The Grey Man
Team Larz
User Info.
Awesome "review"
08:02 AM on 08/13/13
davecerv
davecerv
User Info.
Very well done Mr. Thomas! Kinda bummed that Pete wasn't the one who played piano on oysm but whoa they got CJ Vanston to play piano!? He's great I really enjoy the work he is doing with Steve Lukather these days. It wouldve been nice if they recorded Only One on piano also.
08:57 AM on 08/13/13
BroNamath
Life's a Garden, Dig it!
User Info.
Very Awesome "review" sums it up perfectly. Got my vinyl today and its gorgeous.
08:59 AM on 08/13/13
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Really great review

The singles from this album were some of my favorite songs when I was little and I remember buying Lights and Sounds and constantly having it in my CD player. But it's really awesome that now like you said music means way more to me and I can relate on a personal level to almost all these songs
09:35 AM on 08/13/13
matthewkyle
User Info.
"I think the record that first makes you an active music listener is one of the most important albums of your life. Perhaps it isn't always one of your favorite albums, but it's certainly a mile marker for a young music fanatic."

This hits the nail on the head.
09:45 AM on 08/13/13
DylanPPPP
snooch to the nooch mother fucker
User Info.
I really enjoyed reading this. I knew about this release but had no idea when it was coming out. After reading this, I can't wait to check it out.

Edit: and just for shits because its fun discussion, my defining record that got me into music was Define The Great Line and some aspects of this review are what I always talk about when I explain why I have the Underoath logo inked on my body.
10:12 AM on 08/13/13
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
Was pop rock really a "newly blossoming genre" is 2003?
11:19 AM on 08/13/13
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
It depends. Ultimately, I would say no from a general pop rock view. However, Yellowcard had great timing with Ocean Avenue in that the pop punk scene (Drive Thru and all of that) was blossoming at the time.
11:39 AM on 08/13/13
surgerone
User Info.
This is my favorite piece of writing from Sir Nassiff so far.
12:05 PM on 08/13/13
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Great album, and an acoustic version is just a bonus in my opinion. The original is a gift enough, so an acoustic is just boner material.
12:58 PM on 08/13/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Pop-punk certainly was. That was the ultimate time for songs like "Ocean Avenue" to be on the radio.
12:58 PM on 08/13/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
This is my favorite piece of writing from Sir Nassiff so far.
Thanks very much.
01:51 PM on 08/13/13
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
Excellent read. I enjoyed that very much.
05:12 PM on 08/13/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Great read Thomas. The opening reminded me of why I still love Green Day. International Superhits was the first CD I became obsessed with, along with Take Off Your Pants and Jacket and, to a lesser extent at the time, Does This Look Infected?. When American Idiot came out it was the first time I wanted to buy a new CD. And it blew me away. I think most users will be able to appreciate that sentiment.
06:44 PM on 08/13/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
"I think the record that first makes you an active music listener is one of the most important albums of your life. Perhaps it isn't always one of your favorite albums, but it's certainly a mile marker for a young music fanatic."

This hits the nail on the head.

Yep, I never really got into Yellowcard, but I can relate to the overall sentiment of this piece. And 2003 was an important year for me musically as well. I started listening to some punk earlier (thanks to my older sister) but I didn't really truly become obsessed until I was 12/13.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums