Password

Album Review

August Burns Red - Rescue & Restore Album Cover

August Burns Red - Rescue & Restore

Reviewed by
August Burns RedRescue & Restore
Release Date: June 25, 2013
Record Label: Solid State
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Like it or not, August Burns Red has a perfect record when it comes to releasing solid metalcore albums, there's no denying that. Since Thrill Seeker, the band have consistently raised the bar with hope filled, encouraging lyrics and technical musicianship. Heck, they've even put out a memorable Christmas album. Rescue & Restore is without a doubt the band's finest offering to date, and will be the album fans will be constantly referring to many years down the road.

August Burns Red have always found new ways on each record to convey messages of hope, and this album is no exception. An immediate favorite is "Fault Line", in which the characteristics of our darkest moments are revealed - "We all hurt, we all need, we all cry, we all bleed". Vocalist Jake Luhrs soon after growls "Together we'll get through this. Stand here with me, and we'll wash it all away". The dynamics of the song are controlled with absolute precision, as one minute you're experiencing the chills as you're slowly approaching the edge of a cliff, and without question you're violently thrown off and bludgeoned by a breakdown in which Luhrs warns "But don't call me a hero!"

Although there's a few songs about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel (such as "Spirit Breaker"), there's songs that are all about battling in the midst of sorrow - "Beauty In Tragedy" is a perfect example, and is a particularly difficult song to listen to if you've ever lost someone close to you. Luhrs explained to me that the song is about remembering someone and to "...take their wisdom and knowledge and to share it with everyone else; carrying that person's name within you as you'd carry someone's legacy". The most gripping part of the entire album may be when Luhrs proudly cries out "And the nights...may be a little bit darker, but I'll be sure to carry a torch to warm the hearts that never got to feel yours. I can't hear your voice...but that's ok, because I can feel you in my heart". If this song doesn't push you to the point of tears, I don't know what will; this is true and honest lyricism, and is what the genre should be all about, not who you're going to "call out".

The band is well known for pushing the envelop and striving for original sounding yet memorable songs, like "Internal Cannon" off Leveler, and "Meridian" off Constellations. "Creative Captivity" is the next member of that family, as it includes a vast array of instruments, including a marimba, Chinese harp, trumpet, and much more. This song is mainly an instrumental, allowing the band to showcase their well developed skills, but Luhrs appears near the end of the song to proclaim "We will rescue & restore!", which is where the album derives it's title. In our interview, Luhrs explains that the song was written "...to encourage the young guns coming up to step outside the box and to be artists and to create something that is theirs and has it's own identity, it's own color". It's songs like these that put August Burns Red at the top of the genre, and allows them to drive others to creative brilliance of their own.

I have such a hard time with not wanting to move around and sing along with this record, it's that compelling of an album. I'm drumming along with my fingers to Matt Greiner's complex and rich drum patterns; I'm headbanging and playing air guitar alongside J.B., Brent, and Dustin; and you'd better believe I'm doing my best to shout along with Jake Luhrs the best I can, to the chagrin of my peers. I'm more than thrilled that each member is prominently put on display and has their chance to shine; August Burns Red is a well oiled and powerful machine, but without one of the members, the whole machine falls apart. It is more than apparent that each member in this band feeds off each others energy, and that allows them to soar to heights of which many bands will never experience.

Simply put, if you consider yourself a fan of heavy music, Rescue & Restore is going to be an automatic staple in your record collection for many years to come. This album is a major contender for record of the year in many people's eyes, including my own. You'll be crawling and climbing on top of each other at live shows this fall as you strive to grab the mic and sing along, I promise.

Verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 75
12:20 AM on 06/25/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
The score is completely irrelevant. What matters the most is that 1) I highly recommend this album, and 2) You take the time to check it out.
12:42 AM on 06/25/13
thedairyfairy
User Info.
boy you sure do like giving out 100s
12:44 AM on 06/25/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
boy you sure do like giving out 100s
Score doesn't matter really, no album can be a 100% in my eyes. I think you're confusing me for Jenkins, who gave the Kanye album a legitimate 100. The score that should be noted is "Highly Recommended".

Thanks for checking the review out, appreciate it.
12:49 AM on 06/25/13
thedairyfairy
User Info.
Score doesn't matter really, no album can be a 100% in my eyes. I think you're confusing me for Jenkins, who gave the Kanye album a legitimate 100. The score that should be noted is "Highly Recommended".

I'm an idiot
12:54 AM on 06/25/13
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.

I think it'd make more sense to leave all the ratings "blank" so it's the usual 3% or whatever instead of just making everything a 10 lol
12:54 AM on 06/25/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
I think it'd make more sense to leave all the ratings "blank" so it's the usual 3% or whatever instead of just making everything a 10 lol
If it's a 3% it won't show up under "best new music".
12:59 AM on 06/25/13
moneymaker.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
their best album yet? really surprised to hear that, ill have to check it out!
01:38 AM on 06/25/13
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
If it's a 3% it won't show up under "best new music".
respect. ill peep this fa sho.
01:55 AM on 06/25/13
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
Good review; haven't really listened to ABR in years, but I could use a new metalcore fix, and this seems like a nice entry point back into their catalog.

Also, I don't get why a recommendation-based scales can't just be correlated to a numerical scale so that everyone can be happy/shut up. 9-10 is highly recommended, 7-8 is generally recommended, 5-6 is recommended only for fans of the band/genre, 3-4 is not recommended, and 1-2 is to be avoided at all costs. Simple enough, I think.
01:56 AM on 06/25/13
trevorshmevor
User Info.
It doesn't beat Constellations IMO, but I'm glad that it's so much better than Leveler. I do have complaints, but the album is good enough that it's easy to look past them.
03:09 AM on 06/25/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
This band intrigues me so much. What they can do, and what they do do, are two totally different things, and yet whatever they do, it's not bad, it's great in fact.
03:13 AM on 06/25/13
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I enjoyed your review. Where is this interview that you are talking about? Has it been posted yet?
03:20 AM on 06/25/13
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
The score is completely irrelevant. What matters the most is that 1) I highly recommend this album, and 2) You take the time to check it out.

Agreed
05:01 AM on 06/25/13
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
Listened to this on my way to work this morning. On the second last song still, but color me impressed. Didn't care for the last one but this pulled me back. Very technical and melodic, progressive but unique. Not sure how long it'll hold my attention but it really shows this band's talent and musicianship, and everyone should check it out.

Great review.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version