Username
Password

Comments: Page 10
Displaying posts 135 - 150 of 213
06:03 PM on 05/14/13
lordchamberlain
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not to be "that guy," but anyone listening to TWY before The Upsides knew they would be great (because they already were). The Upsides didn't have to prove the band wasn't a fluke, let alone Suburbia, because they never were one.
06:21 PM on 05/14/13
Psib
When I get home I'll get high alone
User Info.
I just finished my first listen of this. Im still not sold on it. I think suburbia still stands as my favorite. But with more listens ill probably love this album just the same.
06:40 PM on 05/14/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Not to be "that guy," but anyone listening to TWY before The Upsides knew they would be great (because they already were). The Upsides didn't have to prove the band wasn't a fluke, let alone Suburbia, because they never were one.
Honestly I was not sold till suburbia. Their first album has its fun moment but for the most partn is a joke imo. The Upsides is much better but Suburbia is when the band really solidified themselves. Like I said its just my opinion but I have no desire to listen to their first album anymore. Easycore normally is not my thing but this band has continued to define themselves as so much more.
06:43 PM on 05/14/13
tdlyon
Set phasers to love me
User Info.
I own both The Upsides and Suburbia, and while I like a select few songs on them, I was never able to get into The Wonder Years. However, after listening to this album it's just clicked. This album is fucking incredible. It blows away anything else they've ever done imo.
06:47 PM on 05/14/13
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
Fantastic piece Thomas. Would expect no less from you when it comes to these guys. Album is really phenomenal. If I were to create my own score..... I'd give it a 9.
Agreed, record is phenomenal.
07:09 PM on 05/14/13
phillycheese37
I'll be back around
User Info.
I'm really surprised I'm the only one who thinks We Could Die Like This was amongst the weakest tracks on the album
07:40 PM on 05/14/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Funny that the band doesn't even want to really be associated with their first album. And WBPF left a lot to be desired sans Salinger. They completely took it to a new level with The Upsides.
07:50 PM on 05/14/13
Bryan Mac
GFYTN
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agreed.
Funny that the band doesn't even want to really be associated with their first album. And WBPF left a lot to be desired sans Salinger. They completely took it to a new level with The Upsides.
WBPF was pretty much on par with The Upsides. The lyrics on that EP ruled.
Also, Dan and Steinborn are the only ones that I've seen completely disown GSOI!.
07:53 PM on 05/14/13
anbatal
User Info.
great review for a great album
08:04 PM on 05/14/13
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
Can anyone else hear some Your Favorite Weapon in this particular record?
I hear some Jesse Lacey in "I used to have such steady hands..." in Raindance in Traffic. Thought that since the first time I heard it.
08:08 PM on 05/14/13
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
This album is killer. I can't see anything beating it for my AOTY. My favorite band has delivered hard on this one.

Great review Thomas. I love how you said that no one was expecting this. When I first heard the quiet intro of There, There, I knew it would be different than I was expecting.

My favorite tracks at this point are Cul-de-sac, Devil in my Bloodstream, There, There, and Dismantling Summer. Without a doubt, this is their best work.
08:17 PM on 05/14/13
lordchamberlain
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

doesn't matter if soupy wants to disown the album, the band has GSOI to thank for a lot of its early fans. i agree that they took it to a new level with the upsides, which is precisely my point. WBPF was good; if anything proved the band wasn't a fluke, it's the upsides, but certainly not suburbia.
08:19 PM on 05/14/13
steve187
nah
User Info.
it's great but it doesn't quite compare to the upsides and suburbia, at least not yet. only listened about 3-4 times all the way through so far so i definitely need to give it more listens to really let it sink in
09:29 PM on 05/14/13
bladerdude360
saved latin. What did you ever do?
User Info.
Waiting to listen to this until my vinyl arrives. Really looking forward to sitting down with it though, especially after this.
10:16 PM on 05/14/13
CrewysLane
User Info.
just cause i want to. GFYTN

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News