AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Countdown: Top 5 Most Anticipated July Releases

Posted by - 07:11 AM on 06/24/13
It's hard to believe that we are half way through 2013. Six months in the books and yet there is still no instance of this year slowly down with quality releases week after week. I'm unveiling my five most anticipated July releases a week early since next Monday we'll be highlighting the staff's mid-year Top 10 lists. This month's list was a little easier to put together than last months insane smorgasbord of amazing LPs, but that doesn't mean there's a shortage of great stuff releasing in July. Check out my list in the replies and feel free to discuss the albums you're anticipating next month.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
07:11 AM on 06/24/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
5) Jay-Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail (July 4)
NoteIt's no secret that I (amongst many others) was fairly disappointed in Hova's last release, 2009's The Blueprint 3. Despite including some of the man's best cuts ("Run This Town" and "Empire State of Mind"), the release as a whole was completely underwhelming. If anything, it felt like the mogul was just on cruise control to his next payday. And even though he's already cashed in with Samsung on his upcoming release, something within has me convinced that Jay is really gonna bring it on Magna Carta Holy Grail. Working with some of the world's best producers (and Swizz Beatz), MCHG seems like an opportunity for Jay-Z to grab the spotlight away from his friend, Kanye West (even if it's only temporary).

4) A Great Big Pile Of Leaves - You're Always On My Mind (July 2)
NoteTopshelf Records has another winner on its hands, as A Great Big Pile of Leaves is set to release its new full length next Tuesday. It's definitely one of the finest indie-pop releases of the year - its melodies infectious and hooks memorable. This LP will always be on your mind as soon as you let it hook itself into your membrane.

3) Drug Church - Paul Walker (July 23)
NoteDespite the tendency to get weird (and they get weird a lot - a major reason why I love them), Drug Church definitely brings the pit hits on its No Sleep debut full length, Paul Walker, named after the 2 Fast 2 Furious superstar of course. And while the titles are goofy ("Shopping For A Belt" and "Learning To Speak British," for example), the music and lyrics are anything but. Songs like "Deconstructing Snapcase" and "Donny's Woods" are some of the biggest-hitting hardcore songs of 2013. Don't miss out on this hottie with a body.

2) Owen - L'Ami Du Peuple (July 2)
NoteWith his seventh studio album, L'Ami Du Peuple, Mike Kinsella proves that he still has it. While New Leaves and Ghost Town aren't bad by any stretch of imagination, L'Ami is by far Kinsella's strongest output since 2006's beloved At Home With Owen. Songs like "Coffin Companions" and "Bad Blood" are quite the pleasure, as they show that when Kinsella's on his game, there are few whom are better.

1) Defeater - Letters Home (July 16)
NoteThis may be hard to believe, but Defeater's third album, Letters Home, is the hardcore quintet's heaviest and most devastating release yet. My mouth was agape for the duration of my first listen as songs like "No Saviour" and "Blood In My Eyes" really leave you shaken. Continuing the concept from the first two albums, Letters Home is from the perspective of the father of two brothers that listeners were introduced to in those prior releases. The listener discovers more background and relive some of the events through his eyes. Letters Home is undoubtedly one of the most brutal, honest, and compelling releases of 2013.
07:38 AM on 06/24/13
Junction183
User Info.
Good to see Owen on that list. Also very excited for the release of The Reign of Kindo's new album.
07:46 AM on 06/24/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
Relient K would have been number one here for me but we all know how that ended up. So disappointing. Still a decently fun pop album I guess but....yeah. Not so great beyond that.

Also - isn't this A Great Big Pile of Leaves second album?
07:52 AM on 06/24/13
Jerold Sunga
User Info.
Wow. It is hard to believe we're in the middle of 2013. My most anticipated would be Fuck Buttons.
07:53 AM on 06/24/13
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Night Verses and Letlive are going to crush just about everything else this month and July, and The Dangerous Summer will crush everything in August and possibly all year
08:11 AM on 06/24/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Relient K would have been number one here for me but we all know how that ended up. So disappointing. Still a decently fun pop album I guess but....yeah. Not so great beyond that.

Also - isn't this A Great Big Pile of Leaves second album?
Maybe - I just assumed they released a bunch of EPs
08:17 AM on 06/24/13
im_FINK
Registered Member
User Info.
Such a let down that I read on Save the Day's wikipedia page a few weeks ago that their record would release on 7/4 and now I'm reading this list and thinking that was probably untrue.
08:57 AM on 06/24/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
The Owen record is great
08:57 AM on 06/24/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Such a let down that I read on Save the Day's wikipedia page a few weeks ago that their record would release on 7/4 and now I'm reading this list and thinking that was probably untrue.
That's not coming out until August or September. What a tease haha
08:58 AM on 06/24/13
HanLuk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Owen, Drug Church, and of course Defeater really make this an exciting month
09:06 AM on 06/24/13
syntax omitted
User Info.
Maybe - I just assumed they released a bunch of EPs
Have You Seen My Prefrontal Cortex? is their first album, and if you haven't listened, do it. It's fantastic.
09:07 AM on 06/24/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I'm mostly excited for the new Living With Lions 7" and the new letlive. record.
09:34 AM on 06/24/13
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
letlive.
A Great Big Pile of Leaves
Sed Non Satiata
Hebronix
Owen
09:36 AM on 06/24/13
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
I can't wait for Defeater... Letlive too although people seem to be disappointed by it

Also I'm excited to check out AGBPOL

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version