11:58 AM on 06/03/13
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
This album is great I totally forgot about it
01:22 PM on 06/03/13
Hoodrow Wilson
User Info.
I found this to be a pretty bland, generic attempt at a transition from folk singer to radio rock.
02:43 PM on 06/03/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I found this to be a pretty bland, generic attempt at a transition from folk singer to radio rock.
which songs are radio rock
03:26 PM on 06/03/13
JimmyIymmiJ
Go on, give up, you'll never win...
User Info.
I like this album a lot, but its probably my third favorite from him. That's not a bad thing though considering I like all of his albums.
04:19 PM on 06/03/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
"Love is about all the changes you've make and not just three small words"

Such a badass line.

Still feel that this album drags in the middle a bit. The good bits are up there with his best songs, but there are more just average songs than I would like. Its a good album, probably top 5 so far, but I don't get the same 'something has been accomplished here' feeling I do with TGG, The Future is Canceled or TWFM.
04:57 PM on 06/03/13
Hoodrow Wilson
User Info.
which songs are radio rock
Recovery, Way I Tend To Be, Tattoos, Polaroid Picture, We Shall Not Overcome, Plain Sailing Weather, and Oh Brother to name a few.

Recovery and The Way I Tend to Be have specifically been getting play on our aggravating local bro-rock station.
05:11 PM on 06/03/13
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
Just because two of his songs so happens to be played in a bro-rock station doesn't mean it's bad.

I love this album. Broken Piano is beautiful.
06:02 PM on 06/03/13
scott!athedisco
User Info.
Perfect record. PSW and FSW are probably my top 2 Frank songs, although I seem to find one-liners I love in every single song. The two weakest are Polaroid Picture (love the verses, but the chorus kind of bores me) and Fisher King Blues (though the gang vocal outro is pretty awesome), which I would switch with We Shall Not Overcome, Tattoos, or Time Machine. I wouldn't have thought Frank could keep improving this much, but hot damn, he somehow did.
06:18 PM on 06/03/13
NickIsI
I'm Only Here to Disappoint
User Info.
Recovery, Way I Tend To Be, Tattoos, Polaroid Picture, We Shall Not Overcome, Plain Sailing Weather, and Oh Brother to name a few.

Recovery and The Way I Tend to Be have specifically been getting play on our aggravating local bro-rock station.

You sound like an idiot.
07:03 PM on 06/03/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.

not sure any mainstream rock radio station in the country would ever play tattoos
11:32 PM on 06/03/13
Hoodrow Wilson
User Info.
You sound like an idiot.
Sorry I don't consider every average album to be an "AOTY OMG Masterpiece" like some of the people who submit reviews to this website. If you want to hear unanimous praise for a band's new album, go to the artist's website, not a discussion forum.
07:36 AM on 06/04/13
dgf1811
User Info.
brilliant review, brilliant artist, brilliant album. Frank's very quickly become one of my favourite artists, and he's really starting to get the worldwide recognition he deserves
08:56 AM on 06/04/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Sorry I don't consider every average album to be an "AOTY OMG Masterpiece" like some of the people who submit reviews to this website. If you want to hear unanimous praise for a band's new album, go to the artist's website, not a discussion forum.
it's fine if you don't like it, this just isn't radio rock in any way
09:59 AM on 06/04/13
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
This is a top 5 2013 AOTY for me. It's gotten just as much play if not more than Frightened Rabbit's did in the beginning of the year. I absolutely love it and the only reason I might think EKMB still tops it is because EKMB was shorter and was solid from beginning to end, this one could be better if you cut it down to 12 songs from the 18 but I'm glad he didn't because everyone song is at least good and I'm glad to add the 18 song collection to the FT discography!
07:12 PM on 06/04/13
khare905
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Am I the only one who likes this more than England Keep My Bones?
I immediately thought that when first hearing this. England Keep My Bones was good but far more inconsistent than Tape Deck Heart.

If you've watched the mini documentary he put out about this record he mentions how he wanted to make music with full arrangements. Tape Deck Heart is him + Sleeping Souls at their best to date.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums