AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Sleeping With Sirens - 06.24.13

Interviewed by
Sleeping With Sirens - 06.24.13This is a short interview I had done with Sleeping With Sirens guitarist Jesse Lawson in Seattle at this summer's Vans Warped Tour. Later on that night, the band pulled an overwhelmingly large crowd - in fact, it was the largest crowd of the day.

First off, what influenced your decision to return to the Warped Tour mainstage, instead of headlining your own tour?

Jesse Lawson: We got the offer, and we had a lot of fun last year, so we thought it would be great to come back and do it all over again.

Your new album Feel sold 59,000 copies in the first week alone. What were your thoughts when you first got the numbers back?

Jesse Lawson: We were blown away, we were definitely very blessed to have so many people support us, and it was awesome.

The track "Alone" features rapper Machine Gun Kelly who was on last year's Warped Tour as well. Who else are you looking to build a relationship with on this year's tour?

Jesse Lawson: I really like the new Bring Me The Horizon record, I think it's real good. We met them at Soundwave, and that was cool, but we didn't have a lot of time. Last night we were hanging out with the letlive. guys, and that was really awesome, they're great dudes.

Would you consider doing a short EP with Machine Gun Kelly? I remember Yelawolf doing an EP with Ed Sheeran and it turning out well.

Jesse Lawson: I mean, it would definitely be cool, but I don't know if it'll ever happen though because we have a lot of stuff we want to still do, like another acoustic record and all that. But it would be cool, he's a good dude.

If Machine Gun Kelly wasn't around for "Alone", was there someone else that you had in mind? Or would you have scrapped the track altogether or just re-wrote it?

Jesse Lawson: We really didn't have anyone else in mind, but we wouldn't scrap it, we probably would've put some other part in there. But yeah, it would be tight if we got someone like Lil Wayne on there.

It's funny, because G-Eazy also was on last year's tour, and now he's opening for Lil Wayne's "America's Most Wanted" summer tour. So who knows, anything's possible.

I think "Satellites" is one of the tracks that gets overlooked when people talk about the record, but I think it's one of the songs that would immediately explode on rock radio. Can you give me a background on that song both musically and lyrically?

Jesse Lawson: We had 10 days to write the record, so we just pumped out a bunch of songs and that one happened to work out, so we put it on the record.

What are your plans in the fall? Another headliner in the U.S.?

Jesse Lawson: We're doing a run in the U.K., and then we have a headliner in the States, and then we're taking some time off for Christmas.

Any hints you can give as to who's joining you on the U.S. headliner?

One of those bands starts with an "M", and one of the bands starts with an "I".

What does it mean to you that your band is an example and an influence to so many people?

Jesse Lawson: It's a weird thing, it's crazy, because when I was growing up there was a lot of bands that were my favorite band, and now we're some kids favorite band, and I guess we're just lucky to be in that position.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
05:33 AM on 06/24/13
chinesefood
User Info.
Memphis May Fire and Issues
05:50 AM on 06/24/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
Memphis May Fire and Issues
That's a really good (and probably accurate) guess, but who knows.
08:28 AM on 06/24/13
WasteSomeTime
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
First that came to mind was Memphis May FIre and I See Stars
08:57 AM on 06/24/13
Peerless
User Info.
I think "Satellites" is one of the tracks that gets overlooked when people talk about the record, but I think it's one of the songs that would immediately explode on rock radio. Can you give me a background on that song both musically and lyrically?

Jesse Lawson: We had 10 days to write the record, so we just pumped out a bunch of songs and that one happened to work out, so we put it on the record.

-----

Way to go into detail there young buck.
10:10 AM on 06/24/13
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

-----

I was thinking the same...
10:22 AM on 06/24/13
xerickx24
Shots Fired
User Info.
I would love it if it was I the Mighty
10:24 AM on 06/24/13
FTank
Blank
User Info.

-----

I laughed
01:01 PM on 06/24/13
fothermucker
Show's over, mother fuckers.
User Info.
It's no doubt going to be Memphis May Fire, but I really hope it's Issues and not I See Stars. Although I The Mighty would also be awesome.
01:45 PM on 06/24/13
parkerxcore
parker_anderson
User Info.

-----

Bummer to see they only had 10 days to write an entire album. I'm personally not a fan of this record at all. I'm curious if they had more time to write if it would be better.
03:10 PM on 06/24/13
promisemedan
User Info.
Only ten days to write an album? Shit.
03:48 PM on 06/24/13
ThereWeWere
User Info.
If they had only 10 days no wonder the lyrics aren't that good.
05:42 PM on 06/24/13
pepster50
User Info.
wtf 10 days to write? They didn't write anything since the last record until 10 days before going in the studio. Retarded. No wonder this album blows complete donkey chunks.
05:52 PM on 06/24/13
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Exciting that they're gonna be working on another acoustic album soon. Feel has some good songs with potential, but also some low points.
06:00 PM on 06/24/13
dohare
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I understand they may be contractually obligated to put something out, but I can't imagine you take your craft seriously if you're crunching an album into 10 days.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos