Password

Album Review

Eisley - Currents Album Cover

Eisley - Currents

Reviewed by
EisleyCurrents
Release Date: May 28, 2013
Record Label: Equal Vision
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Last time we checked in with Eisley, the band was exploring the deep space with its very good extended play of the same name. During the time between that and its latest Equal Vision release, Currents, a lot has happened internally and externally. Some things stayed the same (the band recorded once again in its home studio; they still have an ear for incredibly melodies and hooks), some changed, at least in each member’s personal life (there were a lot of babies in the studio; the band is facing controversy from its failed Kickstarter campaign). But forget all that for now, as the only thing that matters is if the DuPree gang would continue its trend of releasing atmospheric indie-pop gems.

Eisley returned from space with many new ideas and took that sense of exploration into the sea with its fourth full length, Currents, which contains some of the band’s enchanting compositions yet. An adventurous guitar riff, ominous keys, and spine-tingling harmonies pace the title track – a bold introduction of the LP’s twelve tracks. “Blue Fish” and “Drink The Water” are two fantastic additions to the band’s whimsical discography; each one layered with simmering strings, thick bass lines, and Stacy King’s intricate piano work. The latter is a luscious journey that, along with the title track, captures the very essence of Currents.

The pace is picked up with the dynamic “Save My Soul,” which is led by Sherri DuPree-Bemis’ fiery vocals and underscored by relentless guitar riff. It’s a ferocious, upbeat number with an incredible crescendo of harmonies in its bridge (listen closely and you’ll notice none other than Max Bemis). It’s one of Currents many highlights, along with the delightfully folky “Millstone” (Chauntelle DuPree-D’Agostino's first full-song solo lead vocal performance) and jaunty “Lost Enemies,” the latter being an example of staccato excellence.

The quintet indulges a little bit on “Wicked Child” (featuring contributions by Merriment - another Equal Vision band featuring the younger DuPree siblings, Christie and Collin), but it’s hard to hate a track with so many delightful embellishments. In fact, the second half of the album takes somewhat of a backseat to the excellent first six songs of Currents (“Find Me Here” and “Wonder English” are forgettable), but tracks like the eerily beautiful “The Night Comes” is right in the band’s wheelhouse, as DuPree-Bemis assured vocals feel at home with the creeping acoustic chords, distant handclaps, and stirring string flourishes.

Having complete freedom and reign with this record, Eisley was able to take its musical element to richer and grander heights. And with life happening all around them, that freedom was essential in creating yet another fantastic album. Just one listen to the extravagant “Shelter” - Currents’s rousing final bow – and you really start to appreciate the journey the DuPree clan has taken over the past ten-plus years, as Room Noises-era Eisley could never composed a song as complex and sophisticated without it becoming too convoluted. And despite the current outside distraction, the lush Currents will undoubtedly outlast it and wash it into the sea.

8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
06:07 AM on 05/28/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I've never been a large Eisley fan, but I enjoy this record. It's a pretty sounding album and is nice for this time of year. Not sure how much I'll spin it in the future, but it's definitely a nice release for the year.
06:16 AM on 05/28/13
ThaRealNC
User Info.
Love this album - such a shift from The Valley, which I also love, but an appropriate progression. Millstone is absolutely beautiful. Great review.
06:50 AM on 05/28/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
never had listened to these guys before but i enjoyed this quite a bit
06:51 AM on 05/28/13
cholly
User Info.
I'm glad you put all the controversy aside and just gave this a straight up review. I'm listening now, and this really is a beautiful sounding album. It's amazing how this band has progressed!
06:55 AM on 05/28/13
AndrewSoup
It's A Secret To Everyone
User Info.
This is honestly a really excellent record. I hope people don't let their hurt feelings over that dumb kickstarter stop them from enjoying this album.
07:21 AM on 05/28/13
TheZeroKid
I'm Not Holden Caulfield
User Info.
I feel like this is the album Eisley has always wanted to make. It's weird in all the right ways and excellently executed. That's 4 solid albums in a row. I love this band.
07:54 AM on 05/28/13
CPF--FBR
http://connorfeimsterphoto.com
User Info.
Did Deep Space come out after The Valley...?
08:05 AM on 05/28/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Did Deep Space come out after The Valley...?
Yeah
08:05 AM on 05/28/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Really like this record
08:12 AM on 05/28/13
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Only listened once so far but it sounds beautiful. I picked up the deluxe itunes edition with 3 acoustic versions.
09:14 AM on 05/28/13
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
Love this record.
11:36 AM on 05/28/13
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
I don't hear Max at all on Save My Soul? Am I deaf?

Anyways, I like the record but I do prefer The Valley.
11:52 AM on 05/28/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I don't hear Max at all on Save My Soul? Am I deaf?

Anyways, I like the record but I do prefer The Valley.
it's really subtle - it's during the bridge with all those layers of harmonies and voices
02:01 PM on 05/28/13
grimis16
User Info.
I like the Valley a lot, but this one has bored me. Hope I get more into it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos