Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 143.
08:49 AM on 06/10/13
Eurotrash Drock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah, this album is incredible. I think it will be one of the most divisive albums in the black metal scene for years to come. Purists arguing that black metal isn't supposed to be accessible/polished. Very well-written review. Just out of curiosity, what are your other two game-changing albums you were referencing Drew?
08:52 AM on 06/10/13
henry chinaski
User Info.
The artwork is so awesome. Album rules.
08:56 AM on 06/10/13
screamoutmyname
through being cool
User Info.
i agree that this album is exceptional, but 100% implies that this album is completely flawless/the best album there is. i can't get behind that... when your job is to provide an unbiased review of an album, i think you fall a little short this time around. all that aside, it's a great fucking record.

EDIT: totally not trying to take a shot at you or anything... just don't agree with the 100%.
09:00 AM on 06/10/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
i agree that this album is exceptional, but 100% implies that this album is completely flawless/the best album there is. i can't get behind that... when your job is to provide an unbiased review of an album, i think you fall a little short this time around. all that aside, it's a great fucking record.

EDIT: totally not trying to take a shot at you or anything... just don't agree with the 100%.
no review is unbiased.
09:13 AM on 06/10/13
Nap
User Info.
Can't stand these kind of vocals.
09:18 AM on 06/10/13
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
a 10/10 across the board? come on man. you're clearly just a fan.

creativity, musicianship, lyrics, lasting value all given a 10/10? that's ridiculous. It's almost as if you believe that a band has never recorded a conversation before...wow that's just 10/10 creative right there... It's a shame that your biased love for this band stopped you from writing something true.
I disagree with your opinion, therefore I will accuse you of bias!

OMG DREW Y U GIV THIS 2% MOAR THAN KANYE U SUCH A FANBOY
09:20 AM on 06/10/13
blebbio
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
lol. you can't actually think this deserves a ten in every category. i understand the review is subjective but you are implying there is nothing that is more creative, displays more skilled musicianship, or is better produced than this which is ridiculous. this is a fairly generic nu-black metal release. everything they do here has been done before. maybe they do it better or with more consistency or it simply hits you the hardest but your scoring is just stupid.
09:25 AM on 06/10/13
Chris Collum
User Info.

Great record, and awesome review Drew. Sure we can quibble about the score, but anyone with even cursory knowledge of this genre should know this is absolutely a high-water mark. At least a 9.0+
09:28 AM on 06/10/13
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
Yeah, as someone who listens to this kind of stuff as much as "~true~" black metal, this is an excellent album. Definitely deserving of praise.
09:28 AM on 06/10/13
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
Great review.. this album is flawless.
09:30 AM on 06/10/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
lol. you can't actually think this deserves a ten in every category. i understand the review is subjective but you are implying there is nothing that is more creative, displays more skilled musicianship, or is better produced than this which is ridiculous. this is a fairly generic nu-black metal release. everything they do here has been done before. maybe they do it better or with more consistency or it simply hits you the hardest but your scoring is just stupid.
Or he just liked it that much and you're thinking too hard about that number over there. Jesus guys.
09:35 AM on 06/10/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Yeah, this album is incredible. I think it will be one of the most divisive albums in the black metal scene for years to come. Purists arguing that black metal isn't supposed to be accessible/polished. Very well-written review. Just out of curiosity, what are your other two game-changing albums you were referencing Drew?
Bon Iver, Bon Iver (the only other I've given a perfect score to) and Kanye's last album
09:43 AM on 06/10/13
ITS A TRAP!
ITS PERFECTLY SAFE!
User Info.
its the vocals...i just cant do the vocals. too bad because the musicianship sounds great!
09:47 AM on 06/10/13
The Meech
User Info.
I guess it's taken me by surprise that the site is focusing on this album when in general it never really covers many subgenres of metal besides metalcore. I'm not saying that this is bad, in fact I would really love to see the site expand its coverage to include subgenres of metal because I would really like to try to get into some of this stuff, which I generally like but have no idea where to start. Maybe hire a new staff member that specializes in metal and subgenres like black metal, death metal, melodeath etc.? I think if we expanded our metal coverage a 10/10 score to a black metal album would shock less readers on here. Just curious, Drew, what made you decide to check out this band/album? I've never thought black metal to be an interest of yours just based on years of browsing the site.

I still have to give this entire album a listen, but I found it difficult to get through the first few tracks just because I'm not a huge fan of tracks upward of 8, 9, 10 minutes. Obviously I'm going to have to try again.
09:53 AM on 06/10/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
fantastic review. this is by far the best album i've heard so far this year.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums