AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Never Shout Never - 06.24.13

Interviewed by: Jake Denning (06/24/13)
Simply put, I really wanted to chat with Christofer Drew and the rest of the band because although I've heard many conflicting stories of how they are in person, and I wanted to sit down and see for myself at this summer's Warped Tour in Portland. And you know, Christofer and Taylor were nothing but respectful and kind to me, and they were a pleasure to have around. Later on that day, I checked out the band's set on the Kia Soul Mainstage, and it was fun to watch - sure not every song was up my alley, but at least I kept an open mind and had a good time.

First off, what are your thoughts on being back on Warped Tour, especially mainstage?

Christofer Drew: It's definitely exciting, because it's a good way to connect with a bunch of kids that normally wouldn't come out to our shows, and I love that. Also the social aspect and hanging out with bands, because we're not very social in the scene, but this is a good chance for us to breakout and get to know people that are doing it.

Who'd you hang out with yesterday?

Christofer Drew: We hung out with our boys in Man Overboard...

Taylor MacFee: The Story So Far, hung out with those dudes a little bit. The Chariot dudes too.

Christofer Drew: I think so far it's been people that we already know, but as the tour goes on I think we'll meet new people and hang out with them.

What is your favorite song to play live right now?

Christofer Drew: Honestly right now, my personal favorite is "Piggybank" - we open with it, and I love it because I get to play some lead guitar and jam out, and we do a sick jam near the end and we re-write the bridge and do a sick guitar solo...it almost has a Black Keys vibe to it.

Taylor MacFee: Yeah, kind of a "funk-soul" vibe...that's probably my favorite as well.

Your new album Sunflower drops July 2nd. What makes this album stand out compared to your past records?

Christofer Drew: Well it's definitely more raw, it sounds super "live", which I really enjoy about the record. Our past two records Time Travel and Indigo weren't necessarily our fans favorites they were really produced. When we went in to record those past two records, we had this mindset of "We want to make the most slick sounding, hugest stuff", and this new record we said "We're just going to make a live sound". That was definitely a new sound for us, we kept it super raw and some of it's off pitch, but that's what makes it golden.

Was there a song that was particularly difficult for you to write lyrically?

Christofer Drew: No, not really, but if anything there's a song called "Time Traveler Blues" where I talk about looking back and realizing how I wasted a lot of time on non-reality.

Would you say that's one of your main messages in your music? To help fans keep moving forward and achieving things they want to do?

Christofer Drew: Yeah, my biggest thing is telling these kids to follow their dreams, because anything is possible, and the first thing is believing and loving yourself. That's our biggest message - whatever you want to do, you can do it, you just have to believe in yourself and you have to have patience and persistence.

You're always cranking out new music, seemingly one thing after another. After this record comes out, will you be taking more time between releasing new material, or will you keep this pace up?

Christofer Drew: Well, i've wanted to put out a solo record for awhile, so I'm going to get around to that, and it's going to be smooth jazz, a little bit of reggae...just super refined, above any genre. And we're also going to be working on a new Never Shout record as well, still trying to figure out who we want to do it with, and we're rebranding Eatmewhileimhot to "Eatmewhileimraw" and we got sortof a hardcore punk album with some metal riffing in it.

Do you have a favorite hardcore band?

Christofer Drew: When it comes to heavy music I don't listen to much...I like Rage Against The Machine a lot, you can definitely hear some Rage influence lyrically and riffing on our new record...

Then you definitely want to see letlive. on this tour then. They are one of the bands to see for sure. Yesterday, their vocalist Jason snapped his mic stand in half, and then took apart his microphone and chucked it out of the venue.

Christofer Drew: Damn, what a badass! I can't wait to check that out!

In 10 years, what do you hope people will say about you and your music?

Christofer Drew: Hopefully people will still be critiquing our new record, because our game plan is to keep making music until we die.

Is there something you'd like to do outside of music that you haven't been able to yet?

Christofer Drew: I'd like to open a restaurant at some point. I'm a vegan, so I love my wegan food.

So you must be really stoked to be in Portland then, since Voodoo Doughnuts is here. Everyone loves those doughnuts.

Christofer Drew: I've really been just eating one meal from catering, other than that I've just been eating cheerios and almond milk...

You do know that Voodoo has vegan doughnuts, right?

Christofer Drew: Is it??? Say whaaaaaat? Man, I am in trouble.

Fall tour plans?

Christofer Drew: You know, I think we're going to be taking it pretty easy in the fall, mainly just fly-dates. We're just recording, and I think I'm going to get a place in Los Angeles too, in addition to my home in Missouri.

Lastly, what does it mean to you that you're an influence to a lot of people out there?

Christofer Drew: Well, it's definitely a responsibility, and in the past I haven't taken up that responsibility or realized what it entails. But nowadays, I've finally cleaned up my act and have definitely taken this to heart and really letting there be a purpose behind what we're doing, as opposed to us doing it just to do it.

Taylor MacFee: It's not a burden, but it weigh on you sometimes.

It's the idea that it's okay to make mistakes, but you have to learn from them.

Christofer Drew: Exactly. And you know, I feel like that's what we're all about. We all have rough times, we all have ups and downs, life's a roller-coaster, but it's all about unconditional love throughout it all.

Anything else you'd like to add?

Taylor MacFee: Thanks for listening to the songs, if you are!

Christofer Drew: If you're reading this, thank you, can't wait to meet you. Thanks to Absolutepunk, you guys are the bomb.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12.
08:22 AM on 06/24/13
xBranx
Brandon Pagano / Handguns
User Info.
Met him briefly last night. Seemed like a really nice guy.
10:04 AM on 06/24/13
EmoPunkKid28
User Info.
Saw this band while waiting for Something Corporate at bamboozle 2010. He told the crowd to (and I'm paraphrasing since it's been three years) never trust their teachers and to drop out of school.

Very classy.
10:19 AM on 06/24/13
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
Saw this band while waiting for Something Corporate at bamboozle 2010. He told the crowd to (and I'm paraphrasing since it's been three years) never trust their teachers and to drop out of school.

Very classy.
Probably what he meant by "But nowadays, I've finally cleaned up my act"
10:28 AM on 06/24/13
EmoPunkKid28
User Info.
Probably what he meant by "But nowadays, I've finally cleaned up my act"
I hope so. I won't be seeing them again, the music wasn't for me and that stuff just rubbed me the wrong way. But like you said, hopefully that's what he meant in that quote.
10:34 AM on 06/24/13
Rosenbcm
User Info.
Chris is such an egotistical piece of crap. "I've finally cleaned up my act"? I believe that about as much as when Jonny Craig said it after detox. Never liked Christopher Drew and I don't think I ever will. That Bryan Stars interview proved how much he and the other two dudes suck as people.
10:42 AM on 06/24/13
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
Chris is such an egotistical piece of crap. "I've finally cleaned up my act"? I believe that about as much as when Jonny Craig said it after detox. Never liked Christopher Drew and I don't think I ever will. That Bryan Stars interview proved how much he and the other two dudes suck as people.
Bryan is to blame for that mishap. That is what happens when you take forever to set up your equipment and then proceed to ask completely asinine questions. The band wants to be taken seriously. If he wasn't being paid through ads, he never would've included himself crying, etc.
11:51 AM on 06/24/13
Rosenbcm
User Info.
I will admit that the whole crying thing was ridiculous and made viewers want to be more sympathetic towards him but the band had already done an interview with him before. They knew what the interview would be like. They could have respectfully turned it down. Both sides are at faults but I still have absolutely no respect for Chris.
03:32 PM on 06/24/13
.dot
behance.net/jordanhaenlein
User Info.
That guy had it coming. He is so terrible at his job.
02:14 AM on 06/25/13
Fringe
facebook.com/HigherAndHigherMusic
User Info.
I have no idea what to think of this band.
03:33 PM on 06/25/13
Markerswag
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
well i got over them both, chris has apoligized (numerously) and is ALOT better.. and Brian just feels awkward about it all, many people in his interviews after, comment on it and it's palpable that Brian doesn't want to get into it anymore.
10:15 AM on 06/26/13
Mazysica
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The affect gabinet stomatologiczny szczecin comes after brand-new gabinet stomatologiczny szczecin reports claimed that US authorities gabinet stomatologiczny szczecin had counsel
access to the servers of nine protetyka szczecin major US tech firms, including stomatologia szczecin Google and stomatolodzy szczecin Apple.
The disquiet implanty szczecin comes after current protetyka szczecin reports claimed that US authorities gabinet stomatologiczny szczecin had point the way
access to the servers of nine implanty szczecin major US tech firms, including stomatolog szczecin Google and stomatologia szczecin Apple.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS