AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Property of Zack News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

POZ Decade: Yellowcard's "Ocean Avenue"

Posted by - 03:46 PM on 07/23/13
PropertyOfZack has posted a new "Decade" article featuring Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
04:27 PM on 07/23/13
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
can't believe it's been 10 years, i'm getting way too old
05:20 PM on 07/23/13
circasurvivor
User Info.
can't believe it's been 10 years, i'm getting way too old
Especially when I read that the guy who is covering the Ocean Ave legacy question was 12 when he first heard it. How could you really relate to Ocean Ave when your 12? I was 17, turning 18, when it came out, leaving high school, and going through a horrible high school breakup with a girl I was with for those 4 years( I got the short end of that relationship) so I really connected with this album. I've loved every album(lights and sounds took some growing) since hearing October Nights on napster/kaaza or whatever illegal downloading program it was at the time. The only time this band let me down was with the hiatus because Paperwalls was fantastic. I'm so glad they got back together.
05:30 PM on 07/23/13
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Especially when I read that the guy who is covering the Ocean Ave legacy question was 12 when he first heard it. How could you really relate to Ocean Ave when your 12? I was 17, turning 18, when it came out, leaving high school, and going through a horrible high school breakup with a girl I was with for those 4 years( I got the short end of that relationship) so I really connected with this album. I've loved every album(lights and sounds took some growing) since hearing October Nights on napster/kaaza or whatever illegal downloading program it was at the time. The only time this band let me down was with the hiatus because Paperwalls was fantastic. I'm so glad they got back together.
I was 12 when I first heard it, too, and I immediately fell in love with it. English is not my first language (I'm Italian) and at that time I couldn't really understand it well, so I guess that what got me was the music. I remember Breathing being the first song I heard, becuase it was in the Burnout 3 soundtrack; then my best friend went to America for a couple of weeks on holiday and came back with the CD and we spent the whole summer listening to it.
05:41 PM on 07/23/13
circasurvivor
User Info.
I was 12 when I first heard it, too, and I immediately fell in love with it. English is not my first language (I'm Italian) and at that time I couldn't really understand it well, so I guess that what got me was the music. I remember Breathing being the first song I heard, becuase it was in the Burnout 3 soundtrack; then my best friend went to America for a couple of weeks on holiday and came back with the CD and we spent the whole summer listening to it.
Thanks for helping me understand. I guess it was the same for me when I heard Blink 182(dude ranch)/AFI(answer that stay fashionable) when I was 12, though their lyrics were SLIGHTLY more immature hehe.
05:55 PM on 07/23/13
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
I was18 years old when this album came out. I'm old.
05:59 PM on 07/23/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
You may not to relate to every lyric in a literal sense at that age, but that doesn't mean it didn't have some importance at the time. I believe I was 12 when I first heard it as well, but it was the first album that I could just sit there and listen to on repeat for hours.

There were some problems at home for me at that age, but listening to "Ocean Avenue" made everything disappear for awhile. Hell, I still feel that peace when I'm listening to it.
06:08 PM on 07/23/13
mka12992
polarisamour.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I was probably 11 when I got the CD. I obviously couldn't relate to the lyrics, but that didn't stop me from loving the album.
06:29 PM on 07/23/13
ConnorPOZ
User Info.
I didn't write the section you guys are talking about (I did the follow up about Lights & Sounds) but I was either 11 or 12 when I first heard the album. As a string player who was burning out this kept me from quitting and now I'm in music school as a result.
07:29 PM on 07/23/13
hintsofgold
blue
User Info.
Since when could you only love/feel a connection to an album if you could relate to the lyrics..?
07:35 PM on 07/23/13
strikefirefall
User Info.
Especially when I read that the guy who is covering the Ocean Ave legacy question was 12 when he first heard it. How could you really relate to Ocean Ave when your 12?

Age is irrelevant when discussing whether or not you can relate to an album. I got this album as a birthday gift when I was 12 and was hooked on it the second I put it into my cd player. I'm currently 21 and I still relate and listen to this album.

View from Heaven is about losing someone close to you. Empty Apartment is about having that empty space in your life/heart. Anyone at any age can relate to those situations; and those are only 2 examples.

So maybe I wasn't a teenager when I first heard the album, but I could still relate to the album in many ways.
08:06 PM on 07/23/13
circasurvivor
User Info.
Thanks for everyone's feedback. After reading the comments I definitely realize that as I've gotten older, the more cynical of an asshole I've become.
09:39 PM on 07/23/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Thanks for everyone's feedback. After reading the comments I definitely realize that as I've gotten older, the more cynical of an asshole I've become.
hahaha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version