Username
Password
Drama News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Drama
Inside AP.net

The Weeknd Releases New Song With Uncleared Sample

Posted by: Ryan Dennehy (07/15/13)
The Weeknd released a video for a new song titled "Belong to the World" last night and was then promptly called out by Portishead member Geoff Barrow for using an uncleared Portishead sample. Barrow has since also commented that it "its got fuk all to do with money! As most of them are hiphop artist that are skint."

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 48
06:17 AM on 07/15/13
Ryan Dennehy
I guess "skint" means without money... which sounds ridiculous since The Weeknd is on a major.
06:21 AM on 07/15/13
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
... Whatever.
06:25 AM on 07/15/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
I don't understand what I just read
06:28 AM on 07/15/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Who's Barrow?
06:31 AM on 07/15/13
WRLD ART
Pound for Pound.
User Info.
What?
06:31 AM on 07/15/13
Ryan Dennehy
edited for clarity, but he's a member of Portishead
06:32 AM on 07/15/13
Capulet
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
huh
06:36 AM on 07/15/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
"its got fuk all to do with money! As most of them are hiphop artist that are skint."

That's the quote of the year. I have no idea what it means, but it still is.
06:47 AM on 07/15/13
j-dogg_69
At Full Speed
User Info.
I guess "skint" means without money... which sounds ridiculous since The Weeknd is on a major.
It does
07:03 AM on 07/15/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is all about respect.
The reason he's mentioning hip hop specifically is because of how they tend to use samples. Believe it or not, most artists aren't into someone taking the core of your song and just singing on top of it.

What he's saying makes total sense. The Weeknd deserves to get sued up the ass for this one. If you ask, you better comply because the artist made their decision.

This is a prime example of doing it the wrong way. I can't think of anything they could've done to handle this in a worse way.
07:06 AM on 07/15/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
This is all about respect.
The reason he's mentioning hip hop specifically is because of how they tend to use samples. Believe it or not, most artists aren't into someone taking the core of your song and just singing on top of it.

What he's saying makes total sense. The Weeknd deserves to get sued up the ass for this one. If you ask, you better comply because the artist made their decision.
"its got fuk all to do with money! As most of them are hiphop artist that are skint." sounds like the most respectful statement ever.
07:07 AM on 07/15/13
halfeaten
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"its got fuk all to do with money! As most of them are hiphop artist that are skint." sounds like the most respectful statement ever.

Some brits are unbelievably awful with text. They still do it like they did it with single-line cells in '96.
07:19 AM on 07/15/13
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.

I think he's saying, "I don't give a fuck about the money." Also in another tweet he basically said they turned it down because they didn't like the song.
07:28 AM on 07/15/13
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
This doesn't really surprise me. The Weeknd got his sound from his original producer and then kicked him to the curb. Drake helped him get noticed and he said "whatever" and signed with someone else. I like his music, but he obviously has no problems with using and abusing other artists to get ahead.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests