of everything
User Info.
Nice review Thomas! Totally in love with this record, despite all other releases distracting me at the moment. I think I'd give it around a 7.5 or 8 for now, but it'll probably raise a bit the more time I spend listening. Hope you're feeling better!
05:02 PM on 05/14/13
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
still digging and still forming an opinion about this, but I'm liking it a lot so far. Seems like a Suburbia on steroids.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests