Username
Password

Album Review - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 213.
09:36 PM on 05/14/13
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
The feelings I get from this album are a cross between the feelings I get from A Dangerous Summer's Reach For The Sun and Brand New's TDAGARIM. This album feels so incredibly easy to connect with. This is one of those albums that I think will have a certain kind of longevity with me.

One thing is for certain: This album is definitely a grower. I thought it was just alright the first time I heard it. I definitely felt like I missed something. After a couple of listens with more focus, I really started to like the album more.
09:40 PM on 05/14/13
RussVanderhoof
User Info.
this album is magic. great review bud.~
09:55 PM on 05/14/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
After a ton of listens of this album and going back to their other work I think this is where the album stands.

In order of which one I prefer: The Upsides < The Greatest Generation < Suburbia...

In order of which is the better record: The Upsides < Suburbia..., The Greatest Generation

Favorite song from the trilogy: "Devil In My Bloodstream"

Overall I love the album a lot. I find it less catchy as Suburbia which I will likely play more but I feel certain individual tracks off The Greatest Generation are just perfect. I feel some songs on this album take more time to grow and even when they do they are best listened to on car rides (good and bad thing imo). Suburbia was an all around record for me but my favorites from this album will be in heavy rotation with the rest of the trilogy this summer as I got a lot of life changes ahead of me and I already can find solace in some of their work.

The Wonder Years aren't my #1 favorite band (enjoy them a lot though) but I think at this point it is fair to say they are the best modern pop punk band. Yellowcard will always be my favorite old school favorite in the genre but The Wonder Years don't condemn themselves to just singing about friends or break ups. They put a lot of meaning and tackle a lot of themes in their songs and they are praised justly for willing to do so.Very few bands can take such a static and stale genre atm and redefine it with their own experiences, values, and messages.
11:18 PM on 05/14/13
drummer13
http://chaplinband.bandcamp.com/
User Info.
Favourite band so of course I'm biased, but I'd give it a 9.9. It's not perfect, but it's damn close. Closest I've ever heard. I knew this was going to be my AOTY before I heard it, and was not disappointed.

Also, wonderful, wonderful review. The "create your own score" is a really nice touch!
11:37 PM on 05/14/13
agl
User Info.
This is a truly fantastic album. The thing that puzzles me is why some people think An American Religion is a skippable track. It's possibly my favorite song on the album (maybe a tie with The Devil in My Bloodstream). That track really speaks to me about as much as any track they've ever put out.
12:34 AM on 05/15/13
qwerty22
snackin like an asshole in the usa
User Info.
I'm going to have to get over the way Soupy says certain words in order to enjoy this album. I'm too often reminded of that "Mom is dad (dead)" guy from youtube. "Does that make you haoppy."
01:37 AM on 05/15/13
touchdownboi
Bob Calwell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I see a lot of people ragging on Madeyln, which I suppose I can understand. I feel the track gives off a very 1940s folky vibe, which kind of goes along with the albums concept and title. Just my opinion, though. I also just love the track in general. When the "I don't think there's a god" comes in. Oh man.
07:38 AM on 05/15/13
surette
kill the switch
User Info.
I love this review, and I love that you didn't give it a score. Well done.
07:49 AM on 05/15/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I see a lot of people ragging on Madeyln, which I suppose I can understand. I feel the track gives off a very 1940s folky vibe, which kind of goes along with the albums concept and title. Just my opinion, though. I also just love the track in general. When the "I don't think there's a god" comes in. Oh man.
It just feels like a bland, pop punk band does bad acoustic song to me.
08:24 AM on 05/15/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Not to be "that guy," but anyone listening to TWY before The Upsides knew they would be great (because they already were). The Upsides didn't have to prove the band wasn't a fluke, let alone Suburbia, because they never were one.
I mean, you kind of are being "that guy," because the band changed completely since then and improved to levels that you can't really predict when you're listening to songs about land pirates or whatever
08:24 AM on 05/15/13
CoopDawg
Mountaintops stained
User Info.
Finally listened to it. Meh.
09:41 AM on 05/15/13
Thursdaysox
Sleep Well
User Info.
Finally listened to it. Meh.

cosign
10:01 AM on 05/15/13
Minty Mouth
User Info.
The only think I like about this band is their lyrics. Their sense of melody just seems boring.
10:13 AM on 05/15/13
DylanPPPP
snooch to the nooch mother fucker
User Info.
Damn good album. "There, There" is easily my favorite. Kinda disappointed that they literally repeated some parts of the previous songs in the closer - it doesn't come off as creative as say Hostage Calm's "One Last Salute". Sweet, nonetheless.
What's great about it is how seamlessly the mashup at the end fits together. Melodies from one song fit perfectly with melodies from another and they all transition perfectly except the slightly jarring transition from the Raindance line into the There, There line to kick it off.
10:15 AM on 05/15/13
DylanPPPP
snooch to the nooch mother fucker
User Info.
The only problem I have with this album is that all the songs are so good that it's difficult to get a grip on the whole thing. Most albums you find your standout tracks and really dive in to those songs and you also find tracks that do nothing for you and never will so it's easy to leave those alone. On this one it's difficult to let one song be your standout when it is immediately followed by an equally great song...and that song is followed by another equally great song. That's what held me back from loving this album at first because each song was so great that it almost made me forget about the one before it save for one or two songs.

This probably makes no sense to anyone and I don't expect it to haha.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS