AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Radiohead News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Thom Yorke and Atoms for Peace are Boycotting Spotify

Posted by - 11:42 AM on 07/15/13
Thom Yorke and Atoms for Peace are "boycotting" Spotify.
Saying they are defending the rights of new and emerging recording artists, Thom Yorke and Atoms for Peace have removed their tracks from Spotify, the commercial music streaming service.

Submitted by justballz

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 72
11:49 AM on 07/15/13
ImAMetaphor
forget everything you know
User Info.
What seems to be the controversy behind this? I must not be familiar with it.
11:51 AM on 07/15/13
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
OK Computer.
11:53 AM on 07/15/13
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Good for them
11:54 AM on 07/15/13
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
the royalities that artists get from Spotify are embarrassingly low, it's really a terrible model from the artist side of things
11:54 AM on 07/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Already own most of the Radiohead albums ... but removing the Atoms for Peace album really is the difference between me listening to it (which I have a few times) and not.

I like it alright, but wouldn't buy it.

O well.
11:55 AM on 07/15/13
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.

It's not necessarily a controversy... They just see the reality that up and coming bands that release their first full lengths need to make sales of it to pay back the label. This is also a way of proving to their label that they're a financially viable investment. Spotify makes that more difficult by cutting into the sales.
11:59 AM on 07/15/13
ImAMetaphor
User Info.
It's not necessarily a controversy... They just see the reality that up and coming bands that release their first full lengths need to make sales of it to pay back the label. This is also a way of proving to their label that they're a financially viable investment. Spotify makes that more difficult by cutting into the sales.
Yeah, I can understand that. I was unaware Spotify was so cheap, in that regard. Makes me think twice about using it so often.
12:00 PM on 07/15/13
ImAMetaphor
User Info.
the royalities that artists get from Spotify are embarrassingly low, it's really a terrible model from the artist side of things
Bummer. I've always been on board with it because of the convenience factor. However, if I'm not supporting an artist by using it... well shit.
12:02 PM on 07/15/13
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
User Info.
As long as its legal I'll still stick with Spotify. I honestly don't have a very big budget for music (married with a kid) so the $10/month gets me a ton of music for a low price. I also find tons of artists on there I would have never heard about or listened to without it. I understand the revenue side of things but everything's going digital and I don't think boycotting these services is necessarily the answer.
12:18 PM on 07/15/13
disconinja2008
User Info.
This might be the first Thom Yorke move I STRONGLY disagree with. I read his and Nigel's spiels on the situation and I don't believe they are being fan-friendly or realistic about the state of music.

People steal music. That's a fact. Artists must accept that. Spotify is just a way to make it easier for a listener to try hearing a band--if not Spotify, Grooveshark--if not Grooveshark, YouTube. It's all about exposure so that band can sell merch, get people to shows, and, yes, even sell more albums! If a band isn't on Spotify, that's just a vessel to expose themselves that they aren't using.

I truly hope this is the only time that Nigel and Thom act this naive.
12:23 PM on 07/15/13
don't fret
When In Rome
User Info.
Surprised more bands haven't done this. I think for a band with such a dedicated fan base as Radiohead they will be more financially successful going this route. From what I understand they make absolutely nothing off of these streams. I think it makes sense for bands who are coming up to have it on Spotify/Rdio to gain more exposure. People often find new upcoming bands from recommend listening in the UI. Interesting move though, wonder if more bands will follow.
12:27 PM on 07/15/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Does anyone have stats on how much people spend on albums before and after signing up for a Spotify/Rdio subscription?

I think most people realize that subscription music services aren't supposed to be a replacement to supporting the bands you like. You should still go see them perform, buy merch, get physical copies of the albums you like, and so on.

But the internet has changed the way music words. People can get everything for free illegally without much hassle so you can't add too much hassle / cost to your service or otherwise you'll get nothing at all. Sure that it is a little strong-arm tactic to claim "you can make pennies with us or nothing at all", but its reality. Don't get me wrong, Thom should have every right to do what he wants with his music. I just think this move is rather short-sighted to claim "I don't make much money directly off Spotify royalties, therefore I don't want my music on Spotify"
12:32 PM on 07/15/13
ImAMetaphor
User Info.
The thing is, if I'm just getting into a band I'm not going to immediately head to the record store and pick up their CD. I'm gonna hit up Youtube or Spotify and see if I enjoy it enough to purchase.

However, if I do enjoy it, I will head to the record store and SUPPORT the artist. I'd be a liar if I said I've never illegally downloaded music, but it's not a practice I regularly engage in.

In summation; support the artists you love. They deserve that from you, the listener.
End rant.
12:36 PM on 07/15/13
The Old Black
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Does anyone have stats on how much people spend on albums before and after signing up for a Spotify/Rdio subscription?

I think most people realize that subscription music services aren't supposed to be a replacement to supporting the bands you like. You should still go see them perform, buy merch, get physical copies of the albums you like, and so on.

But the internet has changed the way music words. People can get everything for free illegally without much hassle so you can't add too much hassle / cost to your service or otherwise you'll get nothing at all. Sure that it is a little strong-arm tactic to claim "you can make pennies with us or nothing at all", but its reality. Don't get me wrong, Thom should have every right to do what he wants with his music. I just think this move is rather short-sighted to claim "I don't make much money directly off Spotify royalties, therefore I don't want my music on Spotify"

This isn't a stat...just my personal experience...

I used to buy 3-5 CDs per month, up until last year. Ever since having Rdio I might only buy 10-15 per year.

I understand supporting the smaller artists is important, but when I can have 99% of what I want accessible on my phone for $10 a month...I'm less likely to buy CDs. That's just the honest truth.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos