Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

"The Warped 30": The Bands You Gotta...

Posted by: Drew Beringer (06/13/13)
This upcoming weekend will kick off the 19th year of the Vans Warped Tour and we know you're just as excited to be attending the punk rock summer camp as we are. Of course, one of the many dilemmas of the festival is trying to figure out which bands to see once you arrive to the festival. Fear not, AP.net reader. We've been compiling our "Warped 30" list for a while now so that you can use it as a cheat sheet on which artists you absolutely must see. So check out our picks in the replies and fret no more about the 2013 Vans Warped Tour.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 82
11:01 AM on 06/13/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
in alphabetical order

NoteAllison Weiss
AP.net Profile | Facebook
Why Watch?: Allison Weiss is easily one of the most deservedly hyped upcoming acts of this past year. With the support of No Sleep Records, the perfect label for Weiss, she performed at SXSW, released her fantastic sophomore record, Say What You Mean, in April, and has been on the road since. Her blend of pop music with rock roots works wonders, and her live act is just as enjoyable due to her charismatic personality. As one of the best upcoming artists on the tour, be sure to catch Weiss. [RG]
Catch Allison Weiss on the Warped Tour from June 15th to July 10th

NoteAllstar Weekend
Why Watch?: Looking to shed their Disney pop image, the California trio has promised a new sound, a new direction and a new name. That kind of anticipation should make their Warped Tour dates well worth the half-hour. Having already proved themselves an air-tight live act and born entertainers, there's little reason to skip this. [GR]
Catch Allstar Weekend on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteThe Amity Affliction
Why Watch?: All the way from "down under", Australia's The Amity Affliction is a band that has gone under the radar for some odd reason, although they've been on tour here in America a few times before and have received a larger response each time. Arguably one of the tour's best kept secrets, expect the band to be the talk of the tour near it's end. Put another shrimp on the barbie! [JD]
Catch The Amity Affliction on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteAugust Burns Red
Why Watch?: Simply put, August Burns Red is arguably one of the reigning champions of the metalcore world. The band has put out four bone-crushing full-length albums, and are about to unleash a powerfully heavy fifth album in July, titled Rescue & Restore. Besides, we all know it's a lot of fun watching lead vocalist Jake Luhrs swing the microphone in the largest circle you've ever seen. [JD]
Catch August Burns Red on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteBeartooth
Why Watch?: Caleb Shomo had always been under a lot of scrutiny for being in the band Attack Attack! While their last album showed some growth, it was apparent that Caleb wanted to do something drastically different with his music. Fast forward to now, where Caleb is fronting his new band, Beartooth. Leaving the crabcore ways of his past and heading towards the direction of Every Time I Die. It seems he's got a lot to say and prove with his new band and this year's Warped Tour is where he's going to do a lot of that. [KI]
Catch Beartooth on the Warped Tour on June 23rd

NoteBilly Talent
Why Watch?: Billy Talent are one of the older bands on Warped this year, but that doesn't mean that their set is going to be boring. After watching them play in March I can say they still put on an energetic show and chances are the Warped set will be even more intimate, mostly because they've never gained much of a following south of the border. Make sure you catch them this summer because there's no guarantee the band's going to be back in the States anytime soon. [DR]
Catch Billy Talent on the Warped Tour from July 19th to August 4th

NoteBring Me The Horizon
Why Watch?: It's been a minute since this British metalcore quintet has stepped foot in America. After endlessing touring on its 2010 critical darling, There Is A Hell, Believe I've Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret, the members of Bring Me The Horizon deserved some me-time and took a year off from touring, recharging the batteries and writing what would become Sempiternal, its latest smashing success. So you best believe BMTH is gonna unleash a furious set every day this summer upon its return to American soil - expect classics like "Crucify Me" and "Diamonds Aren't Forever," as well as new jams "Shadow Moses" and "Sleepwalking." [DB]
Catch Bring Me The Horizon on the Warped Tour from June 19th to August 4th

NoteChiodos
Why Watch?: Fans have been clamoring for new material from Chiodos since they announced the triumphant return of frontman Craig Owens last April. Although it would have been great if they came back with a new album, they band is playing it smart by taking their time to craft the best album possible. In the mean time, you can see them destroying Warped Tour's main stage all summer long - and even hear a new song in the process. Owens' return seems to have reinvigorated the band, who have never sounded better live, and fans alike. As if that wasn't reason enough, you also get to see former The Fall of Troy guitarist Thomas Erak shred. Be sure to catch Owens' intimate solo performance each day at the Acoustic Basement as well. [AD]
Catch Chiodos on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteCitizen
Why Watch?: Yo, how about some fresh blood on the Vans Warped Tour? Run For Cover's Citizen is one of the 2013's breakthrough bands and destined to be one of the must-see acts on this year's stint. The band's debut, Youth, is an absolute scorcher of a punk album - made for those fans who love Brand New but wish they had bit more Title Fight crust to 'em. Be one of the attendees able to say, "I remember when...," because it's only a matter of time before Citizen is headlining this tour. [DB]
Catch Citizen on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteDefeater
Why Watch?: Defeater released one of the best hardcore albums of 2011 and are releasing their follow up later this year, so it'd be ridiculous to not include them on this list. Hailing from MA, Defeater are going to take the Warped scene by storm with one of the most aggressive, in your face sets you'll see all year. [KI]
Catch Defeater on the Warped Tour from July 11th to August 4th

NoteDriver Friendly
Why Watch?: Driver Friendly has always been an underdog hero with us at AP.net. While their first album went criminally underrated, the band's back with new music and a new label that's pushing them more than ever. I expect Driver Friendly to be one of the few bands that catches a lot of people by surprise this year. [KI]
Catch Driver Friendly on the Warped Tour from July 5th to July 21st

NoteGin Wigmore
Why Watch?: The New Zealand chanteuse is already a tremendous hit in her native NZ and in the UK, so it seems only natural that she'll take to North America like a duck to water. Though her sound veers away from the traditional Warped Tour mainstays, her skill is both limitless and transcendent. A few years ago Katy Perry used the Warped Tour stage as a springboard to titanic Billboard sales. Wigmore may be eyeing that same path. Everyone knows it's fun to say "I saw her when…" Here's your chance. [GR]
Catch Gin Wigmore on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteHawthorne Heights
Why Watch?: Hawthorne Heights on Warped Tour is a straight blast from the past. Here's a band that helped define the scene back in 2004 with their breakout debut record, The Silence in Black and White, an album that remains a scene stable today. The band will surely be a top slot to watch throughout the summer, as the release of their upcoming record, Zero, will bring old and new fans all to the same stage. [RG]
Catch Hawthorne Heights on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteI Can Make a Mess
Why watch? Ace Enders needs no introduction. As the vaulted leader of New Jersey's The Early November, he's crafted a formidable and friendly side project that relishes in its understated simplicity and its homespun handsomeness. The Warped stint is a chance to pluck from his vast discography and also sample some newer tunes (Enola dropped last week) and maybe a choice cover. [GR]
Catch I Can Make A Mess on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteJuliet Simms
Why watch? Already a household name after being runner-up in The Voice Season Two, Simms has not forgotten her roots as frontwoman for Automatic Loveletter. Her talent as a performer and entertainer came to light on The Voice many years after this very website labeled her a breakout star. If anything, her stint on Warped Tour allows us wise guys (and gals) a chance to gloat. [GR]
Catch Juliet Simms on the Warped Tour from July 7th to July 14th

Noteletlive.
Why Watch?: This band is the personification of fireworks going off in all directions, because that's certainly what you're going to see when you show up to the Monster Energy stage to watch this band. Vocalist Jason Aalon Butler has the energy of 3 men, and he's going to prove it to you over and over and over again. Also, talented Of Mice & Men drum tech Loniel Robinson joins the party, filling in on drums. If you like run, hop, skip, kick, hoot or holler, this band is definitely the band for you. If you aren't absolutely compelled to circle pit during "Renegade 86'", you may need to re-evaluate your priorities. [JD]
Catch letlive. on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteLike Moths To Flames
Why Watch?: Has this band been written off by many as "generic Rise-core"? Absolutely. If those same fans took the time to watch Like Moths To Flames stomp a hole in the Monster Energy stage, would some of those turn into new fans? Absolutely. If the tracks "Shapeshifter" and "Learn Your Place" are any indication, the band has grown in the last two years and are finding their identity as a band. [JD]
Catch Like Moths To Flames on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteMixtapes
Why Watch?: A band like Mixtapes was just made for the Warped Tour. They play fun, fast pop-punk in the vein of The Descendants and the like while not taking themselves too seriously - thus the perfect mixture for Warped Tour fun. You better believe the Ohio quartet's 30-minute set will blast all summer long, especially since they are loaded with a bunch of great new songs to play. [DB]
Catch Mixtapes on the Warped Tour from July 23rd to August 4th

NoteMotion City Soundtrack
Why watch? How much longer will MCS keep at it? Your guess is as good as ours. Now seven albums into a career that happened by accident, they remain a first-rate live act that consistently elevate Warped Tour to a whole new level. Enjoy them now, who knows how long these Midwesterners will stick with it. [GR]
Catch Motion City Soundtrack on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteRDGLDGRN
Why Watch?: RDGLDGRN (that's Red Gold Green when spoken aloud) have already earned stamps of approval from Dave Grohl and Pharrell Williams - Grohl even played drums on their recent debut EP! - so nothing written here is going to come close to that endorsement. Grohl is unable to perform with the band on tour, but even without his involvement, their tight show is deserving of attention. The group's intriguing mix of indie rock, hip hop and funk is like a cross between Bloc Party and Gym Class Heroes. Head over to the #Domo Stage and give it a shot. [AD]
Catch RDGLDGRN on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteReal Friends
Why Watch?: Some claim they're the next big thing in pop punk while others write them off as a hype band, but there's no denying the impressive following that Real Friends have built over the last couple of years - all without a label or a full-length album. Catch them this year on a smaller stage while you still can, because I wouldn't be surprised to see them follow in The Wonder Years' footsteps and jump to the main stage in a few years. You'll find them singing songs about sleepy eyes and bony knees on the Kevin Says Stage. [AD]
Catch Real Friends on the Warped Tour from June 15th to July 3rd

NoteRelient K
Why Watch?: A band that seems to never press pause, Relient K are gearing up to release their highly anticipated record Collapsible Lung yet seem to never stop touring. A true favorite in the heart of both pop and pop-punk fans, Relient K are bound to draw a massive crowd, as the nostalgia of their seemingly endless list of hit songs are bound to make all Warped goers stop and sing along. With their unmatchable live performance and upcoming pop-oriented record, who wouldn't want to see these guys in the hot summer sun. [RG]
Catch Relient K on the Warped Tour on July 3rd, July 14th, July 18th, and July 24th

NoteStick To Your Guns
Why Watch?: On this tour, there are plenty of bands that have nothing valuable to offer fans (looking at you, Black Veil Brides...); luckily, Stick To Your Guns is not one of those bands. Honest lyricism, no gimmicks, no bullshit. If you find yourself at the #Domo Stage to check out bands like Tonight Alive or Hands Like Houses, you're most likely going to find yourself glued to the stage for another half hour while Stick To Your Guns hits you with some heavy tunes. [JD]
Catch Stick To Your Guns on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteStory Of The Year
Why Watch?: Who would have thought Story Of The Year would come back, gear up for a Page Avenue 10-year tour, and then hop on board for Warped Tour, a festival that defined their legacy back in the day. In a year of expected and unexpected reunions, Story Of The Year are at the top of that list and fans will jump at any chance to see the St. Louis natives back in action. With an acoustic rendition of the classic Page Avenue in the works, a new album, and the 10 year tour, Story Of The Year will have all ears listening to them on Warped. Not to mention many fans that never got to see the guys live will now have their chance. [RG]
Catch Story Of The Year on the Warped Tour from July 9th to July 23rd

NoteThe Story So Far
Why Watch?: It's become apparent that The Story So Far have become the kings of the new wave of pop-punk bands, taking the scene by storm. They released their second full-length, What You Don't See back in March and the guys have been on an unstoppable tear. They may not be playing the main stage this year, but I'd be surprised if that didn't change real soon. [KI]
Catch The Story So Far on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteThe Swellers
Why Watch?: Not only do The Swellers have the best shirt available on the Warped Tour, they're also most re-energized band to hit the tour. Freshly signed to No Sleep Records and loaded with some of the best stuff they've ever written, You absolutely must put The Swellers at the top of your "must-see" list upon arrival to the venue. The band is bound to have an awesome fall with its new album, but they're determined to precede it with a monster summer. [DB]
Catch The Swellers on the Warped Tour from June 15th to July 12th

NoteThe Tower and the Fool
Why watch? When done well, roots-rock has endless appeal and Providence's The Tower and the Fool seemed to understand that. Anchored in humility, intricacy and a sense of restraint that is sorely missing from contemporary music, The Tower and The Fool are a band more than worth the allotted 30 minutes. [GR]
Catch The Tower and The Fool on the Warped Tour from July 11th to July 14th

NoteWe Came As Romans
Why Watch?: We Came As Romans are firing on all cylinders right now, as they're about to release their highly anticipated third album, Tracing Back Roots. Not only do you have one of the best one-two punches in the scene found in vocalists David Stephens and Kyle Pavone, but instrumentalists Andy Glass, Eric Choi, Brian Cotton, and Joshua Moore are simply too much fun to watch. If you're looking for a band that has paid their dues over the last few years, We Came As Romans are certainly a great example. [JD]
Catch We Came As Romans on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteWilliam Beckett
Why watch? Beckett's solo career has been both interesting and eye-opening. A gifted performer with an inherent knack for pop songwriting, Beckett is equal parts unpredictable, uncompromising and unapologetic. Those three traits alone are reason enough to amble over and catch this set. [GR]
Catch William Beckett on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

NoteThe Wonder Years
Why Watch?: When you're 40, sitting on your porch, and reflecting about all the fun times you had at the Warped Tour, you're more than likely going to think of the time you saw The Wonder Years on mainstage and lost your voice shouting along. With the recent release of the highly exciting fourth full-length album The Greatest Generation, the band continues to remain a heavyweight contender of the pop-punk scene. Much like how Anderson "The Spider" Silva never loses in the UFC, neither does The Wonder Years, and neither will YOU when you show up to the Kia Forte stage. [JD]
Catch The Wonder Years on the Warped Tour from June 15th to August 4th

ContributorsDrew Beringer [DB]
Jake Denning [JD]
Alex DiVincenzo [AD]
Ryan Gardner [RG]
Keagan Ilvonen [KI]
Deborah Remus [DR]
Gregory Robson [GR]
11:06 AM on 06/13/13
JTHomeslice
Your girl's favorite pizza boy
User Info.
Crossfaith should be on here.
11:10 AM on 06/13/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
at first I was mad because of the lack of TEN but then I saw ICMAM so we're cool
11:11 AM on 06/13/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Heh, I like this layout.
11:16 AM on 06/13/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Boom.
11:19 AM on 06/13/13
mattregan
www.twitter.com/vipregan
User Info.
zzzz.
11:20 AM on 06/13/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Eclectic list.
Ps, I think this is the 19th year.
11:21 AM on 06/13/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
Zack & I will be in Seattle/Portland, so feel free to throw water balloons at us.
11:22 AM on 06/13/13
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
Unless I'm missing something, how does MCS have seven albums?
11:23 AM on 06/13/13
ALT/MSC/FAN
Everything's Coming Up Milhouse
User Info.
No Chariot's kind of a surprise, but other than that, a solid list. I'm really excited to see Gin Wigmore begin to explode after this tour.
11:37 AM on 06/13/13
Max_123
@HeyMaxSup
User Info.
Here's my list for the Denver date. Some of these are just bands I wouldn't mind seeing, but I'm not going to go out of my way

The Story So Far
Being Me The Horizon
Man Overboard
letlive.
The Wonder Years
Go Radio
Forever Came Calling
Citizen
I Can Make A Mess
The American Scene
Silverstein
The Early November
Motion City Soundtrack
Handguns
August Burns Red
We Came As Romans
The Chariot
Real Friends
The Swellers
Forever The Sickest Kids
Blessthefall
Memphis May Fire
Allison Weiss
Action Item
For The Foxes
11:39 AM on 06/13/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
No Chariot's kind of a surprise, but other than that, a solid list. I'm really excited to see Gin Wigmore begin to explode after this tour.
Had I realized Beartooth was only playing one date, I would have included The Chariot in their place.
11:40 AM on 06/13/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Unless I'm missing something, how does MCS have seven albums?
Working on number six.
11:42 AM on 06/13/13
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
I figured that may have been what was meant, but it seemed like weird wording to me. Regardless, stoked to see them this summer.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests