Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 180
08:10 AM on 07/08/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Really enjoyed this review.

Guess I need to spend more time with this record/band in general. They've never clicked with me.
08:18 AM on 07/08/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Suppose I'll have to relisten. So far this is the biggest disappointment of the year for me.
08:50 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And Dear God, don't base your opinions on a YouTube stream/rip.
08:58 AM on 07/08/13
CorySpotts
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agreed.

Maybe someone like Nick Raskulinecz or Matt Goldman.
Matt Goldman would have been an amazing choice for sure.

I love when heavy bands make records with unconventional production, it's almost always more interesting to me. Look at "The Shape of Punk to Come" for a good example of this, or the stuff Kurt Ballou turns out, or the aforementioned Mr. Goldman. I think doing things differently gives a record more character and more longevity.
09:06 AM on 07/08/13
Viva Sonata
javadeer.tumblr.com
User Info.
What I was going to say.

Record is killer. I love it to pieces.
09:13 AM on 07/08/13
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
User Info.
Great review, Jack.

Not sure how I feel about this album yet. I absolutely love Fake History and I thought this was a major step down after the first two or three listens. I definitely plan to give it more listens. Hopefully I'll change my mind. I think Banshee and Empty Elvis are fantastic.
09:15 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
09:16 AM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
The piss poor production really holds the record back.

Good review though
09:18 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review, Jack.

Not sure how I feel about this album yet. I absolutely love Fake History and I thought this was a major step down after the first two or three listens. I definitely plan to give it more listens. Hopefully I'll change my mind. I think Banshee and Empty Elvis are fantastic.
Definitely give it more listens. If "Empty Elvis" is one of your favorites, you're hanging on to the track most like Fake History - dig in deeper to the record.
09:19 AM on 07/08/13
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
This album is wonderful, and right on par with Fake History, at least for me. Can't stop listening.
09:40 AM on 07/08/13
Quijiba
User Info.
great review. I absolutely love this album
09:50 AM on 07/08/13
sfpunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think this is my favorite review of yours.

That being said, no mention of Jason really channeling Michael Jackson in melody structure and vocal styling, coupled with the Stephen George's production assistance. It feels very, very intentional and I love that so much.

Listen to "The Dope Beat" and hear Jason's phrasing on "Now I don't know what to do / how to do it" and that "Come on UH" at 1:52.

So many little things about this album make it for me.

Thank you. I never mentioned this as I thought I'd sound crazy but the vocals are very Michael Jackson like at parts. There's one specific song (I can't remember which one now) but I love it. HIs voice is so unique in this type of music. So much vibrato and passion.
09:56 AM on 07/08/13
sfpunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The piss poor production really holds the record back.

Good review though

I think someone else had this argument but is it really the production or is it the mixing? The songs themselves are superbly written but the choice of tones (I guess this is the producers doing?) and mixing is what gets me. I don't think it's bad, it's just different. I'm listening to the dope beat now and the breakdown part at 2:37 sounds awesome. It's a bit bass heavy but the more I listen, the more I get it. It's not muddy, or lacking clarity and it was definitely a conscious choice, it's just not what I was expecting or used to for this type of music.
09:57 AM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
I think someone else had this argument but is it really the production or is it the mixing? The songs themselves are superbly written but the choice of tones (I guess this is the producers doing?) and mixing is what gets me. I don't think it's bad, it's just different. I'm listening to the dope beat now and the breakdown part at 2:37 sounds awesome. It's a bit bass heavy but the more I listen, the more I get it. It's not muddy, or lacking clarity and it was definitely a conscious choice, it's just not what I was expecting or used to for this type of music.
i kind of included mixing in there when i said "production." there were probably some mistakes made on the mastering side. but the drums sound horrible and the guitar tones are muddy, which is the producers doing.
09:59 AM on 07/08/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i kind of included mixing in there when i said "production." there were probably some mistakes made on the mastering side. but the drums sound horrible and the guitar tones are muddy, which is the producers doing.

Yeah, I'd say this is a producer's job as well - there's plenty of hands-off producers who don't touch the songs, structurally.

The most telling aspect to me is my consistent need to turn up the volume during my favorite parts. I should feel surrounded by the music - not that it's being blasted at me. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't affect my love for the record.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos