AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 180
03:51 PM on 07/10/13
designerbandaid
User Info.
loved this review. i always find just forcing a cd in your stereo can make everything better...ive had the cd since saturday and yesterday it hit me. i cant stop listening
07:24 PM on 07/10/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
really i was only talking about a few vocal similarities between jason's delivery in the chorus and whatever the fuck the other guy's stage name is but it was just a joke

they don't really sound too much like anyone else...those songs just feature the same atrocious production as the others and don't feature anything interesting enough to set them apart like virgin dirt, 27 club and maybe one or two others.
09:02 PM on 07/10/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Surprised by the lack of talk on the lyrics of this album. Very blatant most of the time (because I'm a fan of imagery), but holy shit, that doesn't take away from the messages he's trying to convey this time around, which I think are summed up very well, overall, in the last minute or so of "27 Club." Sitting down with the lyrics is what made this album click so fast with me.

This album is phenomenal, especially within the vocal delivery of "The Dope Beat" and "27 Club." I don't understand the dismay with the choruses this time around. Were you not present for Fake History? They were there too, in the same capacity.

Fuck talking about the production. They still get their point across, musically and thematically.
the lyrics are very insipid...
09:58 PM on 07/10/13
Helen Keller.
Moustache Cash Stash
User Info.
All of the above makes you exactly the person this review is aimed at. Like I said, there's a definite learning curve to this record, and my review's goal is to provide the roadmap past the barriers to entry, so you can enjoy the songs.

That said, I'm not exactly sure what kind of post-hardcore would please you. You say the record has "everything [you] hate about modern posthardcore," then claim they're constantly ripping off Refused and Glassjaw...which isn't modern posthardcore. Those seem to be conflicting thoughts. And I really can't name a modern posthardcore band I'd compare Letlive to - would you mind naming a few? Curious who out there compares.

Also, I think it's incredibly tough for The Blackest Beautiful to be your first exposure to Letlive. Fake History is more straightforward with better production - it's a much easier first listen.
Probably a bit pedantic by now, but they vaguely remind me of Envy on the Coast. I'd agree though, Fake History is a far better intro to letlive, but I wouldn't quite say that any letlive record is immediately accessible. Fantastic record though.

Goddamn, what a great year for music.
11:16 PM on 07/10/13
FTank
Blank
User Info.
cool review, I've never heard this band but I think i'll check out the album now.
12:14 AM on 07/11/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Production is just atrocious and I have a really hard time believing it's intentional. Sure, they tried to stray from the norm of the "everything-level-and-clean" style and go for something a bit more raw but the levels are so out of sync with this is so many places that make absolutely no sense. I'm chalking it up to it being self-produced and just possibly trial-and-error.
I agree; I wouldn't go as far to say it's intentional. Frankly, I think they're a little stubborn, and that's why it turned out this way. I just don't think it's so much of a bad thing. You know how much of a stickler I am for production - these songs are just so good that I don't care that the production was bobbled.

White America, Fear and Used Cars are all awful.
Agree that Used Cars is the weakest, but White America's a big song for me.

the lyrics are very insipid...
Haha, you really don't care for this record, do you?

i could lay out about 20 reasons why white america sounds nothing like aveneged sevenfold but it would prove that i know far too much about a7x's music not to be made fun of so i'll just ~bow out!
When I pre-ordered The Dangerous Summer's new record, I also bought A7X's self-titled on vinyl. Fight me. And I miss The Rev.
04:51 AM on 07/11/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
I agree; I wouldn't go as far to say it's intentional. Frankly, I think they're a little stubborn, and that's why it turned out this way. I just don't think it's so much of a bad thing. You know how much of a stickler I am for production - these songs are just so good that I don't care that the production was bobbled.

Agree that Used Cars is the weakest, but White America's a big song for me.

Haha, you really don't care for this record, do you?

When I pre-ordered The Dangerous Summer's new record, I also bought A7X's self-titled on vinyl. Fight me. And I miss The Rev.
Yeah, I mean, like I said I think they have their best material to date here. It's just unfortunately sandwiched with some of their worst for me. It's not as cohesive in my eyes as it seems to be for some.
08:44 AM on 07/11/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.

heh, waking the fallen was the first vinyl i ever bought
01:23 PM on 07/11/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
I'm listening now- really well written review. But some of the songs on here, oof.
06:52 PM on 07/11/13
Sam Zimmerman
User Info.
And Dear God, don't base your opinions on a YouTube stream/rip.
Jack, you totally predicted that this thread would eventually turn into an A7X discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzX0rhF8buo
07:46 PM on 07/11/13
nowFace
You're irreversible
User Info.
White America is like my favorite song right now....
02:04 PM on 07/12/13
Hkyman089
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'd also suggest given it a listen at the gym... can be 'inspirational'.
02:36 PM on 07/12/13
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
White America is like my favorite song right now....
Same
02:52 PM on 07/12/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
After strugging for ages to get into this band/this record, I finally really enjoy it. A main reason I couldn't get into this one is because I don't like the nu-metal-ish moments of "Banshee." I like the rest of the record much more.
05:05 PM on 07/12/13
Freud
User Info.
dammit i cant think of the name of the band they remind me of. OTHER than glassjaw. the chorus of banshee he sounds like someone else, grrr its on the tip of my tongue.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos