Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 36
09:40 AM on 08/16/13
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
Some parts of the review seem a bit confusing to me. Like this:

"Instrumentally, the band aren’t at their most exciting and there’s very little to be taken aback by, however to desire that would be to miss the point of Letters Home. This is a DIY album, a straight up album made for angry tears. Anything different would be doing battle with its predecessor and would leave the band with little room for progression in the future."

The first part of the first sentence is okay, but then in the third sentence you go on to imply that the band have deliberately and consciously chosen to not write an album as good as the one that came before it, as though they're resting on their laurels. Is that badly worded, misinterpreted, or are you saying the band didn't want to write the best album they possibly could?

And I think you could take that second sentence out entirely.

I thought this album was kinda plain, personally. The musicianship feels a lot more deliberate, whereas I preferred the more cathartic outbursts of Empty Days.
Nah. This record is less experimental than its predecessor. If they were to do another Empty Days - another epic of sorts - firstly, it'd be impossible for them to top Empty Days, secondly, that would be what the band would become known as, the band that makes epic hardcore albums. By going back to their roots, the next record can be however they want it to be.
11:49 AM on 08/16/13
JayDanielHammer
then-now-maggle.tumblr.com
User Info.
Is it less than 36 hours?

Agreed.

Yeah now I can sleep!

Thank you for reviewing this since you're the most trustworthy reviewer here IMHO.
12:17 PM on 08/16/13
likedyingy0ung
your new charmer
User Info.
Nah. This record is less experimental than its predecessor. If they were to do another Empty Days - another epic of sorts - firstly, it'd be impossible for them to top Empty Days, secondly, that would be what the band would become known as, the band that makes epic hardcore albums. By going back to their roots, the next record can be however they want it to be.
Exactly, and they can't just make epic hardcore albums every two years; that's what PBTT is for.

It was a really good record, I'm just disappointed in the payoff in terms of story, personally. This is the first Defeater record where I haven't been able to feel like I've come away understanding what happened in the narrative after my first few listens through. All I really got was that the dad beat his wife cause she pissed him off by sleeping around with her drug dealers and so he started killing them, and he went to war when he was young and it sucked and at some point his brother drowned back home and apparently he blamed himself?

I'd have liked it a lot more if there had been more storyline heavy tracks, that's all. I'll probably have to catch the band at a show so I can ask Derek what exactly was going on.
01:28 PM on 08/16/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
This album was so good
01:54 PM on 08/16/13
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
My album of the year right now. I listen to "No Savior" constantly. That song is so incredible, as is the rest of the album. The intensity, the passion, and the power is so captivating.
02:15 PM on 08/16/13
liarsenal
human equivalent of nachos.
User Info.
This record is amazing. I've been listening to it non-stop. "Bastards", "No Relief", and "Rabbit Foot" (this one especially speaks to me lyrically) are just fucking fantastic.

Great review, by the way. Best I've seen on the netz so far.
02:24 PM on 08/16/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
very much dig this album. i don't listen to hardcore very much and this is just straightforward enough to provide what i want while being interesting.
02:50 PM on 08/16/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
new modern life is war >>
03:35 PM on 08/16/13
PetitnaindesÎles
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
one of my biggest disappointments of the year so far
04:18 PM on 08/16/13
rushour144
User Info.
Great album...doesn't wow me like Empty Days does, but still a solid album.
05:35 PM on 08/16/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Your music taste = My music taste = Totally awesome.
04:00 AM on 08/17/13
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.

Okay, thanks! That's better and more clear than the review. Your last sentence there should be the last sentence of your review.
08:37 AM on 08/17/13
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
Your music taste = My music taste = Totally awesome.
= You + me =
03:44 PM on 08/17/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
05:47 AM on 08/20/13
parasonic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's amazing to me that a hardcore band could write such amazing tracks in 6/8 (no kind of home/blood in my eyes). Both of them are stand out tracks on their respective releases. Writing in 6/8 with a hard groove is difficult but they use 6/8 as a way to open up the phrases for their drummer, giving him 6 beats in a measure instead of 4. And they do it without having a cheesy 3/4 pirate gallop. Just awesome. Letters Home is closer to Travels in structure but tones are more like EDSN. EDSN might still be their best release as a whole but I would never say Letters Home disappoints. And the vinyl packaging, like EDSN, is top notch; great colors and the booklet could be a coffee table book if it was hardcover. Shows the band really cares.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos