Username
Password

Comments: Page 9
Displaying posts 120 - 135 of 212
01:09 PM on 07/25/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Fair enough, thank you for providing a more in-depth explanation. I personally don't think it's worth trying to judge a piece of art if you don't care about it and you're not willing to invest anything in it, but I understand that you want this band to progress and, since they haven't done that, you have a hard time getting past the surface of the music to appreciate what's underneath.

That said, I am genuinely surprised that you think "Northern Lights" and "Permanent Rain" were the sound of aband going somewhere when the later material lets you down so much. For all my love of Reach for the Sun, it's a pretty one-note affair from a musical standpoint. The layers in those songs peel away because of the lyrical content and AJ's emotional delivery, the very things you are rejecting here. I can understand there being a law of diminishing returns for something like that when it's done repeatedly, and maybe you were in a place when you first heard those songs that made them really resonate with you, whereas it all feels kind of hollow now, but I still think it's weird that you no longer care about a band that, I gather, once actually meant something to you.
I liked AJ's vocals and delivery in Reach for the Sun. I easily prefer them over this or most of Warpaint. it was more reserved at times, and just as dramatic as this (well maybe not quite as dramatic), but it was done so only when it needed to be or when it seemed to be appropriate (of course, nostalgia being heavily at work here, but I genuinely consider Reach for the Sun far superior to Warpaint).

I want them to progress their sound because it still feels like they're in the same place (at the surface level anyways) as they were when I was 14. and now that I'm not 14 anymore, it feels like I've outgrown them...and I don't like that feeling...
01:09 PM on 07/25/13
saintnumberfive
Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping
User Info.
Very niiiice.

Borat joke. Nailed it!
01:11 PM on 07/25/13
starsinhand
User Info.
Dope city to the max
01:30 PM on 07/25/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No iTunes link yet? :(
01:33 PM on 07/25/13
sweetforever
User Info.
I picture listening to this on a night drive, with the windows down, blasting this. Want this album now.
01:37 PM on 07/25/13
PandaBear!
\m/ (-.-) \m/
User Info.
really enjoyed that, great work. Not too familiar with these guys but the first time i heard the song 'war paint' it fucking blew me away; so emotional !!!
Love the guy's singing voice/style too.
01:42 PM on 07/25/13
NorthstarPark
Jiggin'
User Info.
I skimmed through the song, his vocals sound like the guy from Hinder.
01:47 PM on 07/25/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I liked AJ's vocals and delivery in Reach for the Sun. I easily prefer them over this or most of Warpaint. it was more reserved at times, and just as dramatic as this (well maybe not quite as dramatic), but it was done so only when it needed to be or when it seemed to be appropriate (of course, nostalgia being heavily at work here, but I genuinely consider Reach for the Sun far superior to Warpaint).

I want them to progress their sound because it still feels like they're in the same place (at the surface level anyways) as they were when I was 14. and now that I'm not 14 anymore, it feels like I've outgrown them...and I don't like that feeling...

See, I would argue that it DOES need to be dramatic here and that the way he sings this song is perfectly appropriate for the subject matter, but you wouldn't get that if you didn't know what it was about or weren't paying attention to the lyrics. I love Reach for the Sun and I have a very nostalgic connection to it as well. I still think War Paint was a better album from a songwriting perspective though, so I guess I would say they have progressed, though nothing they've done has been a major departure. It's sort of like Jimmy Eat World to me: they aren't changing a whole lot from album to album from a musical perspective, but I still love the way they sound and I still relate to the thing they're singing about.
01:49 PM on 07/25/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I picture listening to this on a night drive, with the windows down, blasting this. Want this album now.

Did that on the Fourth of July. Was epic as fuck.
01:50 PM on 07/25/13
Merkin
A Fine Evening For a Rogue
User Info.
is there any reason if i just want to buy the cd it costs 20 bucks + shipping? that also includes a poster, but the poster shouldn't be 10 bucks.
01:53 PM on 07/25/13
guill89
The Proud, The Loud, The Many
User Info.
First time listening to that band (yeah ... I know..)... this is a great song! Gonna give them a listen tonight. Really digging that tune.
02:00 PM on 07/25/13
streetcar
User Info.
oh the internet.. why dont you guys live with the song for a while then get back on here and post your thoughts.. its impossible to take in a song the first time you hear it and everything they put in to make the record.. Youll be missing out on alot of great bands or records if you just write off the song the first time you hear it..
02:03 PM on 07/25/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I'm up to 40 plays on this thing since I got Golden Record. Finally getting to read the lyrics has solidified it as my favorite song they've ever done, or at least right up there with "Never Feel Alone."
02:14 PM on 07/25/13
Voiles
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Are there any songs with quicker tempos on the record?
02:19 PM on 07/25/13
Jesse061890
User Info.
We'll be miles apart...

But I'll keep you deep inside, you're always in my heartttttttttt.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos